No luck playing movies

legierk

Been using Media Browser 2.6 with Media Center Master and Shark007 for a long time with few or no problems. Saw their was a new version so gave it a shot. Installed MB3 server on my Win 8.1 (x64) server (12tb of movies) without a hitch. I set up the collections with the library path on my first try. More on that later.

Next I installed the Classic client version on my HTPC running Win 8.1 (x64). I am used to using WMC, so that's why I went with classic instead of the stand alone player. All installs went without a hitch. Media Browser within WMC started fine, loaded all movies, music, etc with no problems (but it took a little while with all the files).

Still using Shark007 I hit play on the first movie (.mkv Anchorman, but I'm sure that's irrelavent) I wanted to watch. Nothing. Later a Pop up Warning appeared saying something to the effect of "Couldn't play file. Will try to stream. Use UNC for path". I deleted all collections, created new ones using the UNC paths of the folders. I uninstalled the Shark codec packs and installed ffdshow (x64) like I read somewhere on here. I followed the guide on here to set up ffdshow for bitstreaming to my AVR.

Result? Same. Movies will not play. So......should I install the 32 bit ffdshow? I could not get the dxva (?) batch files to run the "register the files". Is that the problem?

The interface works fine. All metadata etc. is there. It also seemed quicker to load everything with the UNC paths in there. But the movies won't play. None of them. Where did I go wrong?

i would just get rid of ffdshow and install lav filters. it will probably work just fine using default settings.

but what you're seeing is identical behavior to mb2. Wmc controls playback, MBC only hands off the video file to it.

Thanks for the reply. I uninstalled everything and went back to MB 2.6.2 and Shark. Everything working perfect. I may give this a try again down the road. Wish there was a more thorough guide to setting up MBC on Win 8.1 x64. The possibilities with MB3 seem great, just wasn't able to experience it yet.

Not sure I understand, as Shark has always worked, except with MBC. FFDSHOW did not work with MBC also. At any rate, do you have a good link to the correct lav filters I can install and try? Thank you.

Not sure I understand, as Shark has always worked, except with MBC. FFDSHOW did not work with MBC also. At any rate, do you have a good link to the correct lav filters I can install and try? Thank you.

The steps I saw that you did:

• Installed MBC and tried to play and discovered you needed to use UNC paths
  • Then you re-created your collections with UNC paths but you also un-installed your codecs at the same time
  • Then you tried to play again and it didn't work again because you had changed the codecs

If you had not uninstalled Shark between those steps it should have worked fine.  At this point, you should be able to just uninstall MB2 and install MBC and it should work fine.  Although, I do recommend LAV over Shark - much simpler.