Streaming "from" Kodi "to" Emby Server for http://EmbyIP:8096 access ?

atharmian

atharmian

Now that Emby Server is working stable for several days post 3.0.5882 version, and streaming LiveTV m3u playlist to remote browser with a non-admin user account (something Plex doesn't support even with its paid PlexPass Managed User Account(s)), my next question:

This might sound stupid given that Kodi is a "client" that can be attached to Emby Server, but then Kodi also has a web server. This web server problem is that it cannot stream to a remote browser, just displays files,maybe a problem of Kodi not transcoding ? (or at least I have failed at it repeatedly !)

So, given Kodi's huge plugins and media support, is it possible to stream Kodi IPTV "to" Emby Server, such that the user can access these IPTV (and other) streams via Emby remote browser, http://EmbyServer-IP:8096 ?

Edited by atharmian

Angelblue05

I'm not sure about your first question. Are you talking about accessing Kodi content from another Kodi? If so, you have to use native playback in the emby for kodi add-on for maximum compatibility with kodi. However note that doing so, you will not be able to direct stream/transcode and cinema mode is not applicable. You will need to resync your library in order to change the playback mode.

The add-on only brings the emby library into Kodi and monitors it. It is not aware of anything else going on in Kodi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atharmian

Angelblue05,

I guess the answer is NO:)

My question was about accessing IPTV/ other content streams, given lots of Kodi plugins, in Kodi via Emby Server; then accessing this content via http from Emby Server.

That is, IPTV source> Kodi> Emby-Kodi plugin > Emby Server> HTTP://EmbyServerIP:32400/web > Remote Chrome Browser.

Real problem: I cannot get the Kodi webserver to stream IPTV (e.g. live play TV channel streams from ivue2 or IPTV Simple Client) to a remote chrome browser with http://Kodi-IP:8080, either with the default or Chorus web plugin. The channel stream notification appears in the browser at the bottom as well as the menus, but the streams do not play in main window.

So I thought maybe the live streams could be played in a remote browser via Emby - Kodi plugin through Emby Server.

atharmian

I see :(

I know this isn't a Kodi forum, but do you want comments on fixing the Kodi remote browser IPTV streaming problem?

atharmian

Angelblue05,

Found the Kodi webserver non-streaming answer, going through the Chorus webserver thread on Kodi Forums.

Because browsers like Chrome have dropped support for vlc like codecs, live transcoding is not possible, since Kodi doesn't support it (yet.)

There is a github.com/markmuth project listing attempted live transcode code that is not mainlined yet. Also links from the Chorus WebUI thread by jez500, the Chorus Dev.

1. I was thinking: since Emby is open source, and fully supports live transcoding, and links to Kodi, why hasn't anyone from the Kodi side looked at your work? Or is just difficult to port??

2. On the reverse side, how difficult is it to port Kodi IPTV plug-ins to Emby?

Seems like there is a catch on both sides that mirrors the other issue! Either Kodi or Emby or both could do well adopting one strategy?

atharmian

Luke

You are right. At least the Emby LiveTV works well. Video Bookmarks had some issues we duscussed recently which might nice be fixed with v3.0.5882.

My discussion above is about why PlexPass fails and why Kodi could be made much better with Emby like "live" transcoding support.

And the answer could come out of Emby's own open source code !

atharmian

Luke,

No editing capability here on my phone, so typos...

My point is that Emby could do much better with market share of Kodi can gear up for transcoding, since both are complementary, but Kodi has huge plug-in and repository base plus installed base.

atharmian

Well to be honest it is not one thing :)

E.g., why can't a user stream from Emby to Kodi, AND this stream/ content be processed by Kodi's many apps; so then this processed content ( e.g., in an EPG) can be accessed via a remote browser / client app ?

Yes you can directly stream from Emby but then Emby doesn't have lots of plug-ins yet. E.g., a working EPG.

Existing Kodi users will prefer to use the Emby-Kodi plugin as opposed to coming directly to Emby. Why even make Kodi users have to install Emby Server, instead just let them login to the Emby- Kodi plug in and use Emby Cloud as backend, like PlexPass?

Asking users to switch from PlexPass to Emby is difficult. Facilitating the much bigger Kodi base, with content now actually on Emby, is more sensible, imho.

Emby still cannot stream to Kodi using the Video Bookmark, according to a recent reply by Angelblue05.

If such an arrangement exists, I wouldn't know, and I bet most users don't either.

In the end Emby still doesn't have the Kodi or Plex kind of market share. So there need be a way to facilitate 3rd party dev, basically leveraging the Kodi/ Plex base by modding existing plug-ins/ channels. Existing users will see benefits.

atharmian

Basically, help Kodi, without transcoding today, look like a server ( with Emby actually in control), before Kodi dev do the server part themselves.

Angelblue05

The server IPTV plugin never worked in Kodi, I do not know why. I don't use the server plugin, since I never managed to get it working. Someone else would have to step up to find why it's not working, as I do not have the time to look into this. Other channels, like twitch tv work fine.

atharmian

And yes, not all content need be stored in the Cloud.

Maybe this all is too complicated, or maybe it can all be done step by step( maybe that is the plan.) Getting bigger market share has costs.

atharmian

Rant Plus:

You may have a great tech product, but like others, a terrible marketing strategy.

Why not have a comparison table right on your home page (may be the Oct 2015 one from htpcbegin site), with an email box for a newsletter (basically just your blog.)

Assuming that people will just discover your benefits on their own never works.

IMHO, your pitch:

- We directly interface with Kodi and do live transcoding, neither which Plex supports officially.

- We support features like non-admin user login and others Plex charges for and requires an admin login all the time.

- We will make things simple. From Kodi just download our plugin, and automatically install our actual server with default settings as well. No separate downloads needed.

- We will make it easy to port the popular Kodi and Plex plug-ins. We are open source.

- We don't condone illegal streaming. But we allow experimentation because that is what open source is.

- Lastly you will really like our premium features which we include Day1 as 30 day trial.

There is no "Emby cloud".  Your server is what manages and delivers your content.  From our perspective, Kodi is a consumer of that content not a provider.

Luke's question still stands though - what specific content are you trying to get into Emby?  Some of the items you can get to with Kodi are not going to be supported by us ever due to legal reasons so we need to know exactly what you are trying to access to know how plausible it is.

atharmian

There is nothing illegal about it :)

I was just trying to stream some ustvnow type IPTV or other free channels from Emby to be accessed by Kodi. So I don't know how to do that.

Initially I did not understand Luke's question. He needs to be specific since I asked more than one!

Again a guide doc beyond just a wiki link would help.

Angelblue05

The server IPTV plugin never worked in Kodi, I do not know why. I don't use the server plugin, since I never managed to get it working. Someone else would have to step up to find why it's not working, as I do not have the time to look into this. Other channels, like twitch tv work fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

atharmian

Angelblue05,

Thanks for pointing out once again.

Luke removed the Twitch plugin since it didn't work; neither did ITV for me.

I still don't seem to have any instructions for IPTV- Emby-Kodi after a dozen attempts. I was right complaining about the plug-ins as above, one of which was removed.

Maybe Luke is a genius ( read his Linux Mag interview from last year) but we do have a communications problem.

The reason I am spending so much time is that Emby is a great product, but people don't know!

Will repeat an earlier post ( here or on Plex):

From Punch Magazine c.1840

" Marketing without advertising is like winking at a girl in the dark. Nobody else knows what is going on."