About subtiltes

cchsieh

cchsieh

About subtitles,

If I check "Use VLC for playback", the chinese internal subtitles won't show correct words.

not correct: post-118966-0-34669400-1457953053_thumb.jpg

If I uncheck it, the chinese internal subtitles show correctly, but it won't load and show subtitles automatically. (the audio has the same situation)

correct: post-118966-0-87564300-1457953052_thumb.jpg

If I check "Use VLC for playback", it will load and show subtitils automatically but won't choose the external subtitle first.

Edited by cchsieh

So, you have two different sets of the same subtitles - one internal and one external?

Can you post the media info from the web client detail screen for this item and then also your subtitle settings?  Thanks.

cchsieh

About the first / second situation (chinese words can't show correctly) only happens when using chinese internal subtitles. 

If using external chinese subtitles, the chinese words will be shown correctly.

meida info: post-118966-0-93712400-1457968240_thumb.jpg

Sorry ... I forgot to mention it.

So, you have two different sets of the same subtitles - one internal and one external?

Can you post the media info from the web client detail screen for this item and then also your subtitle settings?  Thanks.

About the third situation, because the internal subtitles don't have chinese language, I have to use external subtitles. Emby for Android will show external subtitles first, but Emby for Android TV won't.

meida info: post-118966-0-06946700-1457967059_thumb.jpg

subtitle settings: post-118966-0-30842800-1457967060_thumb.jpg

Edited by cchsieh

About the first / second situation (chinese words can't show correctly) only happens when using chinese internal subtitles. 

If using external chinese subtitles, no problems.

The information you showed me was for one with external subtitles which, you say above, works fine. Can you show me information for one that doesn't work properly?

cchsieh

Sorry, I just modified my reply #3  :P and attached another media info and also modify some words. 

Edited by cchsieh

cchsieh

Is the mobile app transcoding the item or direct playing it?

if check "Use VLC for playback", it is direct playing the movie.

post-118966-0-63205500-1457969256_thumb.jpg

if uncheck "Use VLC for playback", it is transcoding the movie.

post-118966-0-99509300-1457969256_thumb.jpg

if check "Use VLC for playback", it is direct playing the movie.

attachicon.gifdirect.jpg

if uncheck "Use VLC for playback", it is transcoding the movie.

attachicon.giftranscode.jpg

I meant in the mobile app because you said it didn't have this problem. 

cchsieh

I meant in the mobile app because you said it didn't have this problem. 

I checked the mobile app again. 

When direct playing, it donesn't display correct chinese words with internal chinese subtitiles. 

When transcoding, it displays correct chinese words with internal chinese subtitiles.

BTW, KODI with Emby plugin can display correct chinese words no matter when direct playing or transcoding.

These internal chinese subtitiles are SRT format, not bitmap.

So, Is any way to deal with the situation ? 

Thanks in advance.

Edited by cchsieh

Okay, so the mobile app is behaving exactly the same way.  More than likely, the issue is the encoding of the internal subs is not understood by VLC.  If you can get me a small sample of a video with these type of subs in them, I can see if there is anything that can be done about that (not sure there will be but I can try).

cchsieh

I don't know how is the VLC library. But I tried VLC for Android, and directly play the file and display chinese words correctly. About VLC for Windows, it need to modify some font setting in windows system, choose correct font in VLC, and then it display chinese words correctly. I'll send you the link of  movie sample by message. 

And if it is possible, please provide an option to choose external subtitle first. 

Thanks anyway.

Thanks for the sample but I could not find an encoding setting that would make them display properly.  For now, you probably will need to either obtain external subs or re-encode those to UTF-8.

cchsieh

After looking through some webpages and doing some tests, I found that is the font problem.

The default chinese font in Android is /system/fonts/DroidSansFallback.ttf

VLC of Emby seems use /system/fonts/DroidSans-Bold.ttf

After I replace DroidSans-Bold.ttf with SourceHanSans-Bold.otf which is free from web, and VLC of Emby can display chinese internal subtitles. I tested it in AMI DuOS with root, but I can't modify the fonts in other machines without root (such as my Sony Android TV) . So how the VLC for Android do it ?! no font option in that app.

Direct Playing : post-118966-0-37851000-1458055970_thumb.jpg

Hope it help. Thanks.

Great.  Thanks for the investigation.

It is possible that newer versions of VLC use the other font or that their actual app is supplying a different one somehow.