My users are being told to purchase something

strager

strager

I like how you make it seem you did all the hard work and "all Emby is doing is providing a framework" for you

I've invested more than 6,000 hours of development time into Emby alone between my two servers not to mention the countless hours working on the data collection itself. Yeah - I did all the hard work. I'm not discounting the (doubtless) insane work that went into Emby - I do appreciate it - but when it comes to my servers, no one gets to take credit for them but me. Not Microsoft which put a lot of work into Windows and IIS, not Emby who provides this framework, not oracle who put a lot of work into my database, and not Cox who put a lot of work into laying the wires in the ground that run to the server. 

strager

splitting it in half.and now you represent half the community?

maybe its just a poor choice of words on your behalf.... over and over and over

With all due respect, it's your reading/comprehension skills here..... Splitting something in two is not the same as splitting something in half.

Splitting the community in two would be bad for everyone and should only be an absolute last resort. All efforts (reasonable and otherwise) should be made to prevent that scenario.

Spaceboy

I've invested more than 6,000 hours of development time into Emby Plex alone between my two servers not to mention the countless hours working on the data collection itself. Yeah - I did all the hard work. I'm not discounting the (doubtless) insane work that went into Emby - I do appreciate it - but when it comes to my servers, no one gets to take credit for them but me. Not Microsoft which put a lot of work into Windows and IIS, not Emby who provides this framework, not oracle who put a lot of work into my database, and not Cox who put a lot of work into laying the wires in the ground that run to the server. 

i fixed it for you

Vidman

So in your opinion they don't deserve any credit(or compensation )? You seem to have a very selfish and narrow world view

Edited by Vidman

strager

So in your opinion they don't deserve any credit(or compensation )? You seem to have a very selfish and narrow world view

I said no such thing - in fact I said just the opposite numerous times above. I'd pay MORE - my issue isn't with them getting compensation. It's that after earning that compensation from me they are trying to earn even more compensation from my users without my consent and without me earning anything from it - if anyone should be able to profit from user it's the host of the server and Emby should get at most a small percentage of that ((and REALLY it should be baked into the price of subscriptions)). That being said in my case, I don't want my users to pay any money at all as they are family and there needs to be a way to opt our users out of paying entirely. 

At it's heart it's really a matter of who's users they actually are.

I'm arguing that this is my server, I'm paying for the bandwidth, electricity, OS licences, and the hardware.I paid Emby for a licence to use their software. I invested the time to write the CSS to give it a good skin, I invested the time to gather the content and create the Metadata. I invited the users to connect to the service running at my IP address. They are My users. 

You guys are arguing that despite the above the users are actually Emby's users and that Emby should be able to reach out to them and charge them additional money beyond the licence that we already paid. 

Edited by strager

mellomade

I haven't seen anyone here who's using it for commercial purposes. I have a large extended family - the point of the server I was working on was to create a centralized location where everyone (aunts, uncles, cousins) can post their videos etc. and the rest of the family (who are now spread across the country) can access them. Just because there are multiple people involved doesn't make an activity commercial. 

I've invested more than 6,000 hours of development time into Emby alone between my two servers not to mention the countless hours working on the data collection itself.

OK - I have to call bullshit on all this.  Who devotes nearly 3 years of full time dev work to their 'extended family'.  Unless by 'extended family' you mean your network of 'users' who 'share' content.  You have the licensing rights for all that 'sharing' too right?

I have to say - complaining about spending five bucks on an app is petty.  I've lost more $$ in the time it took me to read this stuff...

And you'll get absolutely no sympathy regarding your activities with Emby from this community.  It is shady uses like this that spoil OS projects like this from ever gaining mainstream support (see Kodi).

Blah....

• Like 1

strager

OK - I have to call bullshit on all this.  Who devotes nearly 3 years of full time dev work to their 'extended family'.  Unless by 'extended family' you mean your network of 'users' who 'share' content.  You have the licensing rights for all that 'sharing' too right?

I have to say - complaining about spending five bucks on an app is petty.  I've lost more $$ in the time it took me to read this stuff...

And you'll get absolutely no sympathy regarding your activities with Emby from this community.  It is shady uses like this that spoil OS projects like this from ever gaining mainstream support (see Kodi).

