Unable to play (some) movies via DLNA

josch.hh

josch.hh

When i try to play movies by controlling Kodi via the iPad emby app (DLNA) i have "some" movies which simple dont play and create ugly error messages in the log files:

pastebin log

Here the ffprobe info from the movie for this exmaple: pastebin movie info

You got the full log in the link above... but the issue start with

2016-03-13 18:28:56.1026 Error DtoUtils: ServiceBase<TRequest>::Service Exception
        *** Error Report ***
        Version: 3.0.5882.0
        Command line: /data/emby/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe
        Operating system: Unix 4.2.0.25
        Processor count: 2
        64-Bit OS: True
        64-Bit Process: True
        Program data path: /data/emby/ProgramData-Server
        Mono: 3.2.8 (Debian 3.2.8+dfsg-4ubuntu4)
        Application Path: /data/emby/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe
        Object reference not set to an instance of an object
        System.NullReferenceException
          at MediaBrowser.Api.Playback.BaseStreamingService.GetAudioEncoder (MediaBrowser.Api.Playback.StreamState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Api.Playback.Progressive.VideoService.GetAudioArguments (MediaBrowser.Api.Playback.StreamState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Api.Playback.Progressive.VideoService.GetCommandLineArguments (System.String outputPath, MediaBrowser.Api.Playback.StreamState state, Boolean isEncoding) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Api.Playback.BaseStreamingService.GetOutputFilePath (MediaBrowser.Api.Playback.StreamState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Api.Playback.BaseStreamingService+<GetState>d__2d.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

Exactly the same when i try to play it via DLNA on a Samsung TV.

I dont know why some work and some not. They are mainly the same mkv files with h264 and DD or DTS.

I already deleted and recreate the whole DB with rescan. Even killing the complete config data of emby and started from scratch.

They are all playing fine with any other DLNA server.

The funny thing is that if i browse the movies via for example the Samsung TV's internal DLNA client, the movie that wont play (via DLNA remote controll) even are not visible in the list, but i cannot find any issues when i use the emby media browser to check the movies which dont play.

Any idea?

Edited by josch.hh

josch.hh

BTW, why is emby using this mine typ for h264 mkv file: video/mpt2 instead of what other DLNA servers use: video/x-matroska ?

josch.hh

What does the media info for the item look like in the web interface?

Thanks for the reply.

The media infos says:

56e9ce1f6b690_w.jpg

Edited by josch.hh

josch.hh

Plz help me with this....

I am really willing to buy a lifetime license, but i need to make it running well..... ;)

Happy2Play

What profile is being used?  Any time I get a "HTTP Response 500" on my old Samsung, the tv doesn't like the format for some reason.

Hi, what you could try doing is doing to the kodi dlna profile and edit the max bitrate. set it to a really high value like 50000000. that should get most of your content to direct play.

josch.hh

Hi, what you could try doing is doing to the kodi dlna profile and edit the max bitrate. set it to a really high value like 50000000. that should get most of your content to direct play.

Does not make a difference.

To be honest this can't be the solution for the ugly NullReferenceException from the logs in the first posting:

System.NullReferenceException
          at MediaBrowser.Api.Playback.BaseStreamingService.GetAudioEncoder (MediaBrowser.Api.Playback.StreamState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Api.Playback.Progressive.VideoService.GetAudioArguments (MediaBrowser.Api.Playback.StreamState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Api.Playback.Progressive.VideoService.GetCommandLineArguments (System.String outputPath, MediaBrowser.Api.Playback.StreamState state, Boolean isEncoding) [0x00000] in <filename                     unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Api.Playback.BaseStreamingService.GetOutputFilePath (MediaBrowser.Api.Playback.StreamState state) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
          at MediaBrowser.Api.Playback.BaseStreamingService+<GetState>d__2d.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I am sure this exception should never happen when trying to play a file which has been scanned by emby itself and put into the database ... and the file has not been deleted from the scanned directory.

Also dont think that the error has anything to do with the profile for Kodi or Samsung.

josch.hh

Then it sounds like you know more than I do :)

i am sure you know more then me.

cant you try to debug this?

Edited by josch.hh

josch.hh

Then it sounds like you know more than I do :)

... I guess i found the bug... and i assume it is one.

Emby doesn't seem to like embedded PGSSUB subtitles.

