Server unreachable at startup

richie83
Go to solution Solved by richie83,

richie83

I'm running Openelec 6.0.3 on an Intel NUC, previously connecting to a shared SQL, emby server is on a Synology NAS with (for now) hibernation disabled).

I've now shifted over to emby for kodi and for the most part, works great.

At startup, the server messages box comes up with 'server unreachable' and then 15 seconds or so later, says that it has connected.

Log is located here: http://goo.gl/1majF5

Thanks in advance.

Edited by richie83

Angelblue05

I would try to enable the wait for network option in your kodi openelec settings > network. If that doesn't help, you can add a delay to the emby service before it starts in the add-on settings > advanced. However, I'm fairly certain the first option will work fine.

It seems to me like Kodi is not fully connected to your network at the start (as in it's still initializing). So trying to reach your server so soon, always fails and then connects 10-15seconds later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelblue05

richie83

I've already got a delay set in openelec from using a shared SQL previously, which I hadn't changed. I'll add in a delay for Emby and see how I go.

• Like 1

richie83

Yes and no. Usually, I hibernate my NAS (as in disk spin down, not completely off). Since installing emby, I've disabled that for the time being just to reduce the amount of potential problems. So now, it runs all the time. Previously, running Kodi with shared SQL, I needed a delay of 5 seconds or so for kodi to 'connect' to the SQL. The reasoning on the kodi/openelec forums was that booting with an SSD brought up kodi too fast for the network adapter to initialise, was such a prevalent problem they added a network delay within openelec itself as a gui option.

So I have kept that 5 second delay in openelec, but it still takes time for emby to connect (hence host unreachable warning), so it's pretty much the same issue as the SQL, but needs an even longer delay.

I'm not sure how it can be fixed, maybe changing the network adapter to initialise before everything else? I'm not sure, it's a bit beyond me.

I might actually try the wakeonlan.xml script, apparently if you use that it will just blank screen until it connects. My main issue at the moment is my daughter turns on Kodi, then it goes straight in, she clicks on something to watch before it's logged in to emby, then it errors and she doesn't quite understand, more of just a 'quality of life' improvement.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Well if you delay emby by, let's say 20 seconds (in your log, it was 15 seconds, but to be safe), does it connect straight away once the time is up?

richie83

I'll have to try when I get home. I found with the 15s delay for emby, was that kodi would get to the gui and then emby would connect, which is kinda the issue. If I can prevent kodi from getting to the gui (as in, it just sits at the kodi splashscreen), would be more feasible. 

I'll play around with both delays when I get home and see if I can get it working. To be honest, I think it's more an openelec/kodi issue than an emby issue, running another media player on my NUC, it connects as soon as it boots. I'd be keen to try some sort of 'emby only' player and see what that does.

• Like 1