Some files won't play, I just get a grey screen and Emby locks up.

tjlmbklr

tjlmbklr

The files play fine on all my devices, Kodi on my HTCP where my Emby server is, on my phone with the Emby app but some files freeze the Emby app on my FireTv.

Clearing Cache/Data doesn't work but I do have to Force Stop otherwise Emby won't open, I'll get the same grey screen. I'm stumped.

Thanks in advance.

Can we look at a specific example please?  Details about the item in question.  Thanks.

tjlmbklr

Can we look at a specific example please?  Details about the item in question.  Thanks.

Do you mean like file type?  Sorry, I want to get this resolved as much as you want to help, I am just not sure what more details you need. 

But a basic example would be I can play a TV show like Seinfeld, but when I try to play an episode of The first 48 it just shows a blank grey screen then locks up.  I have to go in to Application management and Force Stop.  But I can play other episodes of The First 48 and they play just fine.  

Okay, so look at the media info in the web client for one of the items that works and one of the items that doesn't.  What is different?  You can post them both here if you want me to take a look.  Thanks.

tjlmbklr

Okay, so look at the media info in the web client for one of the items that works and one of the items that doesn't.  What is different?  You can post them both here if you want me to take a look.  Thanks.

The file on the right [seinfeld] plays fine among many others.  The file on the left [The First 48] doesn't. 56ed664f3284c_Mediainfo.jpg

Edited by tjlmbklr

Okay, when you play the file on the right, the on-screen display says "Trans/I" correct?

If you disable VLC in the app settings, does the file on the left play then?

tjlmbklr

I would like to also add that when it does lock up (grey screen) the only option I have to to use the 'Home' button on the FireTV , go to Settings/Application Management/Emby/Force Stop.  Even if I clear the data it never fully  clears the data, I always have my username still there ready to log in.  I even uninstalled Emby and reinstalled it.  Should I have to start fresh after I do this? 

tjlmbklr

Okay, when you play the file on the right, the on-screen display says "Trans/I" correct?

If you disable VLC in the app settings, does the file on the left play then?

I tried that last night and no, it didn't play.  But I also am experiencing some network issues that I am currently working on.  Once I get that fixed, I will try again.  

I would like to also add that when it does lock up (grey screen) the only option I have to to use the 'Home' button on the FireTV , go to Settings/Application Management/Emby/Force Stop.  Even if I clear the data it never fully  clears the data, I always have my username still there ready to log in.  I even uninstalled Emby and reinstalled it.  Should I have to start fresh after I do this? 

What has happened here is the app (actually, I think the video player) has crashed.  When you are in the place on the Fire TV where you clear data, instead of doing that, select "Force close".  Then you should be able to re-start the app.

Can you confirm for me that the file on the right is transcoding?

tjlmbklr

What has happened here is the app (actually, I think the video player) has crashed.  When you are in the place on the Fire TV where you clear data, instead of doing that, select "Force close".  Then you should be able to re-start the app.

I force Close every time it happens and I go back into the app and try again and the same thing happens. 

tjlmbklr

What has happened here is the app (actually, I think the video player) has crashed. When you are in the place on the Fire TV where you clear data, instead of doing that, select "Force close". Then you should be able to re-start the app.

Can you tell me how I can confirm this, please?

tjlmbklr

I would like to also add, I have a FireStick as well and I just tried it with the same problem file and it does the same thing.

I force Close every time it happens and I go back into the app and try again and the same thing happens. 

I did not expect that to fix your issue with this particular file - just make it possible for you to re-start the app without losing your settings.

Can you tell me how I can confirm this, please?

Look at the OSD during playback.  Does it say "Trans/I"?

I would like to also add, I have a FireStick as well and I just tried it with the same problem file and it does the same thing.

Can you also confirm the version of the app you are running?  It is displayed on the settings screen.

tjlmbklr

Look at the OSD during playback. Does it say "Trans/I"?

Yes it is does.

I changed like 3 different settings on the server and the app and now it's playing. So I am not sure which if not more than one helped.

I changed the app settings for Bitstreaming from Auto to 40, I didn't have a temp folder set up on my server for Transcoding Temp path and for some odd reason I had 3 servers to choose from on my app, 2 shared the same name and one was different. I assume This was from when I first set up Emby server I had other unrelated problems, so it's possible I was using the wrong server. But this doesn't explain why some files still played.

But now I am having an issue with my Home theater pc where it keeps rebooting. It may just be a coincidence but it's now happened twice as I am trying to watch an episode in my bedroom.

Edited by tjlmbklr