Does Emby library support different Kodi versions + other qs?

djon

I have been using XBMC/Kodi with MySQL library for years, but it has always annoyed me that I need the exact same version of Kodi to be able to use MySQL library, especially now that I have both Windows, Openelec and Android machines running. Will that no longer be necessary if I switch to Emby library?

Also, is it the emby server that does the library updating from now on, meaning I won't have to wait for Kodi to update the library every time I start it? 

xnappo

Correct on both!

You'll love it :D

There is a short sync between the server and Kodi when you start, but nothing like the library scan.  Make sure you install the SyncQueue addon on the server.

Edited by xnappo
  • Like 1

e123enitan

I have been using XBMC/Kodi with MySQL library for years, but it has always annoyed me that I need the exact same version of Kodi to be able to use MySQL library, especially now that I have both Windows, Openelec and Android machines running. Will that no longer be necessary if I switch to Emby library?

Also, is it the emby server that does the library updating from now on, meaning I won't have to wait for Kodi to update the library every time I start it? 

First welcome on board just to share my experience, I came from same back ground where my every thing is managed through sql, painful also I have used Plex/mediaportal. anyway your have make right decision to cross over to emby.

In view you can't go wrong, my emby server is on Windows 7, and various clients, Android, Wins 7/USB Openelec 6.0.3 (Kodi 15.2), 2 Wins7  laptops (Jarvis 16), 4 Tronsmarts S802 running Unofficial Openelec, plus the wonderful EMBY/KODI Waooo it has crossed milestone this act as interface between server and cliens thanks to great team all these devices are sourcing from a single server. You only need to manage every thing from serve, emby server does every thing you can imagine and more, best all of all great support team.

Edited by e123enitan
  • Like 2

Ok, so i installed the Emby server, made two libraries, one for Movies and one for TV. Under Library I can see them both and they have some covers showing some of the movies/TV. But how do I see and edit the actual library? If I for instance want to change a cover or something like that.

Can't I browse the library on the server web interface?

Now when I switch to Emby on Kodi I assume that I remove the mysql settings in the advancedsettings file, and download the Emby addon. From the addon I then connect to the Emby server and from here the Emby library will be copied to Kodi's local DB on each client?

• Like 1

xnappo

1. Go to Menu->Meta Data Manager or from the item hit the 'three vertical dots' and select 'Edit Images'

2. Yes, the first time sync will take a bit, but it only happens once, then additional changes are handled in the background

3. Remember to install the SyncQueue addon on the server :)

• Like 1

e123enitan

Ok, so i installed the Emby server, made two libraries, one for Movies and one for TV. Under Library I can see them both and they have some covers showing some of the movies/TV. But how do I see and edit the actual library? If I for instance want to change a cover or something like that.

Now when I switch to Emby on Kodi I assume that I remove the mysql settings in the advancedsettings file, and download the Emby addon. From the addon I then connect to the Emby server and from here the Emby library will be copied to Kodi's local DB on each client?

In case you haven't got to this stage, here is the link to download, EMBY/Kodi report 

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby/wiki/Emby-Repository

or 

http://emby.media/download.html

under emby apps, chose Kodi 

For guru support, who else other than Xnappo and Angelblue you are in a safe hands, you will be sorted out in no time  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

• Like 2

Vidman

If you ensure your library's are defined with UNC paths (or use path substitution), and start on a fresh kodi install (no sources or advanced settings and clear database) you should have no problems

• Like 2

This seems like a friendly and helpful community  :)

What I meant about the library is, if it's possible to edit it somehow? Where are the images and metadata information stored, and can it be manually edited? Sometimes scraping will get a movie wrong, so how will I help it to get the correct information for the correct movie?

Can I for instance define that I want information to be retrieved from IMDB.com? Where is it default retrieved from? I was thinking that I could see the actual contens of the Movie and TV library on the Emby server, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Maybe I misunderstand something  :D

Concerning path substitution, I am testing on Android and Openelec. Usually I have always used SMB shares. Should I do the same here and how do I write that? I don't think a simple UNC type naming "\\Server\Movies" will work on these platforms. Should it be smb://server/movies?

Vidman

All that editing you require can be done with the web client

In the dashboard under metadata you can define provider preferences and in metadata editor you can change images and identify unidentified/incorrectly identified items etc

Edited by Vidman

xnappo

UNC paths will work, we take care of changing it to smb.   Make sure to put your username and password into the addon  settings if needed though.

Alright I'm getting closer. Thanks for all the tips so far!

When adding my TV shows to the library it seems that some shows are defined as Watched from the beginning while others aren't. Not quite sure why. I changed the watched status in Kodi for the ones I hadn't seen yet. 

I have some kid shows and folders for tv recordings and I don't want them in the Emby library. Will there be any problems in adding these folders as a SMB source in Kodi and just watch them as files?

I noticed that Emby wrote that it failed direct streaming and switched to HTTP instead. What can cause this? Are there any downsides to using HTTP? I manually disabled it again, so it doesn't use HTTP any more, but wonder if it'l do it again.

When Emby sets the in progress tag for a half watched TV-show or movie, a popup appears for a second in the top of the screen. Can this be turned off?

Vidman

The addon switches to http streaming if the path to the file is not accessible due to incorrect path or path substitution or a permissions issue

Edited by Vidman

xnappo

(1)I have some kid shows and folders for tv recordings and I don't want them in the Emby library. Will there be any problems in adding these folders as a SMB source in Kodi and just watch them as files?

(2)When Emby sets the in progress tag for a half watched TV-show or movie, a popup appears for a second in the top of the screen. Can this be turned off?

(1)Yes, but do not tell it the content type, and do not have it try to add to library.

(2)What does it say?  Maybe Settings->Library->Hide progress of library updates

(1)Yes, but do not tell it the content type, and do not have it try to add to library.

(2)What does it say?  Maybe Settings->Library->Hide progress of library updates

It goes too fast to be able to read. Oh well, it's a minor issue.

I now have my movies and tv shows set up and need to set up my kids movies. Before I had 3 different smart playlists, one for tvshows, one for movies and one for kids movies. Since all movies are in the same library I need to distinguish between them via the smart playlists. Before I used Path to distinguish them, since tey are located on different disks and are easily recognizable by path. This doesn't seem to work with Emby as that uses links for the movie paths, like plugin://plugin.video.emby/movies/e73b874b2a727ab07cbe4e....0cf

So how do I distinguish them into separate smart playlists? I can see that the default Emby ones use Tags. Can I somehow set a tag for the kids library other than Movies? Or is there another way?

That's the plan, but how will I make a separate smart playlist only showing the kids movies? And another smart playlist only showing the other movies? How do I separate them when I can't do it with Path Contains in the playlists?

xnappo

Assuming you added them as separate collections on the server, you should see them separate under Video->Video Addons->Emby.

Just make main menu entry points to there.

Angelblue05

That's the plan, but how will I make a separate smart playlist only showing the kids movies? And another smart playlist only showing the other movies? How do I separate them when I can't do it with Path Contains in the playlists?

We use tags to separate your content. If you add a new movie library in emby named Kids Movies, then all the content from Kids movies would be tagged "Kids Movies" in Kodi.

Edited by Angelblue05

Cool, I'm nearly there!

If I only watch a few minutes of a movie I have noticed that Emby doesn't think the movie is in progress and asks me if I want to continue from where I left off. What are the settings for this? How much must have been seen before it doesn't just start over the next time?

Angelblue05

The minimum is 3 min. It can be adjusted in the emby dashboard > playback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Angelblue05

You will need to restart Kodi after changing that setting, so it reloads with the latest value.