Emby Theater won't play H265

NWGiles

NWGiles

Hello

everything was working yesterday, i got up this morning and theater won't play anything in H265

All i get is the spinning circle, the files work on my phone and the web client just not theater

I have attached 2 logs files from 2 different htpc I have.

I noticed this appears in both

2016-03-09 09:40:08.5544 Error InternalDirectShowPlayer: Error adding LAV Video filter
A valid type has not been set for this stream or a stream that it depends on.

any ideas?
thanks

htpc.txt

htpc2.txt

NWGiles

I have installed the LAV filters and this now works, however I have never installed them before

babgvant

I think I might know why it's doing that. HEVC probably isn't included in the runtime config's "allowed" codec list.

• Like 2

NWGiles

I think I might know why it's doing that. HEVC probably isn't included in the runtime config's "allowed" codec list.

why would that have changed overnight though?

jordy

Yep, can confirm this. MKV files with HEVC encoding play sound only on v2.0.2.

EDIT: Audio is Ok but no HEVC Video with MadVR/Edge/Stable and just a spinning circle with EVR+/Edge/Stable

Edited by jordy

NWGiles

EDIT: Audio is Ok but no HEVC Video with MadVR/Edge/Stable and just a spinning circle with EVR+/Edge/Stable

I get this as well

flexkikr

Had a same problem yesterday, I ended up converting my HEVC movie to h264 and works fine now. This started happenning after installing the ETv2.

babgvant
    <HwaEnabledCodecs>
      <string>HEVC</string>
      <string>H264</string>
      <string>VC1</string>
      <string>MPEG2</string>
    </HwaEnabledCodecs>
    <EnabledCodecs>
      <string>HEVC</string>
      <string>H264</string>
    </EnabledCodecs>

Try adding HEVC to the EnabledCodecs (& optionally, if your HW can, to HwaEnabledCodecs) in directshowplayer.xml.

jordy

@babgavant, Adding "<string>HEVC</string>" to both codec lists enables HEVC video playback for both EVR+ and MadVR,

EVR+ plays fine whether Stable or Edge. However, MadVR plays the (16:9) video in 4:3 format (vertically stretched, black bars at sides) no matter Stable or Edge.

ET: 2.0.2

Surface Pro 3

Win10pro

Thanks

EDIT: I have an older Acer widescreen laptop which is also running Win 10pro with Intel HD graphics (same as my SP3 but earlier version) tests on this show that MadVR is the same as on the SP3; but EVR+ plays in letterbox mode - correct AR but black bars all round both Stable and Edge.

Cheers

Edited by jordy

puithove

I do have some HEVC scattered through my library so I ran into this too.  Yes, adding HEVC to the enabledcodecs in directshowplayer.xml made it play again.  So I decided to experiment - I deleted all the Emby folders under AppData, and re-installed.  This did NOT create a new directshowplayer.xml under the config folder - the only file there is the system.xml.  HEVC content works fine here.

Then I changed a couple settings under video and audio, which caused it to create the directshowplayer.xml - I looked and this new file includes HEVC in the enabledcodecs.  HEVC works fine here too.

babgvant

As you've discovered, the problem is with installs of ET before HEVC was added to the enabled CODECs list. Until we surface a way to configure this through the UI, I think it's best to disable this aspect of ET's configuration and make it use LAV's defaults.

I submitted a code change that does this earlier today.

julianb

Same problem here. I just tried to use HEVC to save some space and play it back with Emby Theater 2.0.2 and MADVR on a GTX 960, and it just spins. Hope this will be fixed soon :) 

jordy

@@julianb, check out post#11 in this thread. It works to get HEVC Playback happening.

Sent from my HUAWEI MT7-L09 using Tapatalk

jds828

I tested a 1080 & 4k x265 yesterday and they seemed to play well on the two systems below. Emby server lives on the i7.

i7 (4th Gen)

GTX970

16GB RAM

ET v2.0.5 (I think)

Surface Pro 4 i5/256/8GB

Edited by jds828

• 9 months later...