Initial Sync Speed for Kodi

dubs

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere, I've not found anything that specifically seems to cover this in relatively recent threads.

I've recently started using Emby, and generally am preferring it to Plex. However, I'm finding the initial sync of the library on Kodi using the Emby plugin to be slow, and even problematic in some situations. I've done it on a variety of devices with very different results (Note, I have quite a fair sized library, I've tried to include some relevant performance indicators)

- Amazon Fire TV, Ethernet - Initial sync took around 20 minutes.

- Windows 8.1, i7 Processor, SSD, Ethernet - Initial sync took around a minute

- Windows 10, i7 Processor, SSD, Wifi - Initial sync took a couple of minutes

- Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (Quad Core) - Over 2 hours and still not complete. Eventually the process just gives up (somewhere in TV Shows at "C" normally, I think its the tablet going to sleep), when I reload Kodi it starts from the beginning. Been trying for about 2 days.

During the sync I was disappointed to see that it is impossible to browse the TV / Films at all (I'd hoped the sync was just to speed things up later, that browsing before the sync completed would at least be almost as quick as Plex which doesn't require an initial sync).

I would start using the Emby apps and such, however until I'm happy everything will work as planned I'd rather not pay out for them / the premium membership. Additionally, my partner is the owner of the tablet and is very used to the Kodi interface and generally doesn't embrace change :).

I guess a summary of the question, is there a way to speed up the initial sync? Perhaps a plan to allow the library to be browsable, if a little more slowly than once the sync is complete?

Angelblue05

Yeah, I've tried to find a way to keep kodi awake during the initial sync, but there nothing. We just add to the database, of course when the device goes to sleep, the connection to the server is terminated, therefore never completes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'll have a go at copying the database across to the tablet manually, if that doesn't work I expect I might try and make the sleep time on the tablet and hour or 2 and just set reminders to press the screen every so often  :) .

I think one of the concerns I have is I timed my initial install perfectly that about 2 days later there needed to be a refresh of the database. I assume these aren't very regular because the idea of every few weeks me having to try and get Emby working on the tablet again (as well as having to wait for the Fire TV to resync!) doesn't exactly make for a seamless experience.

Thanks for the responses, I'll aim to remember to update with a hopeful success. I think it would be nice if it were possible to browse before the sync is complete (as I say, I come from Plex where once the plugin is working you can instantly browse, just with a few seconds of delay to load the list of TV shows/Films), however, I'm not a developer myself so I expect there are good reasons for the way things are done  :).

xnappo

We hope we are done with the initial sync changes, but you never know.  Certainly if you use 'stable' you will be much less likely to need to redo it.

We used to work like Plex - but you get a huge benefit with our db-based method - once the sync is done it is MUCH faster and it works with any skin.

Edited by xnappo
  • Like 1

Angelblue05

Not possible. Resets don't happen often and as I said in the announcement post, we are aiming to eradicate the need for them completely (except in the case where the playback mode is changed).

The reason why is that we are writing to the kodi database and querying your server heavily to try and complete the sync as fast as possible. If you start navigating around or even playing stuff, you might cause Kodi to freeze (because it will try to load from the database we are writing to, and also try to load artwork which is being cached at the same time).

This is not a plug and play add-on. We integrate into the Kodi database to give a seamless experience when using it, but your database needs to be imported once (afterward, it's just about maintaining sync between your server and kodi devices).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Thanks for the detailed responses, it's been greatly appreciated and I hope I didn't annoy too much  :D .

Hah never. :) Ask any questions you'd like. We are here to help. I just like to give a bit more details, at least it makes it easier to understand the process and why it can or can't be done. :)