Blah....

I do - it's an entire repository of data going back 4 generations. Messages from my grandparents to my grandchildren, family recipes, pictures, videos, writings, and more. We are currently working on getting 3D scanned models and voice samples of everyone still around and eventually plan to create virtual (VR) "Avatars" of the older folks so we can "introduce" them to the younger generations long after they are gone. It's worth spending that time because it preserves our families history and makes it accessible to everyone. 

And if you had read any of what I wrote, this isn't about the $5. I'd be happy to pay an extra $500 in my subscription.... it's about who is paying that $5. 

Vidman

I said no such thing - in fact I said just the opposite numerous times above. I'd pay MORE - my issue isn't with them getting compensation. It's that after earning that compensation from me they are trying to earn even more compensation from my users without my consent and without me earning anything from it - if anyone should be able to profit from user it's the host of the server and Emby should get at most a small percentage of that ((and REALLY it should be baked into the price of subscriptions)). That being said in my case, I don't want my users to pay any money at all as they are family and there needs to be a way to opt our users out of paying entirely.

At it's heart it's really a matter of who's users they actually are.

I'm arguing that this is my server, I'm paying for the bandwidth, electricity, OS licences, and the hardware.I paid Emby for a licence to use their software. I invested the time to write the CSS to give it a good skin, I invested the time to gather the content and create the Metadata. I invited the users to connect to the service running at my IP address. They are My users.

You guys are arguing that despite the above the users are actually Emby's users and that Emby should be able to reach out to them and charge them additional money beyond the licence that we already paid.

By definition they are emby users. Who spent countless hours developing the apps they are using on their devices to access your server? Edited by Vidman

Spaceboy

I do - it's an entire repository of data going back 4 generations. Messages from my grandparents to my grandchildren, family recipes, pictures, videos, writings, and more. We are currently working on getting 3D scanned models and voice samples of everyone still around and eventually plan to create virtual (VR) "Avatars" of the older folks so we can "introduce" them to the younger generations long after they are gone. It's worth spending that time because it preserves our families history and makes it accessible to everyone. 

And if you had read any of what I wrote, this isn't about the $5. I'd be happy to pay an extra $500 in my subscription.... it's about who is paying that $5. 

well buy them an app store or google play gift card and post it to them. to me it sounds like you've agreed to charge these "users" access to your server and now you've just realised that they have to buy the app as well and perhaps that won't be received well by your "users"

Edited by Spaceboy
  • Like 3

I've invested more than 6,000 hours of development time into Emby alone between my two servers

Ok. This thread is becoming ridiculous guys.

@strager: Can you please share with us some example of your code contributions achievements? Maybe we are all enjoying your 6,000 hours of development without noticing. I'm not joking. Did you contribute free plugins? Code fixes? Features? Just name a few examples. Only then I may start to understand your anger.

Having said that you already set your position and request in the first posts continuing with this flamewar is useless to everyone.

Wait for the project leads to come back to you and do whatever you feel you need to do.

Just my two cents, again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Happy2Play

I don't know what you understand at commercial, or is my english really that bad? I have clearly said that me and my "users" (6 guys from work and one friend) are sharing the all payments for our dedicated media server, including the subscription. i don't think that this is the meaning of an commercial service, when friends share the costs of something ... i really like people that are to du** to read the full text @@Spaceboy :)

Anyway, i'm out of here. I reactivated my plex abo 2 hours ago and with plex home accounts all of my users get their apps without having to pay twice for it.

My Emby Premiere payment for may is canceled.

Have fun :)

So why can't all the guys from work and the friend stop by your place and register there app for free on your network?

@@strager

6000 hours = 250 days = 0.685 years

So, to understand this better, you spent the greater part of a year working on your servers continuously with no sleep, no breaks, staying awake for 250 days in a row? How is this possible? Are you a robot?

This seems like such a grandiose exaggeration. How exactly do you get to these numbers? Even if you spent 6 hours a day only, this means for 1,000 days consecutively you have been doing this? Emby hasnt been around that long. It was known as mediabrowser3 1,000 days ago. Before that it was mb2, and even before that it was video browser. So are part of these 6,000 hours spent on the "pre emby" days too?

