Android app only connect in Wifi

zoula

The title says it all...   I can only connect in wifi mode.   When i'm not at home (ex. at work)  I can only connect using the wifi.  even if I have a stung data connection.  

I can see my server but when I try to connect I get this error message

"We're unable to connect to the selected sever right now.  Please ensure it is running and try again"     

Then if I flip the wifi on and could connect with no trouble.  Flip it off, and I get the same message again.   

Thank you,

Zoula

I forgot,

I'm running android 6.0.1 on a Samsung S5   All the permission seems "on" I can only see two for this app. 

Thank's

Zoula

Thank you Luke,

I've already tried this solution with no success....   But as soon as I try to log with the Wifi I could login with no problem at all.  So this is not a bad login or some sort of typo.

I look everywhere that I could think of and also ask a Android geek friend to see if I have a permission error that prevent Emby to use cellular data, but everything seems OK in this regards.

It use to work fine in the past, and unfortunately I can't recall when exactly it went down.  That would surly help to find a possible bug... 

Zoula

Edited by zoula

Hi,

I've already check and tried everything,  but let me write down was it does step after step,

-  I open Emby with the Wifi turn off. 
-  I get the page "Welcome to Emby....   With Emby you can stream etc....
-  I click NEXT
- I get the page "Sign in with Emby connect"
-  I login with my user name and password
-  I get the "Select Server" page and I can see my server name
-  I then select my server
- Then I get "We're unable to connect to the selected server right now.  Please ensure......"
- Then I switch on the Wifi and select again my server
-  I'm now connected to my server and have full access to all my media

I also tried to delete the server that I could see and try to enter the address manually  with the same result.   I also tried to access by a browser with the same result (imposible with the cell data but with the Wifi it is fine)  that lead me to think that this is not a permission issue in Android, because I can't access with firefox, chrome, Samsung browser, and Emby app.

Is there something that could block the access of my phone only when using the data on the server side???

Thank you
Zoula

Then I would see the bottom of that wiki article where it discusses setting up port forwarding. it looks like that's what you're going to have to do.

Oups,

Forgot to mention, this is something that I have done from the beginning.   I sometimes use a VPN and need to have a port open pointing to my server to make this work. 

As I write those line I have a user that is using my server outside of my home.   I gave a Raspberry Pi to wife when see is outside for the week so that she could watch films in her time off.  

At this moment the VPN is OFF and I tested if it make a difference when it is ON or OFF and it don't

Zoula

trancepsychosis

I've been having the same problem Zoula and am thinking it's an issue server-side with remembered devices. Do videos load over mobile data and just music fails? Was going to nuke it and start fresh tonight when i get home tonight. Other devices of mine have no trouble outside of my phone. I'll let you know if i have any luck before you get fed up like myself and do the same.

I've been having the same problem Zoula and am thinking it's an issue server-side with remembered devices. Do videos load over mobile data and just music fails? Was going to nuke it and start fresh tonight when i get home tonight. Other devices of mine have no trouble outside of my phone. I'll let you know if i have any luck before you get fed up like myself and do the same.

Hi, please see post #6 and try those steps. External connections are the most complicated part of the system, and i know it's very easy to assume there's an Emby problem, but there are a lot of doors that need to be opened in order for it to work, and sometimes we can't handle all of them automatically. If you search the forum you'll find lots of other examples of users who swore there was an Emby Server issue, then did more investigation and were able to find the real issue for the traffic being blocked.

trancepsychosis

Unfortunately Luke I've tested another device over mobile data (same mobile provider) and no problem. So there is something about this particular device and the issue is present in both mobile app and mobile browser while on mobile data, but non-existent on a remote WiFi AP. Given the same ports are being used regardless of mobile data vs remote AP all logic points to server.

Hi,

Trancepsychosis,  I'm glad that you tried two different device with the same provider.  I tough it was possible that My provider block the port (8096) for some reason.  This is not completely ruled out  but from what you experiencing it is probably not the case.  

I'll double check if my router do mot block my phone...

Zoula

trancepsychosis

Zoula,

Your router wouldn't be blocking your phone if you can successfully connect to your VPN over mobile. I am curious if your problem is only music fails to load over mobile (like mine is). Videos playback with no trouble for me.

Trancepsychosis,

My VPN is not "my" VPN I use a VPN to change my IP address to access foreign country streaming services....  

I think that my router or even my firewall could block my phone when using the mobile data, because when I use the mobile it must be using a different IP address then when using the Wifi.  It may even be my mobile carrier that block traffic or port number for some stupid reason...???? 

For now, I check 10X my router and even disable my firewall with no success.   Like I said earlier for me it's a server access problem,  I can't access at all my server using mobile data.  I'm getting very frustrated about this,  I know my way around computers, and see no solutions for this but to wait for someone to fix this issue or point me to the source....   I'm that close to switch to Plex witch I had no issues on mobile...

Zoula

trancepsychosis

So going nuclear did not solve the issue. Still only able to stream movies over mobile, music fails. Shows up in server interface but never renders. My problem with Plex is the online account requirement, I prefer to log directly into my machine. I have also tried the beta server with no luck. For now I'll just have to VPN into my network and playback music over Samba share while I look into alternatives that meet my requirements (was even getting ready to pay the $100 for lifetime premium Emby because I loved the flexibility it offers before this happened).

if you're on windows, check windows firewall to make sure there are no rules that are blocking emby server.

trancepsychosis

Ok, set up a second server on a new machine, changed port forward in router to new ip, set windows firewall permissions on second server, same thing. Grabbed android tablet and connected to phone thats having trouble's hotspot, no problem on tablet. So besides the fact that everything is transmitted over the same port, it is obviously not blocked by service provider. This means our troubles have been at the phone level with rendering the content. But since the same problem occurs in both Android app and mobile browser there's something with our phones that are blocking it over mobile, perhaps an update samsung pushed to our devices (Note 3 running 5.1 w/ root). Perhaps a Stagefright patch.

What are you expecting? if you're saying the issue is occurring in the mobile web app then it is probably out of our control.

Hi,

I've manage to fix my issue with my data connection.  This was very weird....   Like I said earlier I'm running this on a Samsung S5 rooted with CM13 install.  This is basically Android 6.0.2   So, to make this work I had switch the carrier in the setting and switch back again to my real carrier.  After this non sens it work again..???

What I think as happen is that when I switch back to my carrier it reset my IP using the mobile data.  and make the app work again.  I'm 100% sure this was not a firewall issue or router issue, since I everything that could be disable on the server side as been switch off with no success.   Only this silly manipulation on my phone make it work again????

As for your problem Trancepsychosis are your sure that there is no direct play back option set to ON somewhere.  maybe your phone can't decode FLAC natively???

Thank you again

Zoula