MBT V2 Live TV handling

ronvp

ronvp

The latest MBT (v2) is by far the best Emby player released sofar!!

but.. :ph34r: ​  still love to see live TV getting some improvements.. and while I appreciate the effort to only use 6 buttons, Live TV becomes very clumsy that way.

1 - When starting, have a startup option to go straight to the last playing live TV channel

2 - Have better MCE remote integration (Guide button, Channel up down button, Info button, Live TV,  etc..)

3 - When browsing in the guide, I would love for the select button to immediately go play the selected channel. as opposed to going to the detailed view first. Right now, the Play button wil do it but it is not intuitive.

4 - Bring up a mini guide when I hit cursor up/down button. Keep TV playing..

5 - Guide be more responsive, it takes to long for it to show.

6 - Do not show "NEW" in front of any guide items...

7 - When selecting Live TV, actually take me to Live TV (the last selected channel) and not to a sub screen. (Maybe have recordings  as a separate high level item)

8 - Have upcoming movies/programs not show things twice. Right now, when a movie or program is listed in both the SD and HD channel, it shows up twice.

9 - Anything that can be done to make channel surfing faster.

10 - Series recording..

11 - Respond to record button while in live TV and (similar to MCE), when pressing record again, do series recording and then again to cancel

12 - After hitting pause, there is currently no way to get back to actual real time live TV. Have to stop and restart the channel (WMC has live TV button option)

13 - Guide configuration to do color by program group (Sports = Blue, Movies Green, News Yellow, etc..)

Edited by ronvp
  • Like 2

3 - When browsing in the guide, I would love for the select button to immediately go play the selected channel. as opposed to going to the detailed view first. Right now, the Play button wil do it but it is not intuitive.

Hitting "Play" to play the channel is not intuitive...? ;)

How would you propose bringing up details on the show if select plays it?

ronvp

Hitting "Play" to play the channel is not intuitive...? ;)

How would you propose bringing up details on the show if select plays it?

No it is not intuitive to me.

Bring up details via the Info button. When watching TV, I rarely care about any details, I just like for the channel to play.  All we need is a option so people can select a preference..

Remember that all controls are designed around the 6-button goal, so the info button is treated as a bonus, but not assumed to be available.

epayson85

ebr - didn't realize you could hit play on the guide so thats awesome! takes care of that issue for me

I can understand the 6 button goal on the other apps... but emby theater isn't being used on a 6 button remote.  Its being used on a PC which most likely has a media center remote or very expensive / capable logitech remote.  I have to agree with most of the things that ronvp is saying because lets face it... WMC has the absolute best live tv experience out there and thats where he is pulling this from.  Its literally the only thing keeping me from leaving WMC all together. (that and I think emby for wmc is the best app you guys have)

For me thought the top 3 things are 

Mini guide

being able to easily record series

and faster way to access channels on guide.  (wmc being able to press #'s to quickly scroll through the guide is key)

I do have to say though I was very surprised today to see the guide working in theater.  I am always checking on my test PC to see how the app is coming along.  Very well done.  I was afraid the guide would be more like the Web / apps where you need to "go to next 100 channels".  Its coming along nicely and hopefully we will see more improvements.

Guest asrequested

I prefer using my track ball to select. Is there any chance that the show will highlight with the mouse cursor above the it. And I don't have a remote but I have a multimedia keyboard. The play button does nothing in the guide. Is this something that will be coming, or is it purely for remotes?

ronvp

Remember that all controls are designed around the 6-button goal, so the info button is treated as a bonus, but not assumed to be available.

That is a good goal, but with TV, we really need to be able to hit the guide, Live TV (or other way to get back to current live tv after hitting the pause button)  and Record buttons. Also, for Select vs Play button. Why not do what WMC does?. they show the info below the guide. no need to have another screen at all.  May it can be done with a onscreen submenu. (Down arrow for mini guide. Up for sub menu??)

iam4uk

I agree that the 6-button interface is not useful. Play, Record, Stop, Guide, FFwd, Rew, Skip (forward and backward)... those are functions that greatly enhance the TV watching experience, and those are why WMC is the TV interface standard for HTPC. Given that Emby Theatre now has a guide and the ability to use CableCARD for TV, there is a real possibility Emby Theatre can become the WMC replacement. But not with its current TV implementation.

Great work thus far, and I am so pleased to support you via Premiere.

• Like 1

epayson85

So after seeing Luke's posts on the 5th I can at least understand the want / desire to go with the 6 button remote. The fact that everything is moving to this interface and its all done via HTML is unreal! I still am going to fight tooth and nail that the theater version get more remote support hahaha but I can appreciate your logic. I just tried the new web interface... Just awesome!

• Like 1

jds828

I quite like the 6 button idea 

It works very well in Emby and Kodi on Android TV with the Nvidia Shield remote. Maybe your info/sub menu button could be mapped to a press and hold on the OK button. In Kodi Jarvis, holding the OK button brings up the context menu.

ronvp

I really do not see it..6 buttons as a goal really does nothing to enhance logic or interface. Since ET connect is really not working on a tv.. (great for a tablet maybe)  the windows HTPC is really the best choice.. having more buttons just makes more sense.. and does not require so much visible messing around on the TV..

