Emby Theater Xbox One Web Version

jasonmcroy

jasonmcroy

Hi Luke,

I thought I would start a new thread about the web version instead of adding to the thread where you first mentioned it.

First of all - The video playback and audio look awesome! It is almost as good as the HTPC App. Great job on that one. Overall the App looks great.

Scrolling around performance seems jittery. As I move through my movies or TV Shows it's not very smooth. It also seems to take a long time for a page to load all the images. I am not sure if that is just a first time use thing and as it caches it will be faster on re-visit or not. I found this to be true as well when I went into the TV Guide page. It took about 15 seconds for the guide to populate.

Actual starting playback of Live TV or a movie takes about 10-15 seconds for playback to actually start.

One other item is that my I can't use the direction pad on my remote (harmony 650). Nothing happens. I have it set for the Xbox One setting in the Harmony software. The direction pad works fine everywhere else in the Xbox (Netflix, Amazon App, etc.). I think the remote uses the same functions as the D-pad on the controller so I am not sure why it won't work. I assume you're using that same function in the App. 

That is what I notice for now. I can play with it a bit more later. Heading out to see Deadpool again.  :D

jasonmcroy

Just a quick update since your update thread - scrolling is noticeably faster and jitter is much less now. My images pop up instantly now when going back into the App the second time.

It still takes a bit for the guide to populate but I guess it's newly pulling the data from the server and maybe that is it.

I will play around more later tonight and tomorrow.

jxwilliamson

I have been using Edge and the Xbox One almost exclusively since my PC cannot run the server and live tv in ET at the same time. I've been using my inteset remote programmed for Xbox One and when I first enter ET in Edge I get a message about not being able to use my remote. To get around this I've been hitting Menu and selecting enable caret browsing (you can also set this on Windows 10). 

A few questions/features.

1. Would it possible to add the ability to hit the stop button on live tv to stop the current playing channel and go back to the guide? Currently I try hitting back but it just goes to the previous web page in Edge.
  2. The ability to setup recordings

Thank you,

Jason

if you don't enable caret browsing the game controller works great, and you can use back to stop the video. i haven't really done as much testing with caret mode.

Deathsquirrel

Should we be able to connect if we aren't using emby connect?  I can enter the external URL of my server, which works fine on my laptop though the same ET web app but the xbox one won't connect to the server.

• Like 1

Should we be able to connect if we aren't using emby connect?  I can enter the external URL of my server, which works fine on my laptop though the same ET web app but the xbox one won't connect to the server.

i'll have to test but i would think it should be fine.

smithian

I'm trying to get tv.emby.media working on my xbox, but the game controller does nothing unless I enable caret control.  Am I missing a step?

no, it should work out of the box. once you navigate to the url there will be a message at the bottom saying that this app can be navigated with the game controller. Do you get a message saying that? Is your xbox system up to date?

smithian

It is up to date and I do get the message about using my controller.  But none of the controls work for some reason.  If I turn on the mouse control it works, and then I switch it back and nothing.  Anything I can provide for further troubleshooting?

Deathsquirrel

i'll have to test but i would think it should be fine.

Luke did you ever get a chance to check this?  I'm curious to try this function but since I can't login I'm not getting far.  The login screen loads nicely ;)

smithian

Okay, so after some testing I can more accurately describe the issue:

Navigation does work, with these restrictions:

Only the 'first' controller works to navigate the tv.emby.media app.  'First' in this case refers to whichever controller was activated first, or connected to the xbox first.  Other controllers that are connected will not control the app.

The sticks do not work to navigate, only the D-pad functions.

With these restrictions it is functional, but hardly ideal.  Any ideas how I can get it to work with any controller and enable the left-stick for navigation?

Thanks

Okay, so after some testing I can more accurately describe the issue:

Navigation does work, with these restrictions:

Only the 'first' controller works to navigate the tv.emby.media app.  'First' in this case refers to whichever controller was activated first, or connected to the xbox first.  Other controllers that are connected will not control the app.

The sticks do not work to navigate, only the D-pad functions.

With these restrictions it is functional, but hardly ideal.  Any ideas how I can get it to work with any controller and enable the left-stick for navigation?

Thanks

Yes both of those scenarios can be supported and in time I'm sure they will.

smithian

Okay, so this is expected behaviour at this point?

Wild you be open to a pull request if I wanted to take a crack at making that extra functionality work?

jasonmcroy

Luke, I was playing around with the App tonight and it's not handling resume states. If I start a show or movie, stop playback, exit the App and then go back into the show or movie it starts from the beginning.

I haven't tested about how it reports back to the server but I don't think it is reporting the played state for tv shows either. I can test that more tomorrow unless you already know about this.

Starlionblue

"We are unable to connect to the selected server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again."

I am having problems connecting. I have done the Emby Connect pin thing and I do see my server listed. But I get the error message when trying to connect. I have also tried manual connection with both DNS name and IP address. Same result.

Other clients work fine and DLNA to the XBox works.

Logs here.

Edited by Starlionblue

taugust

Hi - just want to test emby theater on my xbox one the first time, but I did not success staring it. 

- I can browse to tv.emby.media

- using emby connect - PIN is accepted, but not working (on xbox it will return to emby connect login windows)

- try to set server manually, but I am not able to put in an IP address with my xbox controller not sure if this is an user error

any starter tipps here ?

Edited by taugust

Hi - just want to test emby theater on my xbox one the first time, but I did not success staring it. 

- I can browse to tv.emby.media

- using emby connect - PIN is accepted, but not working (on xbox it will return to emby connect login windows)

- try to set server manuella, but I am nit able to put in an IP address with my xbox contrtoller - not sure if this is an user error

any starter tipps here ?

in the emby server dashboard have you linked your online emby account to one of your local server users? do that first.

or, for manual connection to pull up the xbox one on screen keyboard, you have to first switch control out of game control mode by clicking the menu button and selection the option to switch to caret control (don't recall exactly what it's called). then clicking on a text field will pull up the keyboard. when you're done, you'll want to switch back to game controller mode.

taugust

normally emby connect is working fine...

With your tip I was able to type the server address manually and was able to connect -> at least the first step

Now I must put in the given password for the user - and also changing the control I cannot type in a password and emby tries to connect with and empty password which won't work for me...

very strange...