Happy but a Few Minor Issues/Questions/Requests

Cremby

Cremby

Hello,

I installed Emby a little less than 24hrs ago and have been impressed so far. Great job! I had one "deal-breaker" issue that I posted about in the forums and with a little research and a quick response, my issue was resolved.

However, there are a few minor things I'd like to clear up. I'm hoping some knowledgeable member or admin can address/provide answers for the following:

One of the reasons I left Plex was unexplained network traffic. Emby seems to do well in this department specifically pertaining to Internet traffic. However, I set up some logging last night and everything looked good except for some strange Nat-PMP/ICMP traffic. It would appear that every 10 minutes for about 1-2 minutes Emby sends something relating to the NAT-PMP protocol and my gateway provides an ICMP response of "Destination unreachable (Port unreachable)". Could someone please explain this traffic?

I would like to be able to turn off "Remote Access" (my external IP) to the server. I know that my firewall will prevent connections if I don't set up port forwarding but I'd still like to be able to disable it. Someone had requested this in the forums and the response was it's being looked at but it seems that the ability is not there yet. Is this something that will be added? Consider it a feature request. :)

I'd like the ability to install the server to a different directory. I know that the various paths can be changed from within the server. At the very least a link from the main server dashboard page under the "Paths" heading to the area where each corresponding path can be modified would be nice. It saves the user from having to click through all the menus to find the correct area. Also a feature request. :)

Are there any plans to release clients for Blu-ray players?

The multi-select feature is nice but it would be nice if there was a "mark selections as watched" option. This is particularly useful for new media servers where someone has a bunch of content they want to mark as watched. It's easy to mark a season but if you have half a season watched containing 30ish episodes, it's a lot of unnecessary clicking.

I have one file in my library that runs over 2 discs. This is fine on the web client but Roku doesn't seem to support the second disc. Is there a workaround for this? Will this feature eventually be supported? Someone had asked about it here http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/18374-multi-disc-play-on-roku/.

That's it. Emby seems solid so far. Aside from the Network issue, I know that everything else has been brought up before. However, I thought I'd take the opportunity to give the issues a bump since the threads I've found on said issues are a little dated.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Hi, welcome, glad to hear it. Try going to advanced -> hosting and turning off the automatic port mapper. Then restart the server and see if that eliminates the traffic you're seeing. thanks.

Deathsquirrel
Are there any plans to release clients for Blu-ray players?

I have one file in my library that runs over 2 discs. This is fine on the web client but Roku doesn't seem to support the second disc. Is there a workaround for this? Will this feature eventually be supported? Someone had asked about it here http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/18374-multi-disc-play-on-roku/.

1) I'd be stunned if there were both market demand and manufacturer acceptance of this idea but never say never I suppose.

2) Combine the two parts into a single file with MKVMerge.  Great free utility.

Cremby

Hi, welcome, glad to hear it. Try going to advanced -> hosting and turning off the automatic port mapper. Then restart the server and see if that eliminates the traffic you're seeing. thanks.

Thanks for the quick reply. I completely missed this option yesterday in the web client. I saw it today in the android client (it jumped right out at me). After turning it off and restarting, the traffic appears to have been eliminated.

Thanks again!

Good job on the Android app too. It's nice to be able to control the server remotely.

Cremby

1) I'd be stunned if there were both market demand and manufacturer acceptance of this idea but never say never I suppose.

2) Combine the two parts into a single file with MKVMerge.  Great free utility.

1. I'm not really sure why. My Blu-ray player has most of the media capabilities of a PS3/PS4 and runs very similar software. It has a better Netflix client than my Roku. It has a Plex client and hundreds of app channels. It has full DNLA support. Basically, it's on par with any Roku, Chromecast, Smart TV gaming console for media capabilities. The Sony Opera TV Store channel is browser based so it shouldn't be hard to create an Emby client for it. I was merely asking if there are any plans for one. I would love to see one since I use my Blu-ray player over my Roku for everything aside from Emby.

2. I previously used ffmpeg to command line merge the files. I lost my subtitle tracks and chapters. I know I can download alternate subtitles but that's not the point. I'll check out MKVMerge. However, since the web client supports multi-disc files, it might be nice to extend that to the other players. It's merely a suggestion. It's been discussed in these forums and has never been rejected.

