Tips on Creating Playlists

Spaceboy

Spaceboy

Hello, as per the title i was looking for some tips that people may have come across with regards to creating playlists. I've got about 1700 albums and 25k songs and i reckon my playlist will be about 1500 songs once complete. What is the most efficient way (least number of clicks) of doing this, is there a better app than the web app?

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
edejaeger

Hello, as per the title i was looking for some tips that people may have come across with regards to creating playlists. I've got about 1700 albums and 25k songs and i reckon my playlist will be about 1500 songs once complete. What is the most efficient way (least number of clicks) of doing this, is there a better app than the web app?

cheers

Hi, Spaceboy,

Yes, as I wrote in my own thread, a fat client - if well developed ! - should be definitively quite more efficient than a thin one.

I believe (it is how I see it) that the best UI would be, for instance,

• a panel to the left with the playlists (and a "add" button to create a new one)
  • a much greater panel to the right with,
    • at its top, some fields to quickly search tracks from the artists, the albums' title, the tracks's title, the kind of music (Rock, Metal, Blues...), maybe the year, and personally I also need the tracks' length, as they are stored into the files' attributes
    • for the end of the panel, the result of the search, listed in a detailed view (in columns : artists, albums, year, tracks, duration, kind of music
  • an easy way to multi-select the items (CTRL+click, CTRL+Shift+click, CTRL+A, a button to invert the selected items)
  • a drag & drop to add the selected items into a playlist (into the left panel)
  • when a track already exist, the user should be asked to select which one he would like to keep (the one which already existed or the newly selected one)

When clicking onto a playlist, of course, it would be nice to list its content, and to be able to remove some items manually.

Both lists (the tracks stored into the playlists and the result of the search process) should be reordered by clicking onto the column's header.

What do you think of this first approach ? Could it be a good start for a UI specification ? :-)

B.R.

Eric D. J.

edejaeger

cheers

Just, if you are not a developer, a very quick and easy tool I used before I installed Emby : I used MS-Windows Media Player. Its interface is not so rich than the one I described, but it was also quite efficient.

I wanted to develop a small app to convert the WPL playlists files into the XML file I found where the Emby playlists are stored. It should be really quick to be developed. But, and I do not know why, Emby Server does not use its own XML files, so I do not know where they are stored :-(

Eric D. J.

we could do all this in the web client. it doesn't have to be an installed app.

edejaeger

we could do all this in the web client. it doesn't have to be an installed app.

Hello Luke,

Yes, you are right. But having an interface than auto-fits in full screen while you are using your tablet or smartphone or PC sounds better to me.

And the interfaces are smoother with a fat client, regardless the browser you use.

And also it is much easier to work on local file than using a browser, which means one has to upload the source file somewhere.

This is my opinion ☺

We can do all of that too in a browser. i have been thinking about a productivity sidebar for the web interface.

edejaeger

We can do all of that too in a browser. i have been thinking about a productivity sidebar for the web interface.

Hello Luke,

I think that the most important is the performance and how user-friendly is the interface. If the sidebar can meet these two conditions, at least it could bring a consistent user experience.

But... Well... Do you know if someone will work on this interface ? :-)

There is one issue at that time in the Web interface : all the tracks stored into the playlists are not displayed, but only the (maybe 100) firsts that have been added.

Then a tool to import an existing playlist would be great. I have WPL files and I wanted to convert them into the XML files I found in the Emby Server's playlists folder (the firsts tracks I added are stored into the file I found). But when I add a track manually, it is not taken into account.

Do you know which files are used to store them ?

Many thanks by advanced.

B.R.

Eric D. J.

• 1 year later...
The next release of Emby Server will support importing playlists of the following formats:

• m3u

• pls

• wpl

• zpl

Enjoy.