Question about the new MP4 conversion

jasonmcroy

jasonmcroy

So, I am not very well versed in the differences between MP4, MKV, .TS and the like other than understanding that different video players handle different containers easier than others. I know that they are all just a container.

How do the different containers work with surround sound and such. I ask because I tried out the MP4 conversion of my Live TV recordings and I noticed that it changes the audio to 2 channel instead of the 6 channels that I am accustomed to in the .TS files as that is what it records it in natively.   

I like the idea of converting to a more friendly container but I want to keep the surround sound for my Home Theater. Is this possible in an MP4 container? Does having the surround sound affect other apps ability to direct play so the point is moot to change to an MP4 format for that purpose if you're going to keep the 6 channels anyway?

jasonmcroy

Maybe I should ask my question in a different way for a quick answer:

Is the MP4 conversion supposed to convert 6 channels in AC3 format down to 2 channels acc? If so, is there any plan to allow it to convert to MP4 and keep the original audio format? 

jasonmcroy

Thanks Luke. However, I have done some testing today and it always converts the file to 2 channel aac. I double checked it by recording the same show on the HDHR DVR to verify the original file is coming through as 6 channel and it is. 

Here is the recording log:

record-transcode-de80857d-1d54-427f-8065-68f747132aa4.txt

• 3 weeks later...
jasonmcroy

Rather than start a new thread, I thought I would ask my question in an old thread I started about the MP4 conversion.

I like the idea of this for the video container. Currently it converts the audio to a 5.1 ACC. The original audio from Live TV is 5.1 AC3. For some reason, changing to 5.1 ACC really confuses my receiver and it doesn't know what to do with it so I end up with sometimes the audio works and sometimes it doesn't.

I also prefer to pass through my audio to my receiver. For some reason 5.1 ACC won't do that. 

I have done some research about this on Google and have seen there are some issues for some receivers with 5.1 ACC as it's not a common format. 

Is it possible to add in an option to only change the container to MP4 and allow the audio to pass through and be left as it is? I am not sure if that is something easy to change on your end or not. 

• Like 1