Update folders/files on disk, but emby does not pick up changes on scan

punchycool

punchycool

I update folder names and file names on disk. I then rescan my library (Library>Scan Library). However, the changes I made are not present in the UI. I'm using Firefox web client for example.

As an example, for a given artist I went through a given album and renamed the files (I added the track number to the prefix; e.g., "01 Song Title.4a". I thought the scan would pick up on this and clean up my metadata by putting the correct track number there and cleaning up the title of the song (e.g., Song Tit.m4a"). But, it does not work.

Am I not entitled the update the folder/files on disk once I've initially scanned the data? Thanks all.

Renaming files and folders works just fine, but that is not always the primary source of metadata. For example, song titles come from embedded tags (when available). If the folders have nfo files, those files will also have metadata values, so when you rename the folder, you're still retaining the original metadata file.

Deathsquirrel

For music you really want to do those edits using an ID3 tag editor, I don't know that the file names matter much at all.

• Like 1

For music you really want to do those edits using an ID3 tag editor, I don't know that the file names matter much at all.

Yes, that the best thing to do.

punchycool

Got it thanks much. An alternative seems to be deleting the nfo files for the artist and albums and rescanning (after making my edits to ID3 tags and folder/file names).