Asustor AS3104T? Shopping advice needed please

THX1139

THX1139

I've spent almost five months now digitizing my movie collection. Just a few titles to go now.

In the process I did tests on how to get everything set up in my Kodi library. This was before I heard of Emby for the first time, a few days ago.

It has been frustrating and expensive process. Not to bore you with all the fine details but my media PC died and from there things have gone constantly wrong. I have spent nearly $1000 on other solutions that either didn't work well enough or that I now cannot use, such as the three 3TB USB drives to hold all my media. No good on the Nvidia Shield I got the other day.

Well, so I'm homing in on maybe Emby running off an Asustor AS3104T NAS. But I am insecure. I need something that is easy to set up. Although this site doesn't list that NAS as compatible, the Asustor page does. (AS31 it says, which I assume is the same?)

This is one of the uncertainties that make me... uncertain. Also there is no Asustor forum in the NAS section here. I worry. I cannot find any other verified compatible NAS where I live. There is Synology but at this point I want something that is easy for me to set up.

I don't really need to transcode much of everything. The NAS will be wired with an ethernet cable into the Shield, which will be running the latest Kodi with the Emby addon.

Will this work? Can Emby read my poster artwork from the folders and download the missing ones? Can I set everything up on my Mac now and then migrate it to the NAS in a weeks time? All advice welcome! :)

Asustor is a great choice. They have an emby installation in their app catalog that you can install with one easy click

• Like 1

THX1139

Asustor is a great choice. They have an emby installation in their app catalog that you can install with one easy click

Well that sounds great! I can go ahead and order that unit then. Thanks for the feedback!

As for Emby setup I'm uncertain about what is the best way to go: wait until all the files are copied nto my new NAS or start now from my Mac. I won't get the NAS for about ten days so if it's possibly to move the library without messing everything up, I would like to start sorting out things now. Finding the right artwork and so on.

As long as Emby Server can access the files I'm not really sure it will matter which device they're on.

• 1 month later...
Arniceous

late to thread wanted to comment however;

Running Asustor 604T a 4 Bay unit 3 yrs old.

Emby was added to NAS package several builds back on platform ADM 2.4 -- ADM 2.6 - Present

I'm using that combo to access NAS via two Roku units at two locations in my home. Every other location picks it up with Asustor UPnP2 via Smart devices through DLNA.

Emby seems to sync a tad slow with 24TB  etc... but eventually will complete. I recommend adding folder locations as well. So Example Volume1 Movies1 Volume2 Movies 2 Volume3 Movies4 Volume4 Movies4 Volume1 Music1 etc,,, if you created your folder structure as I did. The important thing is to add by folder not just by movie for Emby seems to have its own methods of categorization so finding content quick and easy will always work when viewing by folder. Similar to Chaneru which also works on Roku/Asustor combos.

Good luck with ADM