Getting the CoverArt Plugin Working

solabc16

So ImageMagick from Package Center does not work? it has to be this custom version?

solabc16

Evening

I just re-read back through my notes, here's the summary:-

1) ImageMagickSharp.dll.config in the release is looking for a Q8 build, the PackageCenter version is a Q16 build, so this needs to be changed to get anything working 'out of the box'.

2) With Emby Server configured for the Q16 version, CoverArt works in the WebUI but is sluggish (assumed to be due to Q16 build and http server concurrency limit, discussed above) and does not work at all in ET.

3) The build I've posted is a Q8 build and the performance in the WebUI is much better (assume the Q8  build is the reason) and CoverArt now works fully in ET.

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16
  • Like 1

What are the "for dummies" instructions? How do you install ImageMagick using that gz file? Thanks!

• Like 1

solabc16

Evening

Here we go...

- SSH to your Synology NAS as 'root'.

- You should be in /root, check with 'pwd'.

- Download the binaries using 'wget https://www.dropbox.com/s/jpd4dog9xxpn5ng/imagemagick-6.9.3-7_Q8.tar.gz'.

- Backup the currently installed version 'mv /volume1/@appstore/imagemagick /volume1/@appstore/_pkgcenter_imagemagick'.

- Extract the files from the archive 'tar -xvf imagemagick-6.9.3-7_Q8.tar.gz -C /volume1/@appstore/'.

- Restart Emby Server.

- Check the logs and you should see something similar to:-

2016-04-24 12:40:29.9244 Info ImageMagick: ImageMagick version: ImageMagick 6.9.3-7 Q8 x86_64 2016-03-19 http://www.imagemagick.org
    2016-04-24 12:40:30.1040 Info ImageProcessor: ImageProcessor started with 4 max concurrent image processes

Best

- James

Edited by solabc16
  • Like 2

Evening

Here we go...

- Download the binaries using 'wget https://www.dropbox.com/s/jpd4dog9xxpn5ng/imagemagick-6.9.3-7_Q8.tar.gz'.

- Backup the currently installed version 'mv /volume1/@appstore/imagemagick /volume1/@appstore/_pkgcenter_imagemagick'.

- Extract the files from the archive 'tar -xvf imagemagick-6.9.3-7_Q8.tar.gz -C /volume1/@appstore/'.

- Restart Emby Server.

2016-04-24 12:40:29.9244 Info ImageMagick: ImageMagick version: ImageMagick 6.9.3-7 Q8 x86_64 2016-03-19 http://www.imagemagick.org

2016-04-24 12:40:30.1040 Info ImageProcessor: ImageProcessor started with 4 max concurrent image processes

Best

- James

So this assumes the user has already installed ImageMagick from AppStore? What if they haven't?

solabc16

Evening

Yes, that is the basis on which I worked on providing an updated set of binaries. As the Emby Synology package has ImageMagick defined as a dependency, it needs to be installed in order to install the baseline version of Emby.

e.g. this is what happens if you try to uninstall ImageMagick with Emby installed (stopped or not):-

57211663be988_imagemagick_dependency.png

Unfortunately, I don't have a spare Synology unit available to investigate any options around this. Given that we can specify the path to the ImageMagick binaries in ImageMagickSharp.dll.config, then theoretically this could just be placed under the Emby installation directory and referenced.

Just to reiterate from my notes above, this set of binaries is for Intel x86_64 based devices. I'll keep an eye out on the forum for anybody having any issues, and feel free to direct any related queries you come across to me.

Best

- James

Pirlo1966

Evening

Here we go...

- Restart Emby Server.

Best

- James

Hi James

Thanks for this. I followed it step-by-step on my NAS 1815+ (Intel Atom C2538 64 bit). Unfortunately. not working in my set-up. I see cover art being apllied to covers but then soon it starts to hang and no art shows up. 

solabc16

Hi ehgeahrev

If you could you reply with a server log that includes the initial server startup, I'll take a look.

What client application did you see this happening in?

- James

solabc16

Evening

Which version of DSM are you running? (more for reference, I don't suspect this will be the issue)

I see this in the logs...

2016-04-29 00:36:03.7467 Error App: Error loading ImageMagick. Will revert to GDI.

2016-04-29 00:36:18.1625 Error CoverArt: ImageMagick unavailable. CoverArt requires ImageMagick

...so I wouldn't be expecting much from the CoverArt plugin at this point.

Can you attach or post the contents of the file: /volume1/@appstore/emby/share/emby/ImageMagickSharp.dll.config

- James

Pirlo1966

DSM 6+

<configuration>
  <dllmap dll="CORE_RL_Wand_.dll" target="libMagickWand-6.Q8.so" os="linux"/>
  <dllmap dll="CORE_RL_Wand_.dll" target="libMagickWand-6.so" os="freebsd,openbsd,netbsd"/>
  <dllmap dll="CORE_RL_Wand_.dll" target="./MediaInfo/osx/libmediainfo.dylib" os="osx"/>
</configuration>

solabc16

Ok, thanks, let's make sure that ImageMagick is actually working on it's own.

Can you run the following and reply with the output from these commands:-

cd /volume1/@appstore/imagemagick/bin
./identify -version
./identify -list configure

Also, can you reply with the output of the following:-

find / -name "libMagickWand-6.Q8.so"

- James

Pirlo1966

Sorry about the delay. Was not sure how to run these commands. Did the following: opened putty. authenticated as admin and copy pasted the commands. I get permission denied answers.

