Emby Theater Window Size

NWGiles

NWGiles

Hello

I upgraded my htpc in the lounge from win 7 to win 10, HTPC is connected to the tv via HDMI over CAT7.

Since upgrading to Windows 10, when I turn the TV off, and then back on again, EMBY theater resizes smaller, but only the front layer.

I have attached pictures to show what happens when I play content without resizing.  

Once the tv is back on the front layer ( with the play pause options ) stays small but the back layer where the video plays resizes back to full screen as I would expect.

I have read the other raised issue around this and I have the appropriate wndows 10 drivers,  I have tried this with other VLC , WMP and even the EMBY windows app, everything else resizes full screen just not theatre. I prefer theater but its a problem (especially with the kids) getitng a keyboard out constantly to resize.

Picture 1.png -  when tv is turned back on this is what I see, if I press the full screen button (middle button top left) it goes back to the normal window and you get the blue windows background around it

Picture 2.png - shows what happens if I play content like this ( video full screens but no the front layer)

Picture 3.png - when I press stop this is what happens so the menu loads as normal but the 2nd layer with the video stays where it is behind.

Please can this be fixed

thank you

post-20036-0-95634600-1458205104_thumb.png

post-20036-0-54796200-1458205108_thumb.png

post-20036-0-21911600-1458205112_thumb.png

first we have to find out what's causing it. curious, what is your windows dpi setting or system zoom setting? if they';re not 100%, can you try that? thanks.

pmac

I have a similar issue, when I turn my TV back on ET is smaller, like in your screenshot, but doesn't have the empty black space around it, I can see my desktop underneath it. I've also noticed Rainmeter does the same thing, and I have to refresh my Rainmeter skin to get it to fill my desktop, so I don't believe it's strictly an ET issue. Even my Windows screen saver will only take up roughly 1/3 of my desktop every once in a while when I turn my TV on.

NWGiles

I have a similar issue, when I turn my TV back on ET is smaller, like in your screenshot, but doesn't have the empty black space around it, I can see my desktop underneath it. I've also noticed Rainmeter does the same thing, and I have to refresh my Rainmeter skin to get it to fill my desktop, so I don't believe it's strictly an ET issue. Even my Windows screen saver will only take up roughly 1/3 of my desktop every once in a while when I turn my TV on.

its good that its more than me, I can only replicate it with emby theater though.

Deathsquirrel

I have the same issue in ET on Win10.  You can maximize it once to go to full-scree windowed and twice to go full screen.  If you have any tests you want run Luke I'll be happy to help.

Lawrage

Same here. Windows 10 HDMI to my tv. Only seems to happen when I leave it running and come back and turn the tv on.

This isnt strictly Emby related and happens to quite a few apps when the tv turns off (in essence the pc loses connection to its monitor over hdmi)

Not sure if Kodi links are allowed here if not please remove it but there is some handy information in here

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=158432

And here is a reg hack that may work for some

http://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/windows-7-half-fullscreen.71785/page-26#post-728795

And some more solutions if you dont want to mess with the registry

http://superuser.com/questions/267086/how-to-stop-windows-resizing-when-the-monitor-display-channel-is-turned-off-sw

Edited by Lawrage

swhitmore

I've seen this issue if you maximise the Emby window before it has gone full screen. i.e. As it's loading in the smaller window (I think this is when it does it's updates etc.) if you maximise this smaller window, you will have scaling issues when it goes full screen.

is your resolution the same as your display's native resolution? do you have multiple displays connected? if so then for the purposes of testing, try reverting those to default and see if it makes a difference.

TroyBennett

I have the same issue...for me I notice it when I turn the TV off, but leave Emby running...when I come back and turn on my TV after a couple house, is is that way....  I'm running on windows 10, running my TV in 2160p mode..My settings to zoom the  size of text, apps, and other items is up to 250%

Ill try changing the zoom on windows to 100% for a while and see if that helps.

Edited by TroyBennett

TroyBennett

Well the zoom setting in windows is not the problem...i just tried it, turned my TV off...then about 5 minutes later turned it back on and it was about 1/12th the size of the screen.

Edited by TroyBennett

Koleckai Silvestri

I don't think this is an Emby issue. It has been ongoing on other platforms for years. Basically, you need to restart Emby after shutting down the television or shut it down Emby before you turn off the television to prevent the problem.

