DLNA n00b questions

jkasanic

jkasanic

First, I checked the Wiki but the DLNA section is "coming soon".  Until now, I've strictly used hardware playback on all my devices (e.g. Popcorn Hour, WDTV Live etc).  I'm interested in connecting my devices to my Emby Media share (presumably using only direct playback) but I'm having playback problems with various files that work correctly on each device when streaming through a network share using SMB.

So here are my n00b questions:

1.  Exactly what information do I need to provide to help troubleshoot playback issues of certain files?  I know how to use media info to display file specs and I've also found where to turn on debug logging in Emby but will this include the DLNA logs I've seen others post?

2.  How exactly do the DLNA profiles work?  I see a WDTV Live as well as Popcorn Hour profile on the DLNA page in Emby but do I need to add profiles for my various devices or do the devices communicate a device name in their header that automatically chooses the correct profile?

Sorry for all the basic questions as I'm also doing some online research to augment my very limited understanding of DLNA.  :unsure:

openprivacy

I have a similar question, as I have a new Sony BDP-S3700 which lists all my movies in a single column ignoring collections rather than as posters or any other format as on web or Android app. There's a "Sony Blu-ray player" profile, but how can I tell if it's being used, or modify it so that it is being used?

I'm starting to look at http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/30947-dynamic-create-of-profiles/ - if I figure out the answer I'll post.

Thanks for a great project!

openprivacy

OK, I got one step closer: my Profile in /var/lib/emby-server/config/dlna/user/ appears to be accepted now:

Info UpnpContentDirectory: Profile: Sony Blu-ray Player, Path: /media/xtra/Videos/...

To make this happen I replaced the HttpHeaderInfo lines with User-Agent (my UserAgent appears to be UPnP/1.0 DLNADOC/1.50) and a simplified Unit-Info substring (old on top, new below):

<       <HttpHeaderInfo name="X-AV-Client-Info" value="(Blu-ray Disc Player|Home Theater System|Home Theatre System|Media Player)" match="Regex" />
<       <HttpHeaderInfo name="X-AV-Physical-Unit-Info" value="(Blu-ray Disc Player|Home Theater System|Home Theatre System|Media Player)" match="Regex" />
---
>       <HttpHeaderInfo name="User-Agent" value="UPnP" match="Substring" />
>       <HttpHeaderInfo name="X-AV-Physical-Unit-Info" value="BDP-" match="Substring" />

But my TV screen still shows no artwork and just a raw list of movies. But I'm a step closer.

Anyway, I hope the above helps someone.

jkasanic

Despite still not having a much better understanding of DLNA profiles or interpreting the DLNA or transcode log files, I think a big problem is the files I can direct play through my WDTV are attempting to be transcoded.  i noticed an error starting ffmpeg in the transcode log file for one of the titles but I'm not sure if these issues are related or in addition to what I have already. I haven't purchased the iOS app yet but the 1 min preview seems to be working for my high bitrate mkv files. 

in addition, I'm experiencing the exact same issue described here when trying to use to the Play To option from the web interface:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/9223-wd-tv-live-smp-playto-not-working/

Attached are emby server and transcode log files of the errors I receive when trying to play a file over emby media server with my WDTV Live (last version to have Netflix) which can play the file directly over a network share from my UnRAID server using smb.  It seems I have an IO write error but I don't really understand why it's trying to transcode the file when it can direct play it fine? Is this a profile issue with the DTS audio track? AC3 tv rips seem to playback fine.

EDIT: well, some of my DTS tv BR rips are working with Direct Streaming so it doesn't appear to be the DTS track. The other difference I know of between these files is the bitrate (see movie.txt vs tv.txt). TV file works but movie not.

EDIT 2: So the bitrate limitation in the WDTV Live profile was the issue.  This post helped me resolve the issue:  http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/10280-wd-tv-live/

Edited by jkasanic

OK, I got one step closer: my Profile in /var/lib/emby-server/config/dlna/user/ appears to be accepted now:

Info UpnpContentDirectory: Profile: Sony Blu-ray Player, Path: /media/xtra/Videos/...

To make this happen I replaced the HttpHeaderInfo lines with User-Agent (my UserAgent appears to be UPnP/1.0 DLNADOC/1.50) and a simplified Unit-Info substring (old on top, new below):

<       <HttpHeaderInfo name="X-AV-Client-Info" value="(Blu-ray Disc Player|Home Theater System|Home Theatre System|Media Player)" match="Regex" />
<       <HttpHeaderInfo name="X-AV-Physical-Unit-Info" value="(Blu-ray Disc Player|Home Theater System|Home Theatre System|Media Player)" match="Regex" />
---
>       <HttpHeaderInfo name="User-Agent" value="UPnP" match="Substring" />
>       <HttpHeaderInfo name="X-AV-Physical-Unit-Info" value="BDP-" match="Substring" />

But my TV screen still shows no artwork and just a raw list of movies. But I'm a step closer.

Anyway, I hope the above helps someone.

Hi, I'm afraid I don't quite know the answer as I don't have your device available for testing. How did it go?