[Discussion] This could spell trouble for Kodi on Android

jluce50

jluce50

Came across this reddit post yesterday: https://www.reddit.com/r/kodi/comments/4agx65/after_driving_away_the_only_android_dev_a/

I'm not sure how this will play out, but it looks like there is some serious infighting among the Kodi team about whether to keep developing for Android. I actually understand their reasons, but this would be terrible news for a LOT of people (including me).

xnappo

I kind of doubt it will happen.  But it is a big problem.  These companies selling $70 Android boxes and saying 'comes with Kodi! Watch free movies!' is completely toxic to their credibility.

At any rate, if it did happen people would just fork it.

xnappo

dark_slayer

Haha, nearly the only dev driving/maintaining Kodi Android development for about the past year revived his old fork. Hopefully SPMC keeps library versioning down to the releases that are supported by the Emby add-on. I had problems with SPMC and the old sync add-on but the add-on has come so far since then.

As to the devs and Android, I can't tell that there are any more than two actual contributing devs who would rather not see Android included unless (until) it is able to work the exact way they understand their linux boxes to work. I can't tell which is what, but it seems knowledgeable other devs have advised them against creating a rube goldberg architecture that doesn't adapt to anything other than linux or windows with desktop class processing. Most of the in fighting seems to spring from language barriers, but a few knowledgeable devs get overly annoyed with "bikeshedding" (which I had to look up the meaning of and then laugh at) by the main architectural driving dev. You can see a lot of this in-fighting sprinkled through different PRs and a few public posts. Hopefully they work things out, or at least SPMC continues to work with the Emby add-on

dark_slayer

One other thing, the few who publicly whine foul play about android "diminishing" their name or credibility with sponsors on one hand will promptly remind all users that kodi is not a "product" or "company" and they don't give a crap about funding, etc. I think they may be a little on the young side or the language barrier makes them seem juvenile in a lot of their arguments

jluce50

Hopefully they work things out, or at least SPMC continues to work with the Emby add-on

That was my main concern. So it does currently work with the Emby addon then?

xnappo

That was my main concern. So it does currently work with the Emby addon then?

Yes, it does.

Nazgulled

Yes, it does.

Do you have it working with the latest (16.1.2) SPMC? Because I can't get it to work... I got a popup stating that the "Kodi" version is not supported.