Transcode DTS to AC-3 on Android TV (vers. 5.1.1) like in Chromecast?

mmb

Hi, is it possible to include the option to transcode DTS 5.1 Sound to AC-3 5.1 Sound in the Android TV App (like it is in Chromecast-streaming, which works perfectly)?

Thanks,

mmb

DTS will already play as 5.1.  Why do you want to transcode to DD?

Many Android TV devices suffer from the inability to play AC3 streams properly right now as well.

Okay.  Most devices have the opposite problem.

One issue though is that you'd have to give up the direct playback you are getting now in order to do the transcode.

Given that, you may be able to accomplish the same thing by simply disabling VLC let the server transcode the audio to AAC 5.1.

Hey ebr, thanks for answer. Unfortunately that doesn't work. When i disable VLC Playback, everything is in Stereo. So i have to wait for Android 6.0, right?

I think this particular issue will require a specific fix from the TV vendor.

I think 6.0 fixes the issue that other devices have with DD but DTS/PCM works on 5.1.1 on most devices so I'm not sure what is breaking it on your TV - although I have heard that from a couple of TV owners.

I really would like to use Emby on my Sony Android TV, but without 5.1 on my DTS-Movies, it makes no sense. Plex has now the option to transcode DTS to Dolby Digital, when i disable "Passtrough". So i have to use Plex now, but hope Emby works in future also anyway with DTS and Dolby Digital on my Sony Android TV.

CBers

I really would like to use Emby on my Sony Android TV, but without 5.1 on my DTS-Movies, it makes no sense. Plex has now the option to transcode DTS to Dolby Digital, when i disable "Passtrough". So i have to use Plex now, but hope Emby works in future also anyway with DTS and Dolby Digital on my Sony Android TV.

Where/how do you disable "passthrough" with Plex ??

Just curious.

You can choose that in the settings of the Android TV App. Don't how to explain that in english, because the menu-steps are listet in german at my TV. Sorry, but it definitely works (with the right settings). You have also to install the latest version of the server.

• Like 1

You could do the same thing with our app if you are willing to give up the direct streaming (which is what you're doing when you disable passthru in Plex I'm guessing).

If you turn off VLC, the item will transcode on the server end and you will get full 5.1 sound (delivered as AAC which is the streaming format for 5.1).

@ebr: Thanks for you reply. Sadly both options doesn't work in my setup (Sony Android TV & Yamaha RX-V673). VLC and direct stream is the only way to get 5.1 in Dolby Digital. DTS is in every way send in stereo to my AVR.

• Like 1

Okay, so it is a case of the Sony TV not being able to pass the multi-channel PCM probably.

I know a lot of products are doing it but I actually don't believe it is legal for our server to translate some other format into AC3 as that is a format patented by Dolby Labs.  I think we can pass it along if it exists already but encoding it ourselves, I'm not so sure.