Emby Doesn't Start After Upgrade to 2.1.3

cdarney3

FrostByte

This may sound silly, but try a couple more times.  There is some issue with clients that it takes about 3 times to connect after a library scan is done on the server.  My experience is that it takes me 3 times after every scan, but after that it connects right away the first time.  @@CBers posted a link to the thread in another post.

CBers

It's a timeout issue on the server, failing to respond to requests in time.

It only seems to occur during or after a library scan.

Once you get connected, which could be 2 or 3 attempts, it should be fine until the next library scan on the server.

It has been much better recently, but it did occur once over the weekend.

• Like 1

cdarney3

Sorry it's taken so long to get back on this.  I haven't had the opportunity to work with it this week.  It still will not connect no matter what.  I guess I'll have to drop back a version or two to see if that fixes the problem.

• Like 1

FrostByte

What model TV do you have?

You could also try deleting the app and installing clean.  That helped another person with a similar problem.

Edited by FrostByte

• 2 weeks later...
bminovi

Same splash screen problem here. Emby v 2.1.3 on a UN46ES7500 (Firmware: 1059). Worked fine for a long time and then not so much. Tried the multiple attempts suggestion, delete & reinstall of app and finally factory reset. Nothing doing.

Edited by bminovi

FrostByte

I've started having the same on my one device, my F6500 HTS.  I can get in once after deleting the app and after entering the IP and logon information after reloading, but the next time I start the app it just stops at the splash screen.  I can try several times with no avail.  However, on my TV it starts right up fine.  I need to play around with it some more and try turning off auto-logon and see if that helps.

There was a new firmware update on my HTS recently, so it may be that also.  I don't usually use my HTS for this app (it's easier from my TV) so I can't say for sure when this started.

FrostByte

Ok, this is what works for me on my F6500W

1.  Delete app (gets rids of settings, etc)

2.  Reinstall app

3.  Start app and enter IP and logon

4.  When configuring settings leave "Default User" set to "False" and also at the very bottom change the option to NOT remember the password at logoff

5.  Logoff before exiting app when done

Then when restarting the app I always need to select my User.  If I tell it to remember the userid/password then it locks up at the splash screen every time.  This only happens on my HTS and not my F8000 TV with evokit.  This has been a recent development for me on my HTS and I'm not sure if it's the app or because of the new firmware that I loaded on my HTS, or something altogether different.

Edit: Going this route bypasses the splash screen each time, so guess it's something in there that is hanging things up (at least for me)

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1

Ultroman

If any of my systems have been rebooted, and Emby fails to connect, I always start by checking, that the IPs on my devices are set to what I expect them to be. Sometimes electronics make decisions on their own, especially routers.

Nikolaech

Last year, the routers worked much better. This year, the forum section "Emby Premiere" has become the most popular.

FrostByte

I really don't think it's a routing issue (at least in my case).  Without auto logon it works, with auto logon it never gets past the splash and I have to delete the app to get back in.  It does display the version number though, so it's getting that far.  The app has already gone past the IP server part at this point.  I may try setting a password on my account today and see if that changes things.  Right now the pw is blank

• Like 1

FrostByte

There is something there at the end.  I just can't tell what it's telling me.

http://pastebin.com/Pjwb05Uc

It definitely has something to do with "Forget password on log out" option.  If it's at True I'm fine.  As soon as it's set at False the app never gets past the splash if "Default User" is also set at True.  Just guessing the blank pw is giving it problems, but I never had to change this before.

Edit: Just tried setting a password and the blank pw wasn't affecting it.  Problem is still when both Default User = True and Forget Password = False are set then the app locks up at splash the next time I restart with no way in without deleting the app and reloading.  This only happens on my HTS though (TV is fine).   AND you have to log out before exiting.  Else you need to turn off Default User also. 

Hopefully the others who are locking up at the splash screen can confirm or deny this is the same thing they are seeing.

Edited by FrostByte

FrostByte

Unfortunately, there is no release to fall back on either since beta and stable have merged. 

Edited by FrostByte

cmcg

Well, you can fall back on the 1.x SD version. Give that a try. Make sure you uninstall rather than up/downgrade as the settings files are quite different.

cmcg

The log file looks like it starts logging in as the default user, calls some thumbnails and then causes the server to get upset. Can you try logging in with default user = false and changing your home screen items to something else? Set "Show continue watching" to false, change home screen 1 to Media Folders and home screen 2 to None. Then set default user = true and see if it logs in.

FrostByte

Well, you can fall back on the 1.x SD version. Give that a try. Make sure you uninstall rather than up/downgrade as the settings files are quite different.

Well, if you want me to :)  I only thought of falling back a few releases to figure out when exactly this started since I rarely use my HTS past installing the app.  I know that SD version was working.

The log file looks like it starts logging in as the default user, calls some thumbnails and then causes the server to get upset. Can you try logging in with default user = false and changing your home screen items to something else? Set "Show continue watching" to false, change home screen 1 to Media Folders and home screen 2 to None. Then set default user = true and see if it logs in.

Same result using those settings.  The only way I got it to work is to set "Forget Password" to True and then logout before exiting the app.  Otherwise I have to delete the app and reload to get back in

Edited by FrostByte
  • Like 1