Need help - I'm completely confused about metadata management

TomTiddler

TomTiddler

OK - I should start by saying I'm trying to solve what seemed like a simple problem. Some of my .mkv rips don't show a running time. That's it.

Now for some details and experiments. When I first noticed this I checked the .nfo files and the movie.xml files (I use both). All movies that failed to display a running time were missing the appropriate fields (either <Runningtime> or <runtime> respectively). Seemed like that would be trivial to fix :-)

First attempt was to add the appropriate entries to the files, run "Scan media library" and restart the server. Not only did the movies NOT show a running time, but the .nfo and .xml files had both been updated and the added fields removed. This was a surprise, since the movie databases both have correct running times. (I use tmdb and imdb).

I then added the entries again and set <lockdata> to true. Rescan and restart, movies still show no running time but files are intact and have running times specified. Hmmmm.

I'm still experimenting but feel like I lack an understanding of the processes involved in metadata updates, so some questions for the experts ........

I'd like to find out

1) what is the sequence of events when I use each of a) Local refresh, B) Replace missing data, and c) full refresh. In particular which of local cache data, server database or metadata provider are involved.

2) Also, is there any way to guarantee/force the .nfo or .xml data into the database?

I've tried by experiment to find/guess when and how the various elements are updated/used (server cache, database, metadata scrapers), but none of the results make sense. If anyone can help me understand I'd appreciate it.

Edited by TomTiddler

Hello and welcome. Runtime is something that we don't pull from nfo files and instead probe the media directly. it sounds like perhaps it may have failed for your mkv in question or perhaps just hadn't completed yet which led you to take action. Try refreshing that item again and if it's still not there then please provide the server log:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/739-how-to-report-a-problem/

To answer your other metadata questions, yes, normally the process you're using to edit fields is fine, for example if you wanted to edit the name. But not for raw media info that we probe for dynamically.

TomTiddler

Thanks for the quick response. Can I perhaps ask why you would not allow the metadata to override>

TomTiddler

I should maybe add that all of the movies play "correctly" start to end, it's just that I can't fast forward or backup, or even see how long the movie is.

Thanks for the quick response. Can I perhaps ask why you would not allow the metadata to override>

Because we use that information for transcoding and playback and it needs to be accurate and discoverable from the media or this is gonna happen...

... I can't fast forward or backup, or even see how long the movie is.

TomTiddler

Got it. I was digging thru the logs and found quite a few entries like this ...

2016-03-22 01:00:00.3157 Info App: Stopping chapter extraction for The Martian because a chapter was found with a position greater than the runtime.
2016-03-22 01:00:00.3157 Info App: Stopping chapter extraction for Welcome to the Punch because a chapter was found with a position greater than the runtime.
2016-03-22 01:00:00.3157 Info App: Stopping chapter extraction for Secret in Their Eyes because a chapter was found with a position greater than the runtime.
2016-03-22 01:00:00.3157 Info App: Stopping chapter extraction for Room because a chapter was found with a position greater than the runtime.
2016-03-22 01:00:00.3157 Info App: Stopping chapter extraction for A Most Wanted Man because a chapter was found with a position greater than the runtime.
2016-03-22 01:00:00.3157 Info App: Stopping chapter extraction for Cleanskin because a chapter was found with a position greater than the runtime.
2016-03-22 01:00:00.3228 Info App: Stopping chapter extraction for Mississippi Grind because a chapter was found with a position greater than the runtime.
2016-03-22 01:00:00.3228 Info App: Stopping chapter extraction for Trumbo because a chapter was found with a position greater than the runtime.
2016-03-22 01:00:00.3228 Info App: Stopping chapter extraction for The Big Short because a chapter was found with a position greater than the runtime.
2016-03-22 01:00:00.3228 Info App: Stopping chapter extraction for Sicario because a chapter was found with a position greater than the runtime.

Of course, these are exactly the movies that don't report a time. Sigh.

I'll see if I can dig a little deeper on what's different/changed in the process I use to rip these. Promise I won't bother you needlessly again (up until I get stumped again that is).

BTW. I love this product(s), and even more the extent to which help is forthcoming from these forums.

rhodges

Are those the only movies? Maybe the mkv is messed up? I wonder if remuxing them into a new mkv would "fix" them.

TomTiddler

So far yes. In case it helps, here's some of my process - I used to use ANYDVD to rip to BluRay folder structure. I started using CloneBD to deal with the occasional Cinavia disk, but still used BluRay folder structure. I then shifted to ripping to MKV to save a little space. Wasn't seeing any problems until a recent spate of MKV rips generating this error. Problem is, over the past few weeks several things have changed, e.g. CloneBD updated, Anydvd updated, Emby server updated - for all I know ffprobe/ffmpeg updated, or parameters changed in the ffprobe invocation by Emby.

I can always revert to Bluray folder, which has never failed, and just eat the 10GB or so per movie, but being a retired geek, I'm interested in the mechanics whenever possible :)