84 members have voted

1. 1. Whats your plans for 4k

• Nothing
    • Not worth the upgrade
    • New additions to the collection will be 4k
    • I will rebuild my library with 4k replacements

epayson85

http://www.cnet.com/news/ultra-hd-4k-blu-ray-what-we-know/

That tells you what you need to know about 4K playback and the Ultra HD disk format.

Disk bundles are available on Amazon. Usually includes Ultra HD, Bluray and Digital. example - http://smile.amazon.com/Enders-Game-Ultra-Blu-ray-Digital/dp/B01AJWTHBQ/

thats amazing lol so all these people buying 4k tv's last year and even potentially this year if you aren't buying the newest models still can't even get the most out of 4k.  This garbage is just getting out of hand.  My gf's dad for example bought a blu-ray player like a year after they came out.  Now he can't even watch movies with it anymore because samsung stopped releasing updates for it.  Discs with updated security won't work in it so he has to buy a new player.  You go buy a new 4k tv... o well thats 4k but it doesn't have the latest HDMI so it can't actually support FULL 4k blu-ray players to their full potential... WHAT?!?!?! LOL Remember that 3d Fad? Glad I didn't buy into that not to mention I hate 3d anyway.  3d is cool on a ride at disney / universal but a whole 2 hour movie? I'm not saying 4k is a fad its obviously going to be the new standard but no one is going to want to store 100+ gig movies with our current technology.  Then with what has happened with blu-rays there is no way I am ever buying a disc player with that DRM bull crap.  There are many reasons why people pirate movies and here is one of the main reasons.  Good luck to all you early adopters though.  I look forward to reading about all your experiences, frustrations, and finally upgrading in a couple more years when there is an actual standard.  Ultra 4k discs haven't even been cracked yet so I'm certainly in no hurry. 

• Like 1

RedBaron164

Majority of my collection is still 720p which stills looks fine through my 1080p projector on a 110" screen. I've only upgraded my favorite stuff to 1080p. I have no plans to replace any of my screens anytime soon. Not to mention storage requirements of 4k content. I just rebuilt my environment using a NAS running RAID 10 so I took a big hit on capacity for performance. I'm good when it comes to 1080p content but 4k would probably easily double my storage usage. With x.265 becoming more popular I've been slowing replacing some content with the new codec which has reduced storage usage but x.265 still isn't wide spread yet.

Not to mention the only screen I have that would probably really benefit from upgrading to 4k would be my projector. But I have no interest in replacing that projector anytime soon. It's only about 3 years old at this point. The rest of my screens are under 50" and I sit far enough away so 4k won't really benefit me. Not to mention lack of 4k content. That's beginning to change but still, adding everything up I see it being at least another 4 or 5 years before I start moving to 4k content.

• 2 weeks later...
Allan Cameron

How close to the screen were you standing...?

At best buy i was standing about 8 feet in front of them. At home i sit about 10 feet away, i have a 65' 4K samsung.

HDR is just amazing combined with 4K. Really looking foward to the next new few years worth of 4K titles. Just waiting for more choices with the players. Netflix does the trick for now, i have a 120Mbit connection so i get the full 4k quality streaming. Not as good as the disks, but still MUCH better then when i watch a 1080p stream.

• 2 weeks later...
shaefurr

I'm not in a huge rush, ive had a 58" 4K for a while now, but my audio receiver isnt 4K compatable. Which means using an optical connection for the audio, which in turn means no gaming in 5.1. That right there put me off from it lol. (Not spending $100 or so on a dolby live supported sound card). Not to mention my DSL here is 40mbit which doesn't stream 4K well at all.

Honestly though I have a 4K movie, but from my couch its hard to see an amazing difference between 4K and 1080. Maybe if I had a 70-80" it would be a better option, but I just don't see a point in upgrading my audio stuff for a limited amount of movies that are 10x the size of a 1080 rip.

Now if I come across a 4K GPU, and a new receiver at some point, thats a different story.

fredg89

I'm not in a huge rush, ive had a 58" 4K for a while now, but my audio receiver isnt 4K compatable. Which means using an optical connection for the audio, which in turn means no gaming in 5.1. That right there put me off from it lol. (Not spending $100 or so on a dolby live supported sound card). Not to mention my DSL here is 40mbit which doesn't stream 4K well at all.

Honestly though I have a 4K movie, but from my couch its hard to see an amazing difference between 4K and 1080. Maybe if I had a 70-80" it would be a better option, but I just don't see a point in upgrading my audio stuff for a limited amount of movies that are 10x the size of a 1080 rip.

Now if I come across a 4K GPU, and a new receiver at some point, thats a different story.

I just wish that h265 was more mature and had mass hardware support. I would take 1080p remux over 4k content right now. Maybe then people will start uploading 4k remux and then I would say 4k > 1080p remux....With that said...I do have a couple of 4k movies and tv shows.

Edited by fredg89
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
JeremyFr79

So moved to a new house, updated to a an 80" and 65" 4k TV's and while 4k content looks awesome, 1080p holds up just fine on both.  TV on the other hand.

Yeah, I recently was forced to buy a new TV and got a new 4k Samsung and I have to say even 720 upscales very nicely from my viewing distance (12+ feet).

1080 looks fantastic.  The only 4k content I've run on it so far was from Netflix so the bitrate was probably suspect and it really didn't look any better than 1080.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
fredg89

Yeah, I recently was forced to buy a new TV and got a new 4k Samsung and I have to say even 720 upscales very nicely from my viewing distance (12+ feet).

1080 looks fantastic.  The only 4k content I've run on it so far was from Netflix so the bitrate was probably suspect and it really didn't look any better than 1080.

I know you may not want to use up all your space but I would download a 4k movie and see how it looks compared to a 1080p Remux. 

Happy2Play

I know you may not want to use up all your space but I would download a 4k movie and see how it looks compared to a 1080p Remux. 

That is where x265 is going to give better compression and quality.  Both gradually making their way, no different then when x264 came on board.

If I stand 12 inches from the screen it looks great.  From my couch, I cannot tell the difference.  

Partially because of human (and my I guess) eyesight limitations and partially because my new set does a fantastic job of upscaling content to 4K.

Also one of my test items simply would not play back smoothly on the Shield in any player I tried.  Maybe because it was .264 instead of hevc.