MB3 co-existing with other media servers

sfnetwork

sfnetwork

Plex doesn't create any image file, it reads what you have or/and puts everything in its database.

In my setup, the best way I found, after A LOT of tests, to have both running (well for me, three including XBMC), is to have the XBMC standards (and saver plugin if using MB server for metadata) and in Plex, use the NFO importer for movies and, that's the shitty part for Plex, for TV, I only use The TVDB agent because the TV NFO importer for TV isn't following latest Frodo standards (https://github.com/gboudreau/XBMC-TVShows-Metadata-Agent-for-Plex/issues/23) It "kind of" works but need to use "local media asset" and it screws up the TV show posters (sometimes using a season one).

Agent dev is not responding to this... :angry:  (that's Plex...)

That's what I hate about Plex, things like the NFO importer agent aren't officially supported so users depend 100% on the dev. If he doesn't respond...  That's that...

from Plex forum: https://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topic/88515-xbmc-tv-nfo-importer-not-working-frodo-standards/?do=findComment&comment=521918

In MB, the XBMC saver (for ex) is officially supported by the MB3 team. (It's incredible the assistance and the work done here for compatibility with Plex and XBMC, try asking a question about MB3 or XBMC in Plex forum, you'll see the difference)  ;)

Edited by sfnetwork

sfnetwork

@@sfnetwork - i think our plex image saving might require an xbmc add-on, because the plex defaults are a little different:

http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/Media_Naming_and_Organization_Guide#Show_Posters

Can you confirm?

Also, Plex has an image naming convention of its own but nothing for metadata so better to focus on XBMC standards and use the NFO importer agent. (Even if user doesn't use XBMC)

Edited by sfnetwork

ginjaninja

Is anybody running MB3 and Plex successfully together with local fanart stored within the collection.

I am finding that tv fanart is not acting in a predictable fashion in plex as mb3's series and seasons folder.jpg is sometimes taking priority over plex's show.jpg and season-X.jpg by the plex 'local agent'.

i would like to name my fanart, creating copies if necessary, so that both products act in a predictable fashion and select the correct local fanart for series and season posters.

anyone got this situation working?

currently i have created copies

expecting to use

Series\Folder.jpg and Series\Season XX\folder.jpg for MB3

and

Series\show.jpg and series\season XX\season-XX.jpg for plex

however folder.jpg confuses plex yielding inconsistent results.

thank you.

Under Metadata -> Image Downloading, have you switched the image saving convention to "Compatible - MB3 / Plex / XBMC"?

ginjaninja

i wasnt able to understand what it did so i didnt persevere with this option, do you know what it does gcw07?

i removed all mb3 fanart and stuck only with plex's convention as per original post, set this option you mention, saved and restarted server and ran a scan of library but mb3 didnt see the plex fanart for series and season posters.

ginjaninja

@@sfnetwork

So is nfo importer agent the way to go for now in plex?...to achieve reliable coexistence (I only care about series and season posters, happy for text/xml to be fetched from tvdb as I never customise). Please can you offer a bit if guidance on getting started in your reccomended direction. Re agent installation/configuration and file naming schemes.

Ty

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

@@sfnetwork So is nfo importer agent the way to go for now in plex?...to achieve reliable coexistence (I only care about series and season posters, happy for text/xml to be fetched from tvdb as I never customise). Please can you offer a bit if guidance on getting started in your reccomended direction. Re agent installation/configuration and file naming schemes. Ty Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

what are you going to use it for?

sfnetwork

@@sfnetwork So is nfo importer agent the way to go for now in plex?...to achieve reliable coexistence (I only care about series and season posters, happy for text/xml to be fetched from tvdb as I never customise). Please can you offer a bit if guidance on getting started in your reccomended direction. Re agent installation/configuration and file naming schemes. Ty Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

For MB server, it will do everything exactly how it should be for XBMC following latest naming convention (XBMC saver) and for itself of course.

After this in, Plex, the NFO importer agent "should" use those (but it has issues for TV as described above with the tv show posters, but this should be discussed in Plex forum, obviously)

In the meantime, for TV use the TVDB agent as it's the only one that works correctly but this is going to be specific metadata/images for Plex.

Their NFO importer for TV supports the "old" XBMC standard but MB3 shouldn't support this as the goal is to goal forward.

There is no point to have a Plex saver plugin because they don't officially fetch metadata from files to my knowledge (and I'm sure MB team would do it if it would...).

So the real possible and easy co existence, sharing same metadata and images is really just with MB3 and XBMC leaving Plex in their bubble.

Edited by sfnetwork

ginjaninja
what are you going to use it for?

Hi luke

I use plex client on my samsung tv (no mb3 client for now)

I prefer plex over mb3 on roku and android for now as I get reliable audio transcoding.

Have purchased both and would prefer to stick with mb3 as I do not like plexes support for local metadata and the 40gb library index plex creates.

ginjaninja
For MB server, it will do everything exactly how it should be for XBMC following latest naming convention (XBMC saver) and for itself of course.

After this in, Plex, the NFO importer agent "should" use those (but it has issues for TV as described above with the tv show posters, but this should be discussed in Plex forum, obviously)

In the meantime, for TV use the TVDB agent as it's the only one that works correctly but this is going to be specific metadata/images for Plex.

Their NFO importer for TV supports the "old" XBMC standard but MB3 shouldn't support this as the goal is to goal forward.

There is no point to have a Plex saver plugin because they don't officially fetch metadata from files to my knowledge (and I'm sure MB team would do it if it would...).

So the real possible and easy co existence, sharing same metadata and images is really just with MB3 and XBMC leaving Plex in their bubble.

Ty for advice ..so no 100% coexistence for now. (mb3's folder jpgs will interfere with plex)..maybe if xbmc can do away with folder.jpgs for tv as well (as plex prefers for consistent/predictable tv posters) then the mb3 compatable mode might (with further development) store and reference images with filenames (not folder.jpg) that all 3 could reliably and consistently reference (even if that did mean storing duplicates or using 3rd party plex agents)

Edited by ginjaninja

ginjaninja

wild goose chase.:-( i happened to leave MB3 on compatible mode...I used the dashboard to update a few season and show posters....and MB3 has removed all references to folder.jpg and created season and show posters in a compatable plex format....

So it seems that compatable mode was a 100% solution all along...feeling a bit stoopid now

Edited by ginjaninja