AndroidTV 1.1.55g no audio

kefler
Go to solution Solved by kefler,

kefler

Been out of the loop, also not in beta program.  Nexus Player auto updated to 1.1.55g last night and now no audio from any shows.  Noticed compatible/direct option in settings, neither seems to work.  Everything had been working before.  My Nexus Player HDMI goes through a Denon X2000 reciever before going to the TV.  Audio comes from the reciever always.   

Anyone else see this issue?

CBers

What type of videos have you been trying to play?

What audio do they contain?

kefler

haha oh I guess I am still in the beta program.    I just grabbed .57 (was alraedy ready tonight).   'Direct' Mode still no audio.  'Compatibility' Mode works but it is just stereo.   

Prior to .55 I was getting multi-channel PCM, so I think the server was decoding.  The video files are all 720p MKV's with DD.  I tried several, all which worked prior to .55.

Thanks. 

haha oh I guess I am still in the beta program.    I just grabbed .57 (was alraedy ready tonight).   'Direct' Mode still no audio.  'Compatibility' Mode works but it is just stereo.   

Prior to .55 I was getting multi-channel PCM, so I think the server was decoding.  The video files are all 720p MKV's with DD.  I tried several, all which worked prior to .55.

Thanks. 

Yes, compatible mode forces stereo.  That's what that option is for.

So your setup can handle multi-channel PCM but NOT actual DD streams.  Can you detail exactly what hardware is involved?

kefler

Yes, compatible mode forces stereo.  That's what that option is for.

So your setup can handle multi-channel PCM but NOT actual DD streams.  Can you detail exactly what hardware is involved?

Hardware Setup:

Nexus Player --> HDMI --> AVR X2000 (Denon) --> HDMI --> Samsung UN55H6350

It most definitely can handle DD, and previously when using the VLC player that is what it did for audio.   But with transcoding, for some reason it would always transcode DD to multi PCM which was fine by me as I have a 4790k running the Emby server.     I am on .58 now and same behavior.  I also tried a video file that only has Stereo (shows 'STEREO' in the info) and it also has silence unless I turn on compatibility mode.

At this point I should probably check my version of emby server, I guess.. been behind on updating these things.  will do that next.

Edit:  now on emby-server-3.0.5879-773.1  and behavior is the same.

Edited by kefler

andi_s

Hello,

I am also using EMBY for Android TV and have also problems with audio. Not on all files, but on several ones. Problems are:
- no audio at all
- switching between different audio tracks does not work although the audio tracks are shown and available to choose one

I have EMBY server on Windows using actual version and also tried actual beta version (3.0.5897.0).

The Android TV app I am using on a Philips Philips 40PUK6400/12. But I also tried it on a HP Android tablet and got the same results.

I attach a log file that was written while I was trying to play a movie which had no sound.

When I play the media files with MXPlayer on the same devices everything works correct.
Would probably also be an option to enable the option to choose an external player like in the standard Android version.

Can you please help to solve the problem.

update:

the version of the Android TV app is 1.1.46g

I tried both the audio options "direct" and "compatible" but neither worked.

The missing audio occurs when the file is plyed directly without transcoding.

When I lower the max. transmission rate to 1 MB/s so that the server is transcoding then the audio works. However of course the quality is worse and I have stutterings.

_no_sound_server-63592859565.zip

Edited by andi_s

Hello,

I am also using EMBY for Android TV and have also problems with audio. Not on all files, but on several ones. Problems are:

- no audio at all

- switching between different audio tracks does not work although the audio tracks are shown and available to choose one

I have EMBY server on Windows using actual version and also tried actual beta version (3.0.5897.0).

The Android TV app I am using on a Philips Philips 40PUK6400/12. But I also tried it on a HP Android tablet and got the same results.

I attach a log file that was written while I was trying to play a movie which had no sound.

When I play the media files with MXPlayer on the same devices everything works correct.

Would probably also be an option to enable the option to choose an external player like in the standard Android version.

Can you please help to solve the problem.

update:

the version of the Android TV app is 1.1.46g

I tried both the audio options "direct" and "compatible" but neither worked.

The missing audio occurs when the file is plyed directly without transcoding.

When I lower the max. transmission rate to 1 MB/s so that the server is transcoding then the audio works. However of course the quality is worse and I have stutterings.

Please try the beta version.  Android Open Beta Testing

Hardware Setup:

Nexus Player --> HDMI --> AVR X2000 (Denon) --> HDMI --> Samsung UN55H6350

It most definitely can handle DD, and previously when using the VLC player that is what it did for audio.   But with transcoding, for some reason it would always transcode DD to multi PCM which was fine by me as I have a 4790k running the Emby server.     I am on .58 now and same behavior.  I also tried a video file that only has Stereo (shows 'STEREO' in the info) and it also has silence unless I turn on compatibility mode.

At this point I should probably check my version of emby server, I guess.. been behind on updating these things.  will do that next.

Edit:  now on emby-server-3.0.5879-773.1  and behavior is the same.

Please go to the settings and turn on debug options.  Then play one of these items and go back to home and send the log.

Then come back in here and tell me the name of the emby user that was logged in and paste in the media info from the server for the item you played.

Thanks.

kefler

Ok --

Media Info

Video
CodecH264

ProfileHigh

Level41

Resolution1280x720

Aspect ratio16:9

AnamorphicNo

InterlacedNo

Framerate23.97602

Bitrate4361 kbps

Bit depth8 bit

Pixel formatyuv420p

Ref frames5

Audio
Languageeng

CodecAC3

Layout5.1

Channels6 ch

Bitrate375 kbps

Sample rate48000 khz

DefaultYes
Containermkv
Path/media/TV/The Walking Dead/Season 06/The Walking Dead - 6x12 - Not Tomorrow Yet.mkv

Was logged in as user 'Stephen'  .. Just sent logs.

The second time you played it in compatible mode, right?  It transcoded to 2-channel and sound worked?

The only thing I see that is fishy in your first playback is this:

libOpenSLES: class OutputMix interface 0 requested but unavailable MPH=43

I believe that may be the reason there is no audio but I don't know why it is happening to you.

Try re-booting the Nexus Player while connected to the AVR and it on the right input and the AVR is powered on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Solution
kefler

Again -- sorry, I've been on the road until last night.   Tried many different things when I could, but after going through the receiver settings I found at some point, someone (me really) had set it to decode PCM always.    The options were DTS, PCM, or Auto.     Setting it back to auto fixed the negotation between the nexus player and the reciever..  Direct mode works again!   Interestingly, video files that come in as Multi-channel PCM didn't work before but now do.  But I also get dolby digital for other files in direct mode now too. 

carry on..

• Like 1