All the movies i tried to play and which didn't work had these emebedded subtitles.

I cross checked by removing the PGSSUB with mkvtoolnix from one of the files and it played.

external srt subtiltles are no issue.

Can someone verifiy this?

Edited by josch.hh

did you customize the kodi dlna profile by chance? we would need to see logs relating to pgs subtitle playback to accurately diagnose. thanks.

josch.hh

did you customize the kodi dlna profile by chance? we would need to see logs relating to pgs subtitle playback to accurately diagnose. thanks.

Yes, forgot that i removed any kind of transcoding from the kodi profile. Because i like to avoid transcoding whereever i can.

BTW, the new Samsung J Series which i have 2 of them don't work with transcoding for whatever resason... so far what i found and what is confirm by people from UMS and Serviio.

Anyhow, if i add PGSSUB as embedded subtitle profile to the DLNA profile of Kodi and Samsung it works!

So thanks very much to solve it! ;-) But i am still wondering about the error messages in the log which misled me...

BTW is this behaviour from emby by intention...? Because as i didn't understand well the way emby behaves it led me to a wrong conclusion and so i wasn't really able to solve it on my own... Don't you think it is useful to change the way of logging to maybe give a better hint what is wrong in such cases?

P.S.: Now i need to solve the new issue that my Samsung J-series doesn't show the external subs even if they are froced. This is working with Kodi and i know it should work with the Samsung J-series because for example it is running well with serviio. Should i open a new thread for this?

Edited by josch.hh

Happy2Play

Well the Kodi profile has the config for .sup subtitles and the Samsung profile doesn't unless you modified it.

Kodi profile

<SubtitleProfiles>

<SubtitleProfile format="srt" method="External" />

<SubtitleProfile format="sub" method="External" />

<SubtitleProfile format="srt" method="Embed" didlMode="" />

<SubtitleProfile format="sub" method="Embed" didlMode="" />

</SubtitleProfiles>

Samsung profile

<SubtitleProfiles>
    <SubtitleProfile format="srt" method="External" didlMode="CaptionInfoEx" />
  </SubtitleProfiles>

There are so many models with different support so in the end one has to customize the profile to their model.

Edited by Happy2Play

josch.hh

Well the Kodi profile has the config for .sup subtitles and the Samsung profile doesn't unless you modified it.

Kodi profile

<SubtitleProfiles>

<SubtitleProfile format="srt" method="External" />

<SubtitleProfile format="sub" method="External" />

<SubtitleProfile format="srt" method="Embed" didlMode="" />

<SubtitleProfile format="sub" method="Embed" didlMode="" />

</SubtitleProfiles>

Samsung profile

<SubtitleProfiles>
    <SubtitleProfile format="srt" method="External" didlMode="CaptionInfoEx" />
  </SubtitleProfiles>

There are so many models with different support so in the end one has to customize the profile to their model.

Sorry i wasn't precise enough.

I am trying to play SRT EXTERNAL subs with the Samsung, which work well with Kodi and with another DLNA server, i.e. Serviio.

But the SRT EXTERNAL subs are already in the Samsung profile as you just showed... or ?

Edited by josch.hh

Yes, forgot that i removed any kind of transcoding from the kodi profile. Because i like to avoid transcoding whereever i can.

BTW, the new Samsung J Series which i have 2 of them don't work with transcoding for whatever resason... so far what i found and what is confirm by people from UMS and Serviio.

Anyhow, if i add PGSSUB as embedded subtitle profile to the DLNA profile of Kodi and Samsung it works!

So thanks very much to solve it! ;-) But i am still wondering about the error messages in the log which misled me...

BTW is this behaviour from emby by intention...? Because as i didn't understand well the way emby behaves it led me to a wrong conclusion and so i wasn't really able to solve it on my own... Don't you think it is useful to change the way of logging to maybe give a better hint what is wrong in such cases?

P.S.: Now i need to solve the new issue that my Samsung J-series doesn't show the external subs even if they are froced. This is working with Kodi and i know it should work with the Samsung J-series because for example it is running well with serviio. Should i open a new thread for this?

Well the removing of transcoding explains the error in post #8 because there was a condition that required transcoding and then as a result of those changes it couldn't figure out how to transcode.

Ok, i've fixed external srt for samsung, at least on my samsung testing tv. it'll be in the next release. if you're on windows you can try it on the beta tomorrow.