2 out of 3 ain't bad?

Lee.Kron

Lee.Kron

I have 3 Fire TVs with Kodi install on all and I have had them all working perfectly. However, for some reason, one is now not working. I believe I see the issue in the logs but was wondering if anyone could give me a touch of advise on how to rectify it.  Emby is set up correctly. It logs in on the faulting Fire TV but won't play the movie.  The other 2 Fire TVs work fine. I have to admit, I'm getting a little weary troubleshooting all the time since I started using Emby but I'm a grinder.  I love it besides the silly problems I'm getting.  (side note: I noticed today that Emby Connect wasn't working very well either unless I logged in directly from my server but that's a whole other story.)

Here is the log file from Kodi. Thanks in advance for any help all!

http://paste2.org/hI5EYsbz 

Angelblue05

Link doesn't work. Also, why not post in the Kodi section since you are using emby for kodi? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

It's not a problem :) It's just so the right devs can see your post. Anyway, can you tell me if you have path substitution set up in emby? Your paths look like /share/cache in your log.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05

Lee.Kron

Yes it's all correct because the other two Kodi instances work fine.  Remember me @@Angelblue05, you helped me immensely late into the morning hours one night fixing path substitution. 

Angelblue05

Yes I remember helping you. I am just wondering what could be wrong, because Kodi is unable to open the path:

17:01:32 T:18446744072355010432   ERROR: CDVDPlayer::OpenInputStream - error opening [/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/Movie Collection/The Bourne Identity.mp4]

Do you mind grabbing the log of you playing something on one of your working device so we can compare?

Lee.Kron

I'm done with Emby on that particular Fire TV box.  I uninstalled everything including Kodi and started over. Still wouldn't play a file. That box is hardwired to my network as well. When trying to uninstall Emby, there are remnants left behind that annoy me. In either case (at the moment) I'm using an Emby path via UPnP from my server that still has Emby installed on it.  UPnP works so much better than the Emby for Kodi app ever did.  No buffering, it plays instantly, I can use fast forward/rewind right away without bringing Kodi down. Right now I'm thinking I'll just use Emby on the server for the meta data management and remote access (when it works).  I really wanted to like Emby and have a set it and forget it type set up but that just doesn't seem to be the case. I've dealt with path substitution and port forwarding which is fine but why is everyone not dealing with those same things?  I don't get it. Either way, I'm saying goodbye to Emby on at least the one box for now and the other two (Fire TV sticks) seem like they are not far behind. Disappointing.

Edited by Lee.Kron

Angelblue05

Sorry I've been feeling under the weather for a bit, fell behind on everything. :(

You are not the only one that has to deal with path substitution, I understand it can be frustrating. You have to format your paths in a way that Kodi can read them.

Native playback mode is available for instant playback if your device can't handle loading the file to play in a dynamic way (add-on playback). You still need to format your paths correctly for it to work, otherwise Kodi will complain the file is unavailable. The best way to figure out what Kodi wants as your paths is to access your content under settings > Add-ons > Install from zip > Navigate to your content, take note of the path listed and make your emby paths look the same with path substitution.

Sorry that I wasn't able to help you sooner.

Edited by Angelblue05

Lee.Kron

By no means do you need to apologize. I have path subs right. I could possibly drill down further but I don't think I need to. It's just very frustrating having such inconsistency in performance. Using UPnP with a PC was so much more reliable. My server is plenty of a powerhouse to handle serving up data. I just really didn't have these problems until integrating Emby.

Tell me more about add-on playback/ native playback. Because maybe the fire TV sticks would work better that way?

Edited by Lee.Kron

Angelblue05

Indeed. Native playback mode would give you the Kodi instant playback, since Kodi knows the path to your content. With add-on playback mode, Kodi asks the add-on the path to play. This allows us to control what happens at playback, therefore integrating emby features such as cinema mode, etc. This is generally working fine if you have a powerful device, but it is definitively slower on low powered device.

Once you change the playback mode, you will need to reset your local database. This will resync your content, importing the direct paths in your database. You will notice the difference when starting playback. 

Edited by Angelblue05