HDhome transcoding

mc2000

mc2000

Hi All,

I purchased the HDhomerun extend product for use with Emby for live TV to get away from transcoding issues and a few other benefits.  When I select a show from the guide and watch it the emby server fires ffmpeg and starts transcoding.  Is this normal behavior?  I am using Version 3.0.5882.0 and the web client or the Fire TV client.

Thanks

mellomade

Most broadcast signal (in the US at least) is MPEG2 with AC3 audio.  While you can select h.264 as your video transcoder on the EXTEND which should allow Emby Server to avoid video transcoding - you will still have to transcode the AC3 audio track.

The web client will always transcode - no way around that.  The FireTV should handle the AC3 audio track without needing to transcode - but I am not sure if that is in the release version or the beta versions.  MIght want to check in the Android forum for help with that.

The FireTV should handle the AC3 audio track without needing to transcode - but I am not sure if that is in the release version or the beta versions.  MIght want to check in the Android forum for help with that.

Actually, Android TV (Google devices) can handle the AC3 stream without transcoding but not the Fire at this point.