I dont understand how someone can spend that amount of time and not be deriving some type of compensation for their effort and time. Sounds like your users have been getting a "free ride" and now there is a taxi meter running and this upsets you? People need compensation for the time and effort just as you do. This sounds like the pot calling the kettle black. Just because you work for free, doesnt mean others do, because that method of work is not sustainable. You cant keep it up without sacrifice. There is no reason to expect others to sacrifice their lives for your benefit. At least not for very long unless they are dedicated and it doesnt impact their lives.

Your claims of 6,000 hours is therefore ridiculous. You cant expect someone to believe these claims outright without some explanation of how these 6,000 hours were spent. What were you doing with those 6,000 hours? Was it really 600 hours and you just rounded it up to 6000 to look better? Do you count the time you sleep and dreaming about it as "work"?

Now I am just being silly, but then so are you. Put on your big boy pants, sit up straight, and try to put yourself in their place. Walk 1000 steps in their shoes and you can see why everything cannot be free just because you want it to be.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

Spaceboy

I don't know what you understand at commercial, or is my english really that bad? I have clearly said that me and my "users" (6 guys from work and one friend) are sharing the all payments for our dedicated media server, including the subscription. i don't think that this is the meaning of an commercial service, when friends share the costs of something ... i really like people that are to du** to read the full text @@Spaceboy :)

Anyway, i'm out of here. I reactivated my plex abo 2 hours ago and with plex home accounts all of my users get their apps without having to pay twice for it.

My Emby Premiere payment for may is canceled.

Have fun :)

or you don't like it when people can read through your thinly veiled attempts? i have to deal with liars like you every day at work, i guess you just become accustomed to spotting the tell tale signs.

missing you already

Redshirt

Sorry, when you can't go two lines without a smiley you lose the right to tell other people they're silly. It's just intellectual natural selection. 

Your obvious love of emby is shown in your repeated postings mymovies. If you'd had left as you've claimed then your rant would've had more of an impact. Now you are just making yourself look spoiled and entitled. Just play nice on the playground and try to stay true to your words.

He has just as much right to an opinion as you. If you leave, why then do you care what is said about you?

Sometimes it is better to remain silent and be assumed an idiot, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

So I am not choosing a side. You both have the freedom to act and behave however you choose. It is only when the conversation stops furthering the discussion, and starts to turn into some kind of pissing contest that it becomes ridiculous.

We have crossed the ridiculous line long ago. You are now more steps across it than the other guy. Even so far as to make a new username?

It isnt worth the kind of effort you are using to justify your point which was lost long ago when you said you were leaving.

Edited by speechles

solabc16

Evening

I was recently trying to understand why I was being prompted to purchase/unlock/restore, even though I have a subscription - and came across this thread.

Working around the world is an occupational hazard for me, so I recently decided to put my instance of Emby Server in the cloud to give me some more options.

So from what I understand, the behaviour is expected as the server is not seen as 'local'.

This is a use case that maybe hasn't been considered and something that can be given some thought in the future, perhaps when the implementation is next reviewed. In this scenario, there is only one user.

I have no issue making the additional one off purchase, as ultimately this helps support the Emby team, but understanding and sharing how users are making use of Emby can only be of benefit; so this is my use case.

Best

- James

• Like 1

Vidman

If it is only one user as you mention you can connect to your server as mentioned using emby connect using the same account as your subscription will also validate your device

Edited by Vidman

solabc16

Hi Vidman

As I have static IPs I hadn't really looked into Emby Connect, thanks for the suggestion.

I'd already unlocked the app on my iPhone, but just tried the above on my iPad and that worked perfectly.

Best

- James

• 2 months later...
jaybroni

@@strager

Right on man. I look at Emby purely as a media browser. A skin. At it's core level, its that and as we add features and development it becomes a premium platform. Fine I will pay if I want that (and I did, but mainly to support the project).

It burns me however when my skin starts asking my users for money.

Excuse me? It's my media, network and server hardware. And I thought it was my skin too. Why would my users get promoted to pay whether I have one or one hundred of them? As people connect to my server, regardless of their location in the world, the scalability taxes my resources, not emby's as far as I know. Why would the skin be able to single itself out as requiring financing?

