Downloading Subtitles Broken?

fonzie
Go to solution Solved by Angelblue05,

fonzie

I used to have the subtitle downloader from within Kodi working perfectly with the Emby addon.  It would download the selected subtitles and store it in the corresponding movie folder.

But I've now realized that it is no longer doing that since the update to Jarvis, I believe.  I can download the subtitles for the movie, but they are not stored in the movie folder, and if I restart Kodi...the subtitles are no longer found.  It seems to me that the subs are being stored somewhere temporarily.  I have the subtitle settings set to save in the movie folder, so I'm not sure if something is broken.

Any advice?

Angelblue05

What playback mode are you using (addon or native)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fonzie

It is direct streaming (no transcoding) through the Emby addon in Kodi.  I have the directory going through http rather than smb, because I've never been able to get smb working in the addon.  My library shows up in Kodi as if it were native library, but the metadata is always synced in real time with the Emby library.

Angelblue05

Ok, so there you have your answer as to why the subtitles are being saved only temporarily. You will need to fix your permissions or paths so they can be accessed directly over the network, this way Kodi subtitle add-on can also access your media folders.

How are your paths like in the emby dashboard > library? Let me know.

fonzie

My library and Emby server are running on unRAID.

The directory for movies in my dashboard is:

/mnt/Movies

So, for clarification should I have it set up as Native or Addon?

• Solution
Angelblue05

Both playback mode will work. As long as you direct play, the kodi subtitle add-on will be able to save the subs into the content directory rather than a temp folder.

Your paths should be formatted and reflect an accessible network share, with the help of path substitution in the emby dashboard > library:

To: \\{server ip}\ <--- translated as samba(smb) file protocol client side.

Then the server will report your paths as: \\{server ip}\Movies

Note this is just an example, you need to make sure the paths are valid and accessible. :)

Edited by Angelblue05