Metadata on movie folders

EduardoSantos

EduardoSantos
This is a new vanilla install on Windows 10.

Brand new machine, latest Emby version.

What would be the configuration so that Emby will save metadata as XML on movie folders?

After install Emby was saving metadata on NFO files. I configured every metadata service as to save on XML.

But I see no XML files on movie/series folders, even though I enabled the Metadata>Save artwork on media folders option.

Happy2Play

You need to install the XML Saver Plugin from the catalog.  Most of the core code for xml format was removed after v3.05818.0.

This will add the options back to services.

Edited by Happy2Play

EduardoSantos
As I understand it, this is the best means to carry all metadata with the movie and subtitle file to another installation.

I know there is the NFO file but I think Emby's XML is conceptually better: there are numerous tools to deal with xml files.

You can batch edit, change all occurrences of a given string, etc.

It seems, though, they will be entirely deprecated on a near future...

As I understand it, this is the best means to carry all metadata with the movie and subtitle file to another installation.
I know there is the NFO file but I think Emby's XML is conceptually better: there are numerous tools to deal with xml files.

It won't be deprecated, but nfo is what is getting the bulk of our testing and development efforts. There may come a day when we we might have to say we need the community's help maintaining xml support if that's what you guys want. That is a possibility although there are no plans to just take it away.

Deathsquirrel

Kodi-compatible NFO files are also just xml documents if you look at their contents.

Happy2Play

More less, the nodes are named different but all the same information.

example

xml <People>  nfo <actor>

Deathsquirrel

More less, the nodes are named different but all the same information.

example

xml <People>  nfo <actor>

Right, not MB xml docs, but xml docs just the same.  He was concerned about lack of editing tools.  That should not be an issue.

• Like 1