Do you pay to be on the App Store?

I think Emby has gotten a bit too full of itself. It's a skin and shouldn't innovate itself into a grandiosity complex. If it does, then I think a fork with just th essentials is warranted. And one that doesn't "prompt" users to upgrade to premium either. I was pissed that that pop up ad to buy premium kept displaying repeatedly. Once or twice fine. But the fact it can't be disabled and just keeps on nagging is a blatant money grab. That's just strong arming. Think I'm exaggerating? We installed the skin on our server, through effort, etc. And then "surprise" popups to upgrade! It's totally counter to the open source philosophy. Say what you want, it is.

Vidman

Your issue is that you think of emby as just a skin.

How are your users prompted to pay? How are they connecting to your server?

Edited by Vidman

legallink

@@strager

Right on man. I look at Emby purely as a media browser. A skin. At it's core level, its that and as we add features and development it becomes a premium platform. Fine I will pay if I want that (and I did, but mainly to support the project).

It burns me however when my skin starts asking my users for money.

Excuse me? It's my media, network and server hardware. And I thought it was my skin too. Why would my users get promoted to pay whether I have one or one hundred of them? As people connect to my server, regardless of their location in the world, the scalability taxes my resources, not emby's as far as I know. Why would the skin be able to single itself out as requiring financing?

Do you pay to be on the App Store?

I think Emby has gotten a bit too full of itself. It's a skin and shouldn't innovate itself into a grandiosity complex. If it does, then I think a fork with just th essentials is warranted. And one that doesn't "prompt" users to upgrade to premium either. I was pissed that that pop up ad to buy premium kept displaying repeatedly. Once or twice fine. But the fact it can't be disabled and just keeps on nagging is a blatant money grab. That's just strong arming. Think I'm exaggerating? We installed the skin on our server, through effort, etc. And then "surprise" popups to upgrade! It's totally counter to the open source philosophy. Say what you want, it is

@@jaybroni Hmmmm....so I think you have to think as a whole the variety of ecosystems that "Emby" has to support for this supposed "skin" to work. 

Emby is a piece of software, and each app is a separate piece of software.  If you just look at Emby as a skin (which if I recall you modified heavily so that it would look appear a certain way for your users), then you should just direct your users to the web interface, which does not require an additional purchase, and that would be more or less "a skin" (even though I don't agree with that assessment, because all the functionality that is going on behind the scenes is much more than just a "skin" otherwise you could just buy it on Etsy!)

But you don't want a "skin", you want a native experience on different platforms.  You want behind the scenes data aggregation, management, user  profiles and preferences, aa variety of supported hardware and clients, transcoding for different resolutions and bandwidth, as well as presentation, with little configuration on your side, locally and remotely, and then you want some support, bug/fixes, updates, all on a machine with some files on it.  Well, it isn't intended that one $100 purchase is enough to support all of that, development on 10 different platforms for native experiences for an unlimited amount of users.  Every server like platform that I am aware of asks people to pay on a per user/client model.  Unless you want no support, which in that case, you roll Linux and hope it works.  Additionally, to say that as your userbase scales, there is no additional lift for the emby team, assumes that the number of people on the forums asking for support, or the number of different pieces/types of hardward does not increase based on the number of users does not increase, which is incorrect. 

Additionally, at it's core, it propels the argument the argument that software should not costing anything, which is an argument that has been made many times, and consistently shot down, because it is not sustainable, or the cost of the software would be so high, that a much smaller number of people would purchase it (see any professional server installations, etc.).  It is not intended for a $100 piece of software to be used by an unquantifiable user base, because the lower cost model is intended to distribute the cost of development among multiple users.  If you want a different usage pattern, maybe there is a way to pre-pay for additional users (you could always gift it to your remote users), or as it appears, some sort of commercial offering.  The notion has appeared, I think in previous posts, that you don't want "Emby" to show up anywhere, but want it to appear as if it is "yours".  If that is what you want, you can always create your own.  But anything else seems to be a bit misleading at best.

Right now, it's intended to be for a household, meaning people that live in the same house.  If that isn't your usage pattern, then you have to work with the company that produces the software and see if they want to support another usage pattern.