Thanks

@@Luke say, someone were to want the roku to obtain the multipart pieces of a movie, say part1.avi and part2.avi split over 2 dvd. What would be the api endpoint to use for this? Is it the same call to get the movie + some filter? I only see a single mediasource listed and a single path. How do you get them all? I want to add this capability to play spanned movies, but not sure how to get the parts. Help please? Thanks. :)

Edited by speechles

@@Luke say, someone were to want the roku to obtain the multipart pieces of a movie, say part1.avi and part2.avi split over 2 dvd. What would be the api endpoint to use for this? Is it the same call to get the movie + some filter? I only see a single mediasource listed and a single path. How do you get them all? I want to add this capability to play spanned movies, but not sure how to get the parts. Help please? Thanks. :)

They are actually separate library items. take a look at the source code for the web client detail page, right now that's your best example. there's an api endpoint to get the additional parts of a video. then you just queue them up in a playlist.

They are actually separate library items. take a look at the source code for the web client detail page, right now that's your best example. there's an api endpoint to get the additional parts of a video. then you just queue them up in a playlist.

@@Luke Thanks for the hints. I was on my way there but was hoping you would just give up the endpoint. I found it eventually and it explained everything how it was used. I do get why you didnt just give me the endpoint. This was a test. Consider it passed. :)

Add support for multi-part videos to roku:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Roku/pull/140

Okay, tested and it works. Here it is officially to add. Very shortly I will update the blue neon night app to add this feature too.

Edited by speechles

Thanks - one thing to add though. there is a property on the first video, PartCount, which can help you avoid this request in the first place. if not null and greater than 1, make the request, otherwise you can skip it.

Thanks - one thing to add though. there is a property on the first video, PartCount, which can help you avoid this request in the first place. if not null and greater than 1, make the request, otherwise you can skip it.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby.Roku/pull/140

Updated to make use of the partCount attribute. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Deathsquirrel

2. I previously used ffmpeg to command line merge the files. I lost my subtitle tracks and chapters. I know I can download alternate subtitles but that's not the point. I'll check out MKVMerge. However, since the web client supports multi-disc files, it might be nice to extend that to the other players. It's merely a suggestion. It's been discussed in these forums and has never been rejected.

Definitely check it out.  If you have two discs with the same properties you shouldn't have those problems merging the files.  It looks like multipart video on the roku client is a go but for file management's sake I've always preferred to keep my movies in a single file.

Definitely check it out. If you have two discs with the same properties you shouldn't have those problems merging the files. It looks like multipart video on the roku client is a go but for file management's sake I've always preferred to keep my movies in a single file.

Yeah, resuming additional parts is different. You cant really break up multi-part videos into multiple viewing sessions. You have to pretty much watch it through. After the first part is played and marked as watched this makes it believe the entire thing has been watched. So leaving off on part2 and expecting it to resume from that spot isnt going to happen. Just keep this is mind. Another reason why merging the videos is a better option in the long run.

Edited by speechles

Cremby

Okay, tested and it works. Here it is officially to add. Very shortly I will update the blue neon night app to add this feature too.

Wow. Nice! Looking forward to it and thanks! I love the Roku app btw! Thanks for your earlier help with my AC3 issues.

Cremby

Definitely check it out.  If you have two discs with the same properties you shouldn't have those problems merging the files.  It looks like multipart video on the roku client is a go but for file management's sake I've always preferred to keep my movies in a single file.

Yeah, the tool I use to convert my media doesn't support it. I like the tool I use and only had the one item so I never bothered to look beyond ffmpeg for combining.

@@Cremby The blue neon app has multi-part video support, the app shouldve auto updated. Try it out. The official roku app will have it soon. Luke still has to approve and merge the changes I made.

Cremby

@@Cremby The blue neon app has multi-part video support, the app shouldve auto updated. Try it out. The official roku app will have it soon. Luke still has to approve and merge the changes I made.

Everything is working great. The disc "changes" as it should. Once the second file is loaded, play control works as it should (pause/rewind/fast forward) with the progress bar showing the remaining time on the second file.

Thanks again @@speechles