Transcoder always crashing pc

Ponyo
Go to solution Solved by Ponyo,

Ponyo

Hi,

Finally having emby and kodi and everything else setup more or less how I like it I now started testing transcoding. Before I did some tests having movies run for a couple of minutes just to see if audio, subs etc were working but this time I tried to see how the server would perform running for the full length of a movie.

Unfortunately its seems to crash every 10 ~ 15 minutes. It doesn't just crash the emby server but the whole pc.

This happens both with transcoding from the andriod app as well as the browser.

I attached the logs.

logs.zip

Edited by Ponyo

jds828

What are the PC specs?

Also, have you looked in the operating system logs to see if it shows the cause of the crash?

I'm not saying it is this but I had one in that did more or less the same thing. After the bloke had been told to buy more RAM and better graphics etc. It turned out to be a bad power supply. It was ok in normal tasks but as soon as it was quite heavily loaded, it crashed every time.

Ponyo

Intel NUC6i3 (skylake) with 8gb ram. Specs aren't the problem, it does about 30fps with between 70 ~ 80% load with plenty of free memory.

I tried with another file and in this case it made kodi crash while I tried to direct play a file while the browser that was transcoding was still working. The system is fine just running kodi directplaying.

I'll take a look at the windows logs and run a cpu burn test tomorrow.

Ponyo

I don't think its a hardware issue.

Got furmark, the furmark cpu stresstest and two instances of the intel burn in test running at the same time. 100% cpu and gpu usage with the cpu hovering between 60 and 63 degrees but the whole thing is stable.

Could somebody take a look at my logs?

Its a pretty bare bones windows 7 install and apart from the emby server I only got kodi running as a front end on the same device.

if the "whole PC is crashing" then this is more than likely something at a level other than the app.  Is there a dump file or windows event log error?  What does "crashing" actually mean? Exactly, what happens?

Are you trying to use quicksync?  If so, you might try disabling that.  Also, make sure all video and other hardware drivers are up to date.

• Solution
Ponyo

Quicksync causes audio to be out of sync with video so I'm not using that.

I think the issue was caused by a combination of the NUC, my old SSD and Windows 7. I didn't really bother to investigate further and just went straight with a new SSD and Windows 10. Things now seem to be stable.

• Like 1