A, The etc ignored when sorting by name

Ponyo
Go to solution Solved by Deathsquirrel,

Ponyo

Hi,

I noticed emby isn't properly sorting movies by name (alphabetical) when a movie name starts with something like "A" or "The".

E.g. A bridge too far will end up under B instead of A.

Version 3.0.5882.0

I found some other similar threads that mentioned using a custom sorting order or use folder names but I don't have such a option. Either way, A comes before B, no matter how you look at it me thinks :P

Is there any way to fix this?

You probably have a custom sort title in your metadata containing those prefixes, and if you do, then that's why that is happening.

• Solution
Deathsquirrel

Hi,

I noticed emby isn't properly sorting movies by name (alphabetical) when a movie name starts with something like "A" or "The".

E.g. A bridge too far will end up under B instead of A.

Version 3.0.5882.0

I found some other similar threads that mentioned using a custom sorting order or use folder names but I don't have such a option. Either way, A comes before B, no matter how you look at it me thinks :P

Is there any way to fix this?

Putting 'A Bridge Too Far' under the letter B IS correctly alphabetizing.  Now if you want to incorrectly alphabetize it under A, or have every movie starting with The under T you can use the sort title field in the metadata editor.  If you save the metadata with A Bridge Too Far in that field the movie will appear under A.

The list of ignored terms when alphabetizing is also stored in an XML config file.  I understand you can modify that manually.  It's documented in another thread.  That manual change may not survive server updates though.

• Like 2

Deathsquirrel

But he said A comes before B no matter how you look at it ?

Then he should visit a darn library some year and learn that he's wrong ;)

Ponyo

Does the metadata look like this in metadata manager?

56e4455612a14_Capture.png

The sort name is empty for all movies that have a and the ignored.

Ponyo

Then he should visit a darn library some year and learn that he's wrong ;)

Japanese libraries don't work the same[emoji14]

Isn't it possible to sort by alphabetical order regardless of whether that is actually the "correct" way?

I'd prefer not having to edit the metadata because that is time consuming and the whole point of running Emby is saving time and not having to do stuff manually ;)

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

They should be ignored. If you wish to change the sort order, fill in the Sort Name field to suit your needs. A tool like Media Center Master can fill in the sort name for your .nfo files automatically.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

Happy2Play

As mentioned per built in config (A, An, and The) are automatically ignored.

<SortRemoveWords>
    <string>the</string>
    <string>a</string>
    <string>an</string>
  </SortRemoveWords>

Here is a good example A.I. Artificial Intelligence shows up in "I" instead of "A" unless you use Sort Name field.  Sort name field take priority and sortremovewords don't apply.

56e4c19936cf0_example.jpg

• Like 1

Happy2Play

@@Luke is there any side effects clearing the <string> from the SortRemoveWords in system.xml?

Edit: it would appear not since there are other threads stating the same advice, clear out the string settings.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/9612-change-sort-order-to-not-ignore-prefix/?p=123788

Edited by Happy2Play

The server updates dont wipe config changes. It merely updates the /system directory

Edit: i meant /system not /server folder.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

Happy2Play

Will that change need to be redone after a server update?

From testing on an update or reinstall on already installed dev system, no.

Ponyo

@@Luke is there any side effects clearing the <string> from the SortRemoveWords in system.xml?

Edit: it would appear not since there are other threads stating the same advice, clear out the string settings.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/9612-change-sort-order-to-not-ignore-prefix/?p=123788

Thanks, I'll try editing that string.  I suppose you could just remove write rights on the file to avoid updates overwriting any changes made after a update.

I suppose you could just remove write rights on the file to avoid updates overwriting any changes made after a update.

I wouldn't advise that as it would then make it impossible to modify any configuration options.

Ian-Highlander

Just change

<SortRemoveWords>
    <string>the</string>
    <string>a</string>
    <string>an</string>
  </SortRemoveWords>

to

<SortRemoveWords />

In 

C:\Users\[yourusername]\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\config\system.xml

One of the first things I did when I first installed Emby as I hate the so called "correct" way of sorting things that convention seems to deem is how we should all do it.

If you saw "The Avengers" written down, you wouldn't say it "Avengers, The" would you? So why the bloody hell would anyone want it sorted that way, never got it, never will. All my media is sorted alphabetically as per the names they were given. Don't care what other people do as long as it's not forced onto me though and Emby lets us sort it the "right" way  ( :lol: ) by removing those options in the config which is good enough for me if it works.

Edited by Ian-Highlander