Roku like remote for Shield, what are my options?

pclausen

pclausen

About a week ago I upgraded my mom's Roku 3 to a Shield.  I got her the one with the bundled remote.

I went back over yesterday to see how she liked in, and while she really likes the much improved UI and speed, she hates the remote.

I played around with it for a while, and I'll admit that it kinda sucks.  It is very easy to hit the center of the circle by mistake and go to the detail for a particular title instead of continuing the browse.

So are there any simple Roku like remote alternatives that I can get for her?

I don't really want to go to all the hassle of getting a Harmony remote, just a very basic remote that works well with Emby and Netflix.

She's 82 years old and have otherwise made the transition from the Roku which she has had for over a year, which I think is pretty impressive.  She loves Emby on the Shield, just not the remote. :)

Edited by pclausen

The Amazon Fire Stick remote can be paired and works well apparently if you are not worried about voice control. 

Does the actual Fire remote work as well?  Because, that one is a much higher-quality remote than the stick version.

It looks like the Shield people really fell down on the remote - no play button?? Really...?

No idea on the different versions and I only looked at the Stick remote as it is available for ~ £/$15. Details of how to pair it here: 

I now quite like the Shield remote and I have got used to the double press of the big centre button to pause/play. Hugely expensive for what it is though.

Redshirt

The fact it's metal is pretty cool, but the lack of a play/pause and menu button are just mind boggling. You've got the play button on the game controller but I don't think many in this community are using their game controllers as their primary remote.

pclausen

Thanks guys.  I went ahead and ordered the Fire Stick Remote.  $14.99 with free shipping directly from Amazon.

I agree that the Shield all metal remote is very slick and I bet that after using it for a while, I'd get used to it.  I'll definitely hold on to it.  But for my mom, I think that Fire remote will be perfect.

I also hooked her up with a Logitech K400 wireless keyboard for searching instead of poking in letters with the remote.  (I know voice would work too, but it's having a hard time with her Danish accent, lol).

If someone tries a true fire remote, let us know here.  The stick remote feels really cheap to me and the buttons don't press nearly as well as the true Fire remote.

As long as it is Bluetooth you should be able to pair it. Few have tried as you can't seem to easily buy the Fire remote whilst the stick remote is generally available at low cost.

Off-topic but, if you guys want to see what a remote for one of these streaming boxes should be, check out the remote for the new Apple TV 4.

It is a brilliant example of simple elegance that does everything you need (short of power up/down your other equipment).

Apple stuff is expensive, but, man, they know how to design a usable product...