Android App needs some lovin

Greg Prz

Greg Prz

Hello,

I know the technical reasons for the following issues have already been discussed but I was wondering when will they be fixed?  Emby on my android phone running Marshmallow is pretty much useless at this point I might as well uninstall it.  I definitely would not have bought the premier version if I were looking at it today.  The big issues I see are:

1) Lack of External SD Card support.  Mega Huge, Monstrous even, in my book.  I can't even use the old work around of syncing to the external card and then using a 3rd party player anymore.

2) HTTPS doesn't work over wlan - meh no biggie except -

3) No offline playback support

I'd rather not have to move to Plex (assuming they can do it) as I've already paid for Emby but I do want to use the nice 128GB SD card in my phone.  Any timeline at all?  Are we talking days, weeks, months, years????  Please?

Thanks

• Like 1

kjp4756

HTTPS works fine for me using the latest beta. I am using a let's encrypt certificate with an nginx proxy.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

jamvids

I have just updated to Android 6 and hardly anything works with the external SD. How rude. I have been reading that you can adopt it as internal storage, but it slows the device down. If it isn't one thing it's another.

To the devs, I don't care if you ask for extra permissions, and you shouldn't hold the app back for the few paranoids that think that personal liberties are being threatened with permissions.

Take the tin foil off of your head.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

anderbytes

HTTPS works fine for me using the latest beta. I am using a let's encrypt certificate with an nginx proxy.

I have HTTPS port open (not using reverse proxy), and the HTTP port is closed to outside. Only HTTPS port is reachable from outside.

- Is your HTTP port also reachable? Because it may be falling back to HTTP, being insecure.

kjp4756

I have HTTPS port open (not using reverse proxy), and the HTTP port is closed to outside. Only HTTPS port is reachable from outside.

- Is your HTTP port also reachable? Because it may be falling back to HTTP, being insecure.

No, I made sure to close the regular port as soon as I got HTTPS working

anderbytes

No, I made sure to close the regular port as soon as I got HTTPS working

Good.

I have 2 theories:

- Beta has the bug fixed. YAY!

- Nginx reverse proxy may be doing the hard work and avoiding certificate issue

anderbytes

Hello,

I know the technical reasons for the following issues have already been discussed but I was wondering when will they be fixed?  Emby on my android phone running Marshmallow is pretty much useless at this point I might as well uninstall it.  I definitely would not have bought the premier version if I were looking at it today.  The big issues I see are:

1) Lack of External SD Card support.  Mega Huge, Monstrous even, in my book.  I can't even use the old work around of syncing to the external card and then using a 3rd party player anymore.

2) HTTPS doesn't work over wlan - meh no biggie except -

3) No offline playback support

I'd rather not have to move to Plex (assuming they can do it) as I've already paid for Emby but I do want to use the nice 128GB SD card in my phone.  Any timeline at all?  Are we talking days, weeks, months, years????  Please?

Thanks

Issue #3 for me is the worst.

nice topic subject...too funny  :-D

• Like 1

kjp4756

Good.

I have 2 theories:

- Beta has the bug fixed. YAY!

- Nginx reverse proxy may be doing the hard work and avoiding certificate issue

Both of those theories could be correct.  I haven't used the regular version for a while.  I have to use nginx because mono doesn't want to send the let's encrypt intermediate certificate properly which causes problems with chrome for android and probably emby for android.

anderbytes

Both of those theories could be correct.  I haven't used the regular version for a while.  I have to use nginx because mono doesn't want to send the let's encrypt intermediate certificate properly which causes problems with chrome for android and probably emby for android.

We already managed to understand how to create a pfx certificate in a way that connection is possible... the only problem now is with libVLC. So only playback is impossible.

Will paste here as soon as I find the post.

kjp4756

Thanks, I did try that method previously and it didn't work for me.  The intermediate certificate was not being sent no matter how I made the pfx.  You can verify it's working properly by using this test: https://www.wormly.com/test_ssl  The nginx proxy was the only way I could get it to pass.  Another way to test is to use chrome for android and connect to emby via https. 

kjp4756

I didn't import anything in to Android. It just worked. It does on all of my devices. I was quite surprised really

anderbytes

I didn't import anything in to Android. It just worked. It does on all of my devices. I was quite surprised really

That probably explains it.

To make proxyless https connection to work... after the PFX step, you have to generate the P12 version of that PFX and import into the android devices that will connect to server remotely.

Reason: the certificates trusted that comes embeeded in Android and it's browsers is limited. So you have to "teach" Android to trust Let's Encrypt certificate chain.

Remembering now... I guess PFX is just another name of P12. Try copying the pfx to your android, rename it to p12, and execute (import) it.

• 1 year later...
jamvids

@@Greg Prz

@@jamvids

@@anderbytes

@@kjp4756

2.9.32 is rolling out and supports offline browsing and playback. The feature is still very new so please make sure to leave your feedback and we will continue to improve it. Thanks !

Hi Luke, am getting beta updates and can see it being built, looking promising. I can confirm that sync seems to be working well at the minute. I am syncing 2500 flac files at the moment and it was getting stuck but not now. I am going to revert to 1 monster list again to see how it handles it (I split it into 3). I will keep you posted. Cheers.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk