Photo

Lost all Genres

After one of the latest updat when I go to the metadata ed genre

Best Answer ronvp , 29 December 2013 - 08:42 AM

I found the issue. It repeats each and every time on each movie.  I use mostly MP4 files all complete with full Metadata, including the Genres. When I delete the Genres from the MP4 metadata, it all works perfectly. So somehow, when you have the Genres inside the MP4 metadata, it is pulled by the manual refresh and then it is not parsed causing the Genres to show as a single line. Anyway this can be fixed?

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 ronvp OFFLINE  

ronvp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 483 posts
  • Local time: 12:31 PM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

because that's how it is in your metadata. 

Luke, I realize that that is how it is pulled from the web, but why not parse the comma separated string? and break it out in different genres, Either when the Metadata is pulled from the web or when the server reads from the xml file. (First option is probably faster overall).

Also, If I have a movie that pulls "War,Crime,Drama") as a single genre from the web, and MB does not parse that as 3 separate genres, then I should be able to use the Genre cleaner to Map this to 3 different Genres, but that is not possible, After I map it to Say "War", I can not map it again to the others.

#22 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 135983 posts
  • Local time: 02:31 PM

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:40 PM

We do and we have ways of specifying multiple genres. But it sounds like either a provider or your XML is stuffing multiple genres into a single genre field. Don't shoot us over bad data.

#23 cylon OFFLINE  

cylon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • Local time: 04:31 AM
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 23 December 2013 - 04:42 PM

I am not sure I can help but here goes...

When you link a genre in the Genre Cleaner Plugin it puts the linked Genres in brackets ().

For example for TV I have Music & Musical linked which looks like this: "Music (Musical)"

According to your screenshot you have War, War & Politics, Adventure, Drama, War which looks like this:

"War (War & Politics, Adventure, Drama, War)"

I see two major problems with this:

1. You already have the Adventure genre set as follows "Adventure ( Adventure)" note the preceding space
    This seems like a conflict to me as the cleaner is trying to merge adventure under both the Adventure and War genres.
    I have no idea if this is normal but if it isn't it may be the cause of your issue.
  2. War is listed twice and there is nothing unique about either - same spelling, capitalization and no preceding space.

The act of forcing a refresh (the "Refresh Metadata" button) on a movie with internet metadata enabled and nothing disabled under Metadata > Advanced means that you want to replace all the metadata for that movie with what is currently on TMDB. This will wipe your custom genres.

Seeing as you only have a few movies that you manually set genres for and your Genre Cleaner looks pretty messed up at the moment I would do the following:

1. Reset the Genre Cleaner. I am not sure how to do this but @ebr or @Luke will be able to tell you if this is a good idea and how to do it.
  2. Do a full metadata refresh for all your movies from the internet (TMDB). I only have about 800 movies so maybe that is not enough to be exposed to some of the inconsistencies in the TMDB metadata but yours are far worse than mine - I don't have any movie genres to merge.
  3. Once you have that done manually set the genres for the handful of movies you want to set using the MBS Metadata Manager. Make sure you manually turn off overwriting the genre by scrolling down to the bottom and turning genres to "off" for each of the movies you don't want changed. This will stop Genres being overwritten when you click "Refresh Metadata"

Edited by cylon, 23 December 2013 - 10:43 AM.

• ebr likes this

#24 cylon OFFLINE  

cylon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:49 PM

I just had a bit more of a think about what you are trying to do.

Are you trying to merge multiple genres into the one genre title?

If so you need to use a different delimiter as MBS uses a comma. I think semicolons are also used by MBS so maybe use a hyphen or underscore.

If not then your genres are really messed up and you should just wipe them and start again as per my above post.

#25 cylon OFFLINE  

cylon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 05:56 PM

Here is a bit of a 101 on how genres are laid out in the metadata file:

<Genres>
    <Genre>Adventure</Genre>
    <Genre>Drama</Genre>
    <Genre>War</Genre>
  </Genres>

They should not look like this (what I assume at least one of your movies look like):

<Genres>
    <Genre>Adventure, Drama, War</Genre>
  </Genres>

• Luke likes this

#26 ronvp OFFLINE  

ronvp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:08 PM

Here is a bit of a 101 on how genres are laid out in the metadata file:

<Genres>
    <Genre>Adventure</Genre>
    <Genre>Drama</Genre>
    <Genre>War</Genre>
  </Genres>

They should not look like this (what I assume at least one of your movies look like):

<Genres>
    <Genre>Adventure, Drama, War</Genre>
  </Genres>

I realize that, but I have no control over how they are pulled from the web.. Also, it is not just a few movies. without being able to map the genres and MB showing them in groups, the genre view just does not work very well. All I need is about 15 Genres, right now, it is listing more than 60..

#27 ronvp OFFLINE  

ronvp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:10 PM

We do and we have ways of specifying multiple genres. But it sounds like either a provider or your XML is stuffing multiple genres into a single genre field. Don't shoot us over bad data.

Luke, I am using only the scrapers from MB. I looked over lots of movies and many have the bad genre issue..

#28 cylon OFFLINE  

cylon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 06:11 PM

@ronvp Can you give some examples of movies with bad metadata.

#29 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 135983 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:11 PM

you should remove the plugin, and refresh one of the affected movies from the edit page. then tell me if the problem persists, and if so, provide a detailed example.

#30 ronvp OFFLINE  

ronvp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:53 AM

you should remove the plugin, and refresh one of the affected movies from the edit page. then tell me if the problem persists, and if so, provide a detailed example.

Luke, I uninstalled Genre Cleaner, and refreshed the Movie "300".  This is copied direct from the movie.xml file immendiatlke following the refresh

<Genres>

<Genre>Action,Fantasy,War</Genre>

</Genres>

Here is the same thing for Armageddon"

<Genres>

<Genre>Action,Adventure,Sci-Fi,Thriller</Genre>

</Genres>

This one is for ""Charlie Wilsons War and that one works correctly..

<Genres>

<Genre>Drama</Genre>

<Genre>War</Genre>

</Genres>

<Genre>Drama|War</Genre>

Please let me know what else you need..

#31 WWWestern OFFLINE  

WWWestern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • Local time: 11:31 PM
  • LocationAtyrau, KZ

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:29 PM

Somewhat similar phenomenon occurs with the iТunes trailers. Many movies has the genre "Action and Adventure". It was expected, that " and " will be interpreted as a delimiter, but the parser does not pay attention to it.

#32 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46397 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:49 PM

Somewhat similar phenomenon occurs with the iТunes trailers. Many movies has the genre "Action and Adventure". It was expected, that " and " will be interpreted as a delimiter, but the parser does not pay attention to it.

No, I don't think that is valid.  "Action and Adventure" is a valid genre on its own.  Used a lot.

#33 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46397 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:50 PM

Luke, I uninstalled Genre Cleaner, and refreshed the Movie "300".  This is copied direct from the movie.xml file immendiatlke following the refresh

<Genres>

</Genres>

<Genres>

</Genres>

<Genres>

<Genre>Drama</Genre>

<Genre>War</Genre>

</Genres>

<Genre>Drama|War</Genre>

The one you say works doesn't look right either...

#34 ronvp OFFLINE  

ronvp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:14 PM

The one you say works doesn't look right either...

Ebr, what does a good one suppose to look like? Where is the problem coming from? I only use the MB scrapers..

Edited by ronvp, 24 December 2013 - 06:17 PM.

#35 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46397 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:34 PM

Not sure where the problem is coming from.  That logic has been working for a while so we'll have to investigate it.

I was referring to this:

<Genre>Drama|War</Genre>

I would expect that to be broken out.  Plus it was outside of the main "Genres" tag.

#36 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 135983 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:07 PM

<Genres>

</Genres>

<Genres>

</Genres>

<Genres>

<Genre>Drama</Genre>

<Genre>War</Genre>

</Genres>

<Genre>Drama|War</Genre>

I cannot reproduce this. After refreshing 300 I end up with

<Genres>
    <Genre>Action</Genre>
    <Genre>Drama</Genre>
    <Genre>History</Genre>
    <Genre>War</Genre>
    <Genre>Fantasy</Genre>
  </Genres>
  <Genre>Action|Drama|History|War|Fantasy</Genre>

#37 ronvp OFFLINE  

ronvp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:51 AM

It happens every time. I even completely deleted the XML file.. Can I select a different scraper?

#38 ebr OFFLINE  

ebr

Chief Bottle Washer

• Administrators
  • 46397 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:59 AM

Are you 100% sure you don't have a copy of MCM or MetaB somewhere that is actually writing these files too...?

#39 ronvp OFFLINE  

ronvp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:28 PM

Are you 100% sure you don't have a copy of MCM or MetaB somewhere that is actually writing these files too...?

Let me check, I had been playing with Plex and XBMC and uninstalled these. maybe there is a scraper still being loaded

#40 ronvp OFFLINE  

ronvp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 04:54 PM

Let me check, I had been playing with Plex and XBMC and uninstalled these. maybe there is a scraper still being loaded

I can not find any dll's or other leftovers from other scrapers but I found maybe a indicator for the issue. I uninstalled MB server and deleted the cache during the uninstall. I then I reinstalled MB Server,  and then the genres do show up correctly, then with a manual refresh of the individual movie, the problem returns..Is there some other cache that I may need to delete?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: After one of the latest updat, when I go to the metadata ed, genre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users