Improve deinterlace detection

obrienmd

obrienmd

I have read that Emby server already deinterlaces on transcode if it detects interlaced content, but many of my recordings (example: AMC 1080i US West) from HDHomeRun are interlaced, and none seems to deinterlace on transcode to either Roku or the browser. Is deinterlacing supposed to be active on TV recordings? If not, is there something I can run to provide more data on these recordings?

• Like 1

denz

I am having the same issue what I noticed is using the web client it is reporting for every recording interlaced: no.

• 2 weeks later...
denz

Example of very deinterlaced content and this is how all SD channels look unwatchable at the moment in Emby Theater. When I check my recordings in web client they are all reported interlaced No.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=790E1B1B2A829D!9116&authkey=!AEC3vdVo5HaprtA&ithint=file%2cwtv

Thank you

Edited by denz

denz

Hi @@Luke, @@babgvant,

I noticed now with the new beta updates when I look at recorded tv in the web client that it is reporting for majority of recordings correctly interlaced:yes but I still see no difference in Emby Theater. I am using up to date emby theater I tried both stable and edge filters. I tried Madvr it is slightly better but but it is not even close to picture quality of WMC. EVR+ seems to produce the closes result in picture quality it is just that you see lines so it is not currently usable to watch anything unless it is progressive content.

I am noticing in task manager that when I play something wmplayer.exe unless this is from wmc being in background starts even though I am using Emby Theater. If I play a recording in wmplayer it displays perfectly.

I have attached a screenshot of emby compared to wmc as you can see emby is heavily interlaced at can be seen clearly on the face and the logo on the screen. If you need samples just let me know.

I guess it will all get done in good time.

Thank you

56f521ec8f976_Capture658.png

56f521d430f05_Capture28.png

Edited by denz

I don't really see what I would call interlacing in that example (may be there on movement though).  It just looks like a difference in the interpolation algorithms where ours is a lot "sharper" which, on the low resolution content, looks like lower resolution (blocking).

babgvant

It looks like WMC is doing a better job scaling the content than whatever (EVR+?) is being used for the 2nd screenshot. If it is EVR+, it is completely dependent on the quality of your GPU's HW VPP. If madVR is an option for your system, it should produce better results than WMC, but you will need to configure it to use the algorithm that best suits your viewing preferences.

What GPU are you using?

denz

Hi @@babgvant I have enabled madvr stable filters and found that my nvidia driver is so out of date I have updated it and madvr picture quality is so much better now it is closer to WMC. EVr+ is still the same not usable for non hd channels as ebr said EVR+ is so much sharper picture quality.  

I will do more testing once the losing focus bug gets sorted in Emby theater as now you have to use a mouse to restore focus. I did have a crash of emby theater that I had to restart the pc to use emby again if it happens again I will create a bug report. 

It is nvidia card gt 430 this is my dedicated wmc computer.

Thank you 

babgvant

430 is good enough for madvr. I like lanczos 3 tap for chroma and luma upscaling, but if you prefer a softer picture, I think bicubic would be better.

• Like 1