Emby only plays PCM Stereo

Ronski

CBers

I get DD passed through from my Shield to my TV from the Emby ATV, Tiamat and Kodi/SPMC.

I get DD passed through from my Shield to my TV from the Emby ATV, Tiamat and Kodi/SPMC.

And DTS too if your hardware supports it (beta version of the app).

Ronski

Just tested on the Nvidia Sheild TV, Emby version 1.1.69g

Dolby True HD/Atmos results in PCM

Dolby Digital works

A film with Dolby Digital & Atmos tracks results in the DD track being played

A film with DTS & DTS-HD results in DTS (SPMC passes through DTS-HD), which means no DTS X, but still a big improvement over the Fire TV

A film with just DTS plays as DTS

So it seems its only thing lacking is the handling of True HD/Atmos & DTS HD/DTS X

Does the above seem right?

Edited by Ronski

Ronski

Just given it a try, first of all DTS came through as Dolby Digital, then I found an option that converts DTS to Dolby so turned that off. That resulted as DTS being stereo PCM. True HD/Atmos also came through as stereo PCM

Just given it a try, first of all DTS came through as Dolby Digital, then I found an option that converts DTS to Dolby so turned that off. That resulted as DTS being stereo PCM. True HD/Atmos also came through as stereo PCM

The device only supports Dolby (not DTS) so that is why there is the option to convert DTS to DD.  At least you get full 5.1 that way.

Ronski

Didn't realise that, or more likely I'd simply forgotten. What did you want specifically testing?

The fact that DD now will play and you can transcode DTS to DD as well which you did confirm.

In short - you can now get 5.1 bitstreaming out of the Fire TV.

Ronski

Should it automatically select the best audio track given the hardware limitations, or is there an option to select the audio track? I tried one movie last night which has a True HD track and a AC3 5.1 track and I'm sure it played in PCM stereo.

I only have a PJ and electric screen so only prefer to check things when I'm going to watch a film, one day I'll get a TV for in there as well and that will make it lot easier for testing things.

• 7 months later...
dRuEFFECT

Sorry to be reviving an old thread, but I seem to be having an issue not getting DTS passthrough to work on my FireTV (gen1) using optical out. The option for DTS passthrough is most definitely there in the settings, so I'd expect it to work, and yet it doesn't so I'm confused.

Thoughts?

I've sent in a request for the beta, so I'm willing to try that out if need be.

It would be best if you started a new topic with complete details about the item being played and exactly what happens but the first gen box and optical connection could be limiting factors...

dRuEFFECT

It would be best if you started a new topic with complete details about the item being played and exactly what happens but the first gen box and optical connection could be limiting factors...

will do, thanks.