Can Emby do what I want?

Dutchsamurai

Dutchsamurai

Hi there,

After 3 years of being HTCP less after moving abroad I'm finally going HTPC again but unlike my last setup I want to take a step up and stream to my phone and girlfriend's house.

Hardware:

Intel nuc6i5 (if it ever goes on sale where I live).

Plan:

- Use Kodi as the front end at home. I don't have much love for Kodi but I need it because of some plugins like the emulator browser. I don't think such options exist with Emby (or Plex).

- Use Emby as the media server to manage all my content AND use it to transcode media so I can stream from my phone.

So I think its not too complicated and after all the reading I've done I think Emby should be able to do all of this. I want Kodi/Emby to direct play everything on the NUC as no transcoding should be required. On my phone I want to use the android app and if possible I want have bitrate/resolution changed in the transcoding settings based on location. E.g. some wifi networks it should be 1mbit and on others as 10mbit or whatever (I'm using a portable wifi box for 4G connectivity).

For my girlfriend's place I plan on buying a FireTV. I assume it's possible to connect to the Emby server at my home and have the Emby frontend on the FireTV display my library and stream it there.

Will this work?

PS. I suppose transcoding & including subs isn't a problem at all?