Collections useguide/wiki

Schroinx

Schroinx

I can't seem to locate the guide for how to deal with collections inn the wiki. Would it not make sense to have an entry together with the naming etc etc stuff on how to deal with this?

• Like 1

Sure, it would be great to have as much as possible in the wiki. For collections though, there really isn't any naming. You keep your movies as-is and design your collections using the web interface.

Deathsquirrel

I can't seem to locate the guide for how to deal with collections inn the wiki. Would it not make sense to have an entry together with the naming etc etc stuff on how to deal with this?

If you want to build collections using folders on your HDD you simply create a folder called '<Collection Title> [boxset]', such as 'Rocky Collection [boxset]'.  Then move the collection movies into that folder.

This is absolutely the wrong way to do it.  It will not work with all collection functions and all clients.  Do not build collections this way even though the server should recognize them.

As Luke said, just create collections using the web UI or get the autoboxset plugin.  You'll be much happier with the results and the effort required.

Edited by Deathsquirrel

Schroinx

Luke, i just think there should be a short entry on how to do it smart. I have my collections in subfolders, but will change that now.

Does Emby store the info in the file info or in its own database, so it is retained when reinstalling Emby?

Deathsquirrel
Does Emby store the info in the file info or in its own database, so it is retained when reinstalling Emby?

The collections are built in the server files, not in the media folders, so if you were to install a new server and point it at the same media files you wouldn't see collections.  There is a server configuration backup plugin, but it doesn't appear to do collections.  There is a Auto Boxset plugin that will rebuild most collections just about instantly though, so that should help.

If you save your metadata with the movie files you'll see that the collection ID is written to the .NFO file for each movie.  Presumably that is useful for the plugin rebuilding your collections more quickly.

Edited by Deathsquirrel

The old folder method we don't plan to document because we don't want to encourage people to do it that way, so that is by design. The newer method built into the UI, yes it's a good idea to have a wiki article for it.