Direct Playback & Advanced Video Options

MB Rich

MB Rich

Long time supporter and user (back from MB2 IIRC?) but only just starting to think about the move from WMC to Theater (thanks to the good looking new version) but I'm having a few problems:

1. Everything I play through Theater is coming through transcoding and the quality is definitely taking a hit.  Emby server is running on the same PC as the client and all the media is on a local NAS.  Emby for WMC plays everything directly so I'm not sure why Theater is transcoding instead?
  2. With Emby for WMC, I've been using MPC-HC and have the refresh rate auto-changer set up.  I thought Theater had this feature somewhere but I can't see anything in the settings, have I missed something?
  3. Where are the options for MadVR etc?
  4. How about choosing subtitles when playing video back?

Many thanks!

Hi, the settings for madvr and the video player are behind the user icon in the top right. click the the user icon -> settings. Do you see them there?

MB Rich

No, which is bizarre as I'm sure I've seen them there in an older version of theatre.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

If they're not there then it means windows dwm (aero) has been disabled and that needs to be resolved first

MB Rich

Ah, interesting.

I definitely have disabled Aero.  I did it years ago so I'm a bit hazy on the reasoning but I'm sure I had some issues whereby the 24p refresh rate basically slowed playback to a slideshow (literally 1-2fps) and disabling Aero brought it back to normal.

Would I also get all the options for refresh rate handling too? (away from that PC for a while so I can't check just yet)

What about options for displaying subtitles etc?

MB Rich

...oh and what about the transcoding?  Why won't it play directly when the WMC client does so without any issues?

The only way to get the native windows player is to ensure DWM (Aero) is running. Without that it's using the chromium video player which is not quite as robust.

MB Rich

Perfect, this has fixed all of the problems I listed!  With Aero enabled it's now playing directly, at the correct refresh rate, with MadVR settings available and subtitles working too!

Many thanks!