XBox 360 with live TV?

jriker1

jriker1

Does the LiveTV functionality in emby work with the Xbox 360 as an extender?  Also is this actually emby or some additional third party add-on I would have to install?

Thanks.

JR

I would just use windows media center's live tv support with the 360. At this point I do not think we're going to do the work to add our own live tv presentation into emby for windows media center.

jriker1

Thanks.  This is a bummer as we just had another loss of guide data and came back today but only had 1 1/2 days of guide data left before it stopped recording.  People were panicing and now looking for potential alternatives.  Without xbox extender support that makes it difficult for people to consider dropping WMC for Emby's TV functionality.  That's the case with every other solution so not unusual, I just use Emby/MediaBrowser for years for my video content and integration into Xbox so would like to consider this an alternative at some point.

Thanks.

JR

Edited by jriker1

We have lots of live tv options on other devices including our own emby theater which runs on an htpc. obviously i can understand you want to stay with the 360 for as long as you can but at some point you just have to face the inevitable.

jriker1

Thanks.  Maybe deviating from the intent of the thread but my thread. :) Does Emby support extenders from a PC perspective?  So central recording, live TV all from a central server?  And then maybe use an Intel NUC as an "extender" or "client"?  Trying to see if I can emulate the central management concept even if I need to change the client hardware.  Little hesitant on the experience of my family managing a PC with a universal remote and how intuitive that will work.  Open to other ideas but essentially, central management and clients for several TV's.  Plus have my Windows 2012 server managing movies thru Emby plus music.

Note I have created all my movies as WMV HD in order to eliminate transcoding and also allow 5.1 thru the Xbox to my receiver.  If I go a different route, will I have to deal with transcoding to play my existing movies?

Thanks.

JR

Edited by jriker1

That is actually the whole design of Emby.

You can use any number of devices as clients from Google boxes to Amazon Fire TV to a NUC or HTPC or a tablet or a phone...

jriker1

Just a ping as I edited my last post right when you responded so if you could take a second look.  Thanks.

JR

Edited by jriker1

mjktg99

Note I have created all my movies as WMV HD in order to eliminate transcoding and also allow 5.1 thru the Xbox to my receiver.  If I go a different route, will I have to deal with transcoding to play my existing movies?

Thanks.

JR

Transcoding is pretty much dependent on the device that is playing the media.  So if you went with Emby Theatre on a Windows machine, you probably wouldn't transcode anything as long as that Windows machine can natively play that file or you install the codec support to play that file.  But a Roku for example, might not be able to play that WMV file without transcoding (not saying it cant but I didn't look up its supported formats)  And for 5.1, there are also the TV's limitations to handle that audio as well.  I have a TV that couldn't handle DD so it always transcoded with a Roku.  But with a Shield TV, it doesn't because the Shield is much more capable.