One of these things with DSM 6+. Limited rights...

solabc16

No worries, we'll get to the bottom of it. I've just found a Synology box to put DSM6 on, which will make troubleshooting a little easier.

It's good to see Synology are following one of the best practices we'd normally advocate for *nix systems, so it's a good thing.

Were you running DSM6 when you first installed the updated binaries? Reason for asking, is that I wrote the instructions for DSM5.

Regarding the above commands, please try the following for DSM6...

- SSH to the Synology box and login using the admin username/password.
- Once logged in, run 'sudo -i' then enter your root password. (usually the same as admin)
- Run: cd /volume1/@appstore/imagemagick/bin
- Run: ./identify -version
- Run: ./identify -list configure
- Run: find / -name "libMagickWand-6.Q8.so"

e.g.

572754bc0b041_DSM6_instr1.png

- James

Edited by solabc16

Pirlo1966

Yes, I think I was already running DSM 6. Not 100% sure though.

Followed your new instructions. Again a few permissions denied.

Need to say that I had to revert back to previous imagemagick otherwise emby server wouldn't start because of dependency of imagemagick

5727ae3083f93_Knipsel.jpg

Edited by ehgeahrev

solabc16

Now that is curious, especially as you are now running as root, which would suggest a permissions issue.

Can you run the following as root and post the output, with the updated binaries in place...

ls -l /volume1/@appstore/
ls -l /volume1/@appstore/imagemagick

I'm surprised that Emby is not starting in that scenario, as it's not a hard dependency; I suspect that the 'enhanced' dependency checker in DSM6 is at work here.

If ImageMagick exists but cannot be loaded, you would just expect to see the following in the Emby log:-

2016-03-05 10:54:20.5555 Error App: Error loading ImageMagick. Will revert to GDI.
2016-03-05 10:54:20.5732 Error App: Error loading GDI. Will revert to NullImageEncoder.
2016-03-05 10:54:36.5248 Error CoverArt: ImageMagick unavailable. CoverArt requires ImageMagick

- James

Pirlo1966

5727ce2c75973_Knipsel.jpg

In server log iI find:

2016-05-03 00:01:51.5196 Info ImageMagick: ImageMagick version: ImageMagick 6.9.1-9 Q8 x86_64 2016-03-07 

2016-05-03 00:02:05.9300 Info CoverArt: ImageMagick version: ImageMagick 6.9.1-9 Q8 x86_64 2016-03-07 

When I go to emby web app I see coverart being aplied onto movie art . But then it goes wrong when going from one media folder to another 

Edited by ehgeahrev

solabc16

Ok, that gives us some insight into the problem. The version we are expecting to see is ImageMagick 6.9.3-7 Q8 x86_64 2016-03-19, not ImageMagick 6.9.1-9 Q8 x86_64 2016-03-07.

The issue you are describing with it 'going wrong', is one of the known issues with the default package which this updated set of binaries is intended to fix.

Looking at the directory listing above, there appears to be an imagemagick directory under /volume1/@appstore/imagemagick/. What you should have is:-

root@JFK:/# ls -l /volume1/@appstore/imagemagick/
total 20
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Mar 19 18:34 bin
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Mar 19 18:34 etc
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Mar 19 18:35 include
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Mar 19 18:35 lib
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 Mar 19 18:35 share

Here are the instructions I posted previously, revised for DSM6 (i.e. the login). Can you try these again and let me know your result, I've run through them here successfully on a test system:-

DSM6 Instructions

- SSH to your Synology NAS and login as 'admin'.
- Switch to root, by executing 'sudo -i'. (if prompted for a password, this will typically be the same as admin)
- Restart Emby Server.

If the log file still does not show that Emby is loading the expected version, we can define the location of the library Emby should be using explicitly by editing ImageMagickSharp.dll.config.

root@JFK:~# cat /volume1/@appstore/emby/share/emby/ImageMagickSharp.dll.config
<configuration>
  <dllmap dll="CORE_RL_Wand_.dll" target="/volume1/@appstore/imagemagick/lib/libMagickWand-6.Q8.so" os="linux"/>
  <dllmap dll="CORE_RL_Wand_.dll" target="libMagickWand-6.so" os="freebsd,openbsd,netbsd"/>
  <dllmap dll="CORE_RL_Wand_.dll" target="./MediaInfo/osx/libmediainfo.dylib" os="osx"/>
</configuration>

- James

Edited by solabc16

Pirlo1966

Thank you so much for your help and patience. Followed step by step and now log says:

2016-05-03 08:28:38.1201 Info ImageMagick: ImageMagick version: ImageMagick 6.9.3-7 Q8 x86_64 2016-03-19 http://www.imagemagick.org
2016-05-03 08:28:38.4080 Info ImageProcessor: ImageProcessor started with 4 max concurrent image processes

But stil, I see coverart being applied in web app but when switching to another media folder the whole thing kind of "freezes". Could that be because of my media library size? 

solabc16

Evening

That's a good step forward, well done on getting the updated package installed.

I have noticed that on the first few times navigating around the UI it can be a little slow as it generates the images, but eventually these get cached and the UI is then reasonably responsive.

In which part of the webapp are you seeing CoverArt applied and what folder are you switching to when it "freezes".

Any more details and/or screenshots would help understand what you are seeing/your setup.

Here's some examples from the WebUI on the DS1815+ platform I have here...

5729151c52521_webapp_coverart1.png

5729153bd5764_webapp_coverart2.png

- James