proper anime support

Hakker

I know it's not the biggest group out there but currently the support of it is pretty bad. So here is an idea.

Why not add a separate category/media type for it. Let it grab the data from anidb with a backup scraper from tvdb.

the api anidb provides should give you everything you need along with better support than tvdb already has. The main thing I don't know is how anidb deals with image scraping.

The point being is that the tvdb scraper is just lacking and anime naming scheme differs from TV. letting it have it's own media type/category could probably eliminate a lot of issues.

Now I have anime series dealt with as movies and not just 1 but a ton also a lot of names still have group names in the title becuase most anime groups use [group]_title_-_ep_(encnode info)[CRC] and a version with the underscores.

• Like 2

Koleckai Silvestri

there is an Anime plugin for the server that gets information from Anidb. The plugin is called Anime with a blue tile.

Deathsquirrel

I guess I'm not a purist, I like it just fine as is and can't stand the metadata scraped by the plugin.  The TVDB format works well for me.

ctrlaltdefeat

I guess I'm not a purist, I like it just fine as is and can't stand the metadata scraped by the plugin.  The TVDB format works well for me.

Not everyone uses TVDB(as personally, i cant stand the englishified names and the separate shows being treated as seasons)

When you use anidb as indexer you're pretty much screwed because metadata will be fetched from both TVDB(a season full of missing episodes) and an unknown season from anidb(where the files are at)

• Like 1

there is an Anime plugin for the server that gets information from Anidb. The plugin is called Anime with a blue tile.

You mean the one that is broken and hasn't been worked on for months.

Also TVDB is incomplete and englishfied. Also a ton of shows get tagged as a movie because of it.

Koleckai Silvestri

Also TVDB is incomplete and englishfied. Also a ton of shows get tagged as a movie because of it.

Sorry didn't know it doesn't work. Was trying to help. I removed it a year ago because I didn't want all the extraneous categories. You should petition to have it removed then. I get all my Anime information from thetvdb.com and tmdb.org. Good enough for me.

Deathsquirrel

Excepting the 'incomplete' part, that's what I LIKE about the TMDB/TVDB method of tagging anime :)

• 1 month later...
Letters

I'd like to throw my support in for this. Compared to Plex this is the only clear shortcoming to me.

Currently I have to run most of my new anime through a separate Kodi install I have dedicated to export anidb NFOs.

• 2 months later...
egandt

I've been trying to install the Anime plugin without any sucess, other plugins install, but not that one.

ERIC

I've been trying to install the Anime plugin without any sucess, other plugins install, but not that one.

ERIC

Hi, please describe your issue in more detail, thanks.

Angelblue05

Are you sure it's not working? The Anime plugin will not show up under plugins after being installed. You will find the options under metadata-services. They should display as metadata options for series, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 years later...
Dizzy49

Sorry to revive this thread, but it DID say to search before posting :P

Still waiting on some good Anime support.  I have the Anime plugin (and have for a while now), but some better support would be nice.  At the very least, I would like to not have to figure out what season and episode "One Piece - 997" is.  Right now I have to manually add the SXXEYY to every single one (and I have a LOT).  It is very time consuming when going through my archive, and annoying as hell for current shows.  Then of course there are the times when it isn't even detected (ie Black Clover - 52).  Or the show can't be found at all (ie Sword Art Online - Alicization).

• Like 1

Yes I agree it would be great, but there is always more work to be done on Live TV, mobile downloading, etc. In other words, the features that many more people use. That is why for something like anime we tend to rely on community help via metadata plugins.

• 1 month later...

Luke, one of the big complaints for Emby out of all the other media servers available is the lack of proper Anime support. Just about everything else has AniDB or similar built in these days.

Been waiting 2 years for the community plugin to work, suppose I'll wait 2 more.

This thread itself is nearly 3 years old.

Point is, maybe devote a little time to it? I have a feeling with your understanding of Emby you can take the source off github and get it working fairly quick. The rest of us would stare at it for 2-3 weeks before we figure out how it's calling AniDB.

We're going as fast as we can to make everyone as happy as we can. Right now things like live tv and mobile downloading have a much larger audience and that is why our time gets prioritized towards them.