Building a media server with emby and QNAP TS-251 from the ground up

dnastro

dnastro

My primary use will be direct viewing of local blu ray and DVD rips (not transcoded) in my living room and bedroom (living room have a Bravia Android TV running the app and in bedroom it's the roku app on a streaming stick), did a ton of research and it seems like this would be the best setup for me.  The only question i have is what kind of limitations I would have to transcode for streaming remotely.  For me streaming is not a huge deal but once in a while i may want to watch on another device out of my house.

dnastro

Thank you, I'm excited to get started with emby! :)  They are all fullsize MKVs made with MakeMKV, been testing right now with my iMac connected via wifi and they all play locally fine.

If you use the mobile android app you'll have a pretty good chance of seeing video stream copy within the transcoded stream, which means, preserving original video while only transcoding the audio. The android app can handle a decent amount of formats so the only reason you'll generally see a full video transcode would be due to the bitrate being too high for the mobile connection. the desktop chrome browser and chromecast also can generally stream copy quite a bit and save on transcoding.

dnastro

That's encouraging, I am not banking on being able to stream, I want to maintain high bitrate MKVs for my home library anyway.

What bitrate did you rip these at?

The roku streaming stick should be able to directly stream these mkv on a local network just fine. As long as you have good wifi signal from roku to router. I am assume h264/ac3 bluray rip? The dvdrip if the same will play fine on the roku. It is the xvid/divx in avi the roku doesnt like. These need a container swap on the roku, the android app can direct play avi.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles

yea good call, forgot to mention roku can also direct stream mkv, in many cases.

AdrianW

What bitrate did you rip these at?

He says he used MakeMKV which would imply whatever the disc was originally encoded with (probably AVC + DTS-MA or TrueHD).

The dts should make use of the dts core on both android and roku, as long as the users setup supports dts. The truehd the roku would need to transcode to ac3. Not sure if the android app directly supports 7.1 (8 channel) audio except on the shield tv. The roku only supports 7.1 audio in eac3 using dd+.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles