Help with my NAS

Julz

I upgraded from MB2 to MB3 about 4 weeks ago. seemed pretty cool until the first update at which point some of the refreshes stopped working properly, they would just stop and I'd have to restart the sever to get them to work. then a few days ago, I think after another update video playback on my xbox 360 and also on my laptop using media browser classic started jumping and freezing and I had trouble accessing my NAS drive. This trouble stopped when I killed the media browser service and I was able to use the xbox's standard media centre interface. I tried restarting the PC the server was running on but with the media browser server running I had the same problems so I decided to try re-installing the media browser server.

After uninstalling media browser I made the discovery that my NAS drive that had over 6TB of TV episodes a few days ago now only has 115GB of data on it. After further investigation it appears that all the files that were first added to my library have been deleted and I am now left with only files that were added after media browser was first installed on the 17th or 18th of november.

As I have uninstalled media browser I don't know if I can provide logs, but what I am more concerned about is if its possible for me to get the data back?

It's a mighty big coincidence then that the only files affected are those that where in the media browser library...

I believe there is no other possible explanation, unless you choose to believe that someone hacked into my network and selectively deleted only the files that were in my media browser library.

I'm sure there is a disclaimer somewhere that says you are not responsible for any loss of data from the use of your software. I was hoping I might be offered some useful ideas on how to go about recovering the data without sending my NAS drive to a data forensic company but have no intention of trying to get you to pay for recovery.

As I said there is no other explanation for the loss of data. There has only been 1 computer with access to the drive other than access from my xbox and laptop through media browser. The only operations preformed on the drive other than media browser access where writing new video files.

I'm surprised that you are not interested in investigating the problem, if you change your mind I'm willing to help if I can but until its looked into I'll be looking for other software to use. might go back to MB2 for the time being

we don't have any code in our code base that deletes media files, unless you specially use the delete function. that's how i know. the last person who made this claim turned out to have a failing drive after i chased my tail around looking for an explanation.

I've scanned the drive to make sure it is not failing, if it was it would be statistically impossible that a failing drive would only affect the files in the media browser library. I repair computers for a living so I know there's a lot that can go wrong with them, which is why I've already looked into the problem before posting asking for help. I am pretty sure the files disappeared during the uninstall process.

I had MBC installed. Not sure if the delete function was enabled, if it was I hadn't used it.