Deathsquirrel

6 buttons is an excellent goal as long as keyboard commands exist for more advanced functions so I can use a programmable remote or event ghost-style solution...which I believe is the case.

• Like 1

It just makes it easier for anyone to pick up and use without having to have things explained to them.

Let me clarify one thing - the 6 button goal does not mean we can't take advantage of extra buttons as shortcuts, yes, of course we can and should do that. It just means that all functions need to also be accessible with only the basics. For example, having an important function that is only available via the info button is not something that I would want to do, because then it won't work when there is no info button. You have to be able to get to it using basic directions and ok/back.

• Like 1

ronvp

I know a lot of effort is going into this player but II really hope we are going to do something about the guide and general TV usage. I cannot even bring up the guide from the remote unless I use the back button. The current TV interface is completely unintuitive and not workable.

As a minimum, Please give us;  Channel up down buttons , Guide access while watching TV, Record button, and real live TV button.. (Without having to result to EventGhost or other scripting tools)

Latchmor

I know a lot of effort is going into this player but II really hope we are going to do something about the guide and general TV usage. I cannot even bring up the guide from the remote unless I use the back button. The current TV interface is completely unintuitive and not workable.

As a minimum, Please give us;  Channel up down buttons , Guide access while watching TV, Record button, and real live TV button.. (Without having to result to EventGhost or other scripting tools)

It WILL get better. I have spoken to Luke about Live TV and how WMC handles certain functions as I'm keen to get the same things you mention and he does have plans. Don't ask me for an ETA as I didn't ask Luke  :P

Remember, you only started this thread a week ago, I guess we're all too used to fixes/changes appearing so quickly!

Cheers

fuzzthekingoftrees

I can understand the 6 button goal on the other apps... but emby theater isn't being used on a 6 button remote.  Its being used on a PC which most likely has a media center remote or very expensive / capable logitech remote.  I have to agree with most of the things that ronvp is saying because lets face it... WMC has the absolute best live tv experience out there and thats where he is pulling this from.  Its literally the only thing keeping me from leaving WMC all together. (that and I think emby for wmc is the best app you guys have)

I have to agree with this. The 6 button remote thing only makes sense if you have a 6 button remote.

If I give somebody a remote with buttons for fast forward, skip, guide, menu etc. that person will expect those buttons to perform the indicated functions. When it comes to live TV the human race have around 30 years of experience of remote controls all of which have channel +/-.

If this app is going to be laboured with the dumbed down 6 button control interface, then I don't see what purpose it serves. I can use the android TV/fire TV app which are much more mature and the hardware required to run them is significantly cheaper. The team have obviously put a lot of work into the new theatre app but if it's there to serve the sort of person who will buy a whole Windows PC to run their TV rather than a £30-60 android box then supporting proper remote controls has to be one of the design goals.

Latchmor

I have to agree with this. The 6 button remote thing only makes sense if you have a 6 button remote.

If I give somebody a remote with buttons for fast forward, skip, guide, menu etc. that person will expect those buttons to perform the indicated functions. When it comes to live TV the human race have around 30 years of experience of remote controls all of which have channel +/-.

If this app is going to be laboured with the dumbed down 6 button control interface, then I don't see what purpose it serves. I can use the android TV/fire TV app which are much more mature and the hardware required to run them is significantly cheaper. The team have obviously put a lot of work into the new theatre app but if it's there to serve the sort of person who will buy a whole Windows PC to run their TV rather than a £30-60 android box then supporting proper remote controls has to be one of the design goals.

It just makes it easier for anyone to pick up and use without having to have things explained to them.

Let me clarify one thing - the 6 button goal does not mean we can't take advantage of extra buttons as shortcuts, yes, of course we can and should do that. It just means that all functions need to also be accessible with only the basics. For example, having an important function that is only available via the info button is not something that I would want to do, because then it won't work when there is no info button. You have to be able to get to it using basic directions and ok/back.

fuzzthekingoftrees

Let me clarify one thing - the 6 button goal does not mean we can't take advantage of extra buttons as shortcuts, yes, of course we can and should do that.

My point is that I think that the 6 button goal itself is wrong. I think it's an unnecessary limiting of the UI for the theatre app and will only fuel confusion for anyone that uses it.

Lets take a basic PVR function, record the current programme. Anybody that's ever used a PVR, or a VCR or any kind of recording device knows that the way you do this is by pressing the record button, but when this feature is implemented in theatre the primary method for accessing it will probably involve pressing up to bring up the on screen display then right or left arrows to scroll to a record key then OK. The 6 button control works fine for playback of a media library but it just doesn't work for PVR.

It doesn't make it easier if your remote has 20 buttons and only 6 of them work and those 6 buttons don't do the things you expect.

We've had an EPG on our TVs for nearly 20 years, in all of that time click the OK/Select button on a programme in the TV guide for the current time period makes the TV tune to that programme. Mapping that option to the play button doesn't make it easier for anyone to pick up and use.

Latchmor

Can you not see this part of the sentence - of course we can and should do that

I agree with a lot of what you are saying and yes your example of the long winded way of recording a current programme would be annoying but can't you see that Luke is basically saying if you have a remote with a record button that will work too so you won't have to use the long way  :)

• Like 1