Latest Emby update breaks direct stream?

hansolo77

hansolo77

I've been trying over 2 hours to get native/direct stream setup again so I cause it it with Kodi on my RPi2.  I had been using this method before, and none of my credentials have changed.  However, whenever I try to rebuild the database, it gives me an error on the first media item, saying it can't locate the file.  I've tried retyping the network network location as both an IP address and as a DNS (with out the // but //SERVER) and neither works.  I think by running it through the default (addon) mode it will work, but that limits the features and functionality I had been using before right?  Such as chapter entries, resume, etc?  Also, I think I had to go with a direct stream option as Kodi was trying to transcode my videos unnecessarily. 

Little help?

Angelblue05

Edit: I'm assuming you mean direct play and not direct stream.

Can you tell me how your paths are? it should be formatted this way to use SMB: \\{servername or ip}\path\to

Did you enter your credentials in the settings, this process changed since the previous stable so you need to re-add them. The server name needs to be the same as found in your paths.

Note if your paths are correctly formatted, it is possible Kodi will still say it's unable to locate the files due to credentials, so you can just ignore the message and keep syncing. You can always add the credentials after the initial sync because we no longer include the credentials in the paths.

Let me know.

Edited by Angelblue05

hansolo77

I didn't set up a path inside the hostname. My home servers name is CEREBRO. So I have the host name as simply that, without the // before it. Should have it as

//CEREBRO/Videos/

And let Emby determine if it's /TV Shows or /Movies?

Angelblue05

Your slashes are incorrect. It should be \\CEREBRO\Videos\

Then if you need to enter a username/pass to access the share, you go to the add-on settings > playback > network credentials. The server name will be CEREBRO, then enter your username and password. Restart Kodi.

hansolo77

Here's what I did. I went into settings, add-ons, and uninstalled Emby. I then went into my Kodi file manager and deleted all instances of Emby from the .kodi/add-ons path and the .kodi/userdata/add-ons path. I then rebooted and reinstalled Emby. It found the ip address of the server and connected. I picked my username from the list. It then asked for add-on or native stream playback. I chose native stream. It then asked for the networking credentials. I input the server name as CEREBRO, and the username/password to access the files as if I was at a computer. It then asked for the username's password for the Emby account and proceeded to begin adding content to Kodi's library like before. The first file it tries, it gives me an error about not being able to access the files and to verify the network credentials. However, if I select "No", the process continued and is continuing to add content. One thing to note, it's taking a lot longer than it did previously, so maybe a complete uninstall is what I needed. It's done with the movies and is now about 1/3 through TV.

Angelblue05

Yeah, Kodi needs a restart to reload the latest passwords.xml modifications after we added your credentials. So once the sync is over, restart Kodi then try to play something. Let me know.

hansolo77

Sounds like the setup script needs to include a catch to reboot Kodi after entering credentials...

After resyncing, it compressed the databases. I then rebooted. After a minute or so, the usual "Welcome Aaron!" message appeared from Emby. I tried to play a movie, but it just sits there. Going into the movies folder, I see all my content, but every one I click on says the file is no longer available and asks if I want to remove it from the library. It does this for Tv Shows too.

A quick check of the Emby settings shows all the correct settings for the ip address, user name, and to use native payback. I then entered the network credentials option and reentered the information then tried rebooting again.

Once I got the welcome message I tried again. Same results.

Angelblue05

Ok, then you might need to change to use the ip address. Please see this thread, it is most likely relevant to your situation: http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/30436-openelec-direct-play-problem/?p=292524

Essentially, replace CEREBOS with your local ip address on your emby library paths.

Edit: just add a path substitution in emby. From: \\CEBEROS

To: \\ipaddress

Edited by Angelblue05

Angelblue05

@

I don't know what we can do... Have the option to include user and pass like before? :/ do you have this issue with your rpi too?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hansolo77

It's still not working.  Set the network credentials to use the static ip address and not the DNS name, and it still craps out on the first media file saying it is unable to verify it's location.  I've tried using the server's admin username/password, as well as another computer's username/password that I can directly stream play the content from when using just a computer.  Somewhere, the login credentials must be getting lost.  If I go to resync from a fresh install, the data is all being inputted correctly.  But when it tries to actually grab the data, it fails on the very first item.  If I say NO to cancelling the sync, it will continue to add all the media but none of it is accessible and prompts to be removed from the library.  If I don't go through a native direct stream mode, and just use the default addon mode, it appears to work fine.  I don't know what else to try.  I never needed to setup a path redirection before.  When I go to play a media title after a resync.. it says specifically the correct path "\\CEREBRO\Videos\Movies\moviename\moviename.mkv" is no longer valid, remove from library?  So a redirection in this case wouldn't be necessary.  I could understand it if it was saying "192.168.1.5\moviename.mkv" is not valid, because that wouldn't be the correct full path.  It's clear to me that the issue is in the saving and loading of the login credentials to the direct play modes.

Angelblue05

@@HanSolo

The way kodi works is that it will associate the path to the credential in passwords.xml so they need to be the same. Changing in the network credentials only is not enough. You need to also do a path substitution in your emby server and make your paths look like \\IP ADDRESS\Videos\

So go to emby library > path substitution

To: \\IPADDRESS\

Then run a reset database in Kodi. Let me know it if it works then after the reset.

hansolo77

The videos path on my server isn't passworded.  You only need to supply credentials to access the server.  It has access to everyone.  There are private folders for users elsewhere, but Emby doesn't access them.

I did some more experimenting.  If I set Emby to play via HTTP instead of SMB and configure playback to use Native, it appears to work.  If I set SMB and Native, it doesn't.

I will try to set path substitution, though I've never needed it before.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Hm... well the setting has absolute nothing to do with what happens at import. It's only looked at, at playback time when using Addon mode. So it being enabled or disable plays no role in Native mode. So it should be fine to go then. Don't change anything if it's working. That means Kodi is able to access your paths.

You can test, just disable the setting and play something. It will still work.

Edited by Angelblue05

hansolo77

Resyncing after establishing the folder path redirection as indicated above.  Looks good.  In fact, it didn't give me any alerts about not being able to find the path when adding the first media file.  When it finished with movies and went on to TV Shows, I tried to watch a movie, and it loaded up instantly like always.  So maybe the redirection WAS needed, at least with this latest version?  I'll keep an eye on it though since it's still trying to sync the TV Shows.

• Like 1

Angelblue05

Yeah, well the difference is the following: We do not include your credentials in the path anymore. We used to import your path as \\server@user:pass\Videos... We no longer do this, instead we use the Kodi default way which is to add the credentials to passwords.xml. Bonus is that you can add them before or after the initial sync regardless or the playback mode, but it requires a Kodi restart for Kodi to properly load the credentials in.

Anyway, I'm glad it's resolved now. :)

Edited by Angelblue05

AmericanCrisis

Quick question forgive my ignorance... Does the Emby plugin update to the latest version automatically on Android devices (Nexus Player) or do I need to manually update it?

Angelblue05

Depends on your auto update selection. Go to add-ons, open the side menu, you should see auto update, which you can set to notify or disable or update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1