Maybe something in these threads might help out in the right direction:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=127086

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=202485

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=177660

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=158432

https://www.reddit.com/r/kodi/comments/3uhlkm/kodi_151_doesnt_keep_resolution_when_changes/?

• Like 1

NWGiles

I have 1 tv connected to htpc.
I leave Emby theatre running I turn the tv off with remote.
The tv is a 4K lg tv, running in 1900 x 1080 as it always has.
Same tv
Same htpc
Same Emby theatre
Only difference is the upgrade to Windows 10. It never did this on Windows 7, I upgraded a week ago.

The resolution of the tv is the same, my graphics card is win 10 compatible.

The Emby Windows app doesn't do it, neither does anything else I have tried. Even the web version of theatre tv.Emby.media works perfectly, just not theatre.

This is what is confusing me

Edited by NWGiles

Add me to the list too, after turning off the tv for a few hours its showing smaller. If we had a good shortcut to turning off emby that we can map to the harmony hub it could be a nice bandaid until it can be fixed. I guess I can do what I read in another thread to launch it again with winkey+# and kill it with alt+F4 but does emby do any maintenance after clicking close that might cause issues with force killing it?

NWGiles

Right I have sorted mine but it doesn't explain much. I have changed graphics cards from amd to nvidia.

This now works but it doesn't help as they aren't fancy cards both graphic cards are basic fanless media cards

mystic.bertie

I dont know if this is exactly the same as my problem, see pics. Its only when the actual movie is playing i get an odd size and position, the rest of the program is fine.

I have been using Emby for a long time now and nothing has changed recently except the new emby theatre. I use windows 7. As a test i tried the portable version of the old emby theatre (download from sticky post). It works perfectly and i never had this issue with the older version. I did notice the video renderer was set to EVR+ on the older emby, i opened new emby, set the video renderer to EVR+ and hey presto the movies now play the way they are supposed to.

post-1214-0-94310900-1458610251_thumb.jpg

post-1214-0-32161700-1458610251_thumb.jpg

I dont know if this is exactly the same as my problem, see pics. Its only when the actual movie is playing i get an odd size and position, the rest of the program is fine.

I have been using Emby for a long time now and nothing has changed recently except the new emby theatre. I use windows 7. As a test i tried the portable version of the old emby theatre (download from sticky post). It works perfectly and i never had this issue with the older version. I did notice the video renderer was set to EVR+ on the older emby, i opened new emby, set the video renderer to EVR+ and hey presto the movies now play the way they are supposed to.

attachicon.gifCaptureb.JPG

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

So for you it's only during video playback. is it ever during just regular browsing?

mystic.bertie

So for you it's only during video playback. is it ever during just regular browsing?

Yes only during playback, regular browsing is fine.

I just tried something, old emby, EVR+ and Madvr work fine. New emby, only EVR+ works fine, madvr seems to cause this problem.

Edit , due to a subtitles problem, Luke suggested i reinstall emby.

As a result there is good news, reinstalling emby worked, my subtitles are now displaying fine. The CC button is now shown, it was missing before, all in all emby is much faster now, it was a bit slow before and it would hang while waiting on movies to start. It seems fine now.

More good news, my screen size is now fixed, madvr and evr+ both work fine now.

Edited by mystic.bertie

TroyBennett

Here are the things that cause this situation for me:

1) turning off the television then turning it back on

2) playing video for an extended time (over 2hrs, could be longer as usually I fall asleep when it happens)

Note: when It happens via playing a video for too long, the video remains full screen.  It happens when I exit the video. For example, I was watching TV Series last night and because it will play the next episode automatically, when I woke up it was still playing episodes, still full screen.....I exited the video and the screen changed and was about 1/4 the size it should have been.

I tried two other programs on my computer and turned the television off then back on.... I could not recreate the same situation with it.  One was a normal program (HD Homerun Config), I had it maximized and turned the TV off then back on....when It came back on it was still full screen.  The second program was a windows store program, don't remember the name,  with the same results as the first program.

I wanted to try a program that uses DirectX in some way. But I didn't have anything installed that I knew uses it.

Edited by TroyBennett

• 5 months later...
Hitsville

Yeah me too. I am just in the process of switching to Emby from Plex (will be final when the 2015 Samsung app is launched in the UK) and i just totally love the theatre client. The resizing is slightly annoying though.

Yeah me too. I am just in the process of switching to Emby from Plex (will be final when the 2015 Samsung app is launched in the UK) and i just totally love the theatre client. The resizing is slightly annoying though.

what about it is annoying?