Android TV HDHomeRun Performance

mini__me

mini__me

Hi there,

I've just moved house and as part of the move have made the change up to a couple of HDHR4-2DT for better integration with EmbyTV for recording and viewing Live TV etc.

On setting up the HDHomeRuns through Emby I initially had issues with the HD performance I thought due to not having the network setup yet, however now I have and I'm still seeing lots of glitches on the HD channels when using Emby on both my Sony Android TV and also my FireTV.  This is both with LiveTV and Recorded TV on the HD channels.

To try and confirm my suspicion I have installed the HDHomeRun View application and this has no issues playing the HD Channels, other than the lack of Audio on the HD channels which is why I wasn't going to bother with their application and just use Emby, but I had to confirm it wasn't a problem with my network.  I've also just installed Aurora TV on the Sony and can confirm that plays the HDHomeRun channels smoothly without problems and with Audio :)

I've also confirmed that movies on my server with much higher bitrates playback without a problem through Emby so I don't think it can be an problem with my network, though I stand to be corrected....I suspect the issue is going to be down to the embedded VLC.  Are there any plans to update the version of VLC in the Android TV app at all?

Happy to provide example media files of recorded TV if it will help?

Below is an example of the media info from one of the recordings:

Media Info

Video

Codec H264

Profile High

Level 40

Resolution 1920x1080

Aspect ratio 16:9

Anamorphic No

Interlaced No

Framerate 25

Bitrate 3685 kbps

Bit depth 8 bit

Pixel format yuv420p

Ref frames 4

Audio

Language eng

Codec AAC_LATM

Profile LC

Layout stereo

Channels 2 ch

Sample rate 48000 khz

Default No

Audio

Language eng

Codec AAC_LATM

Profile HE-AACv2

Layout mono

Channels 1 ch

Sample rate 48000 khz

Default No

Subtitle

Language eng

Codec DVBSUB

Default No

Forced No

External No

Container ts

Cheers

mini

It may be the frame rate.  Is this PAL?

I don't have any issues with either streaming live HD channels or recordings on the Fire but I'm in the US.

mini__me

It does and is perfect, but then it takes ages for the stream start....which was the point of the HDHomeRun ;) To give me fast starting TV rather than DVBLink - WMC - ServerWMC - Emby - Client

Also recordings still suffer the problem as they are Direct :)

I understand, I just wanted to confirm that the issue was with VLC.

I'm not sure what to do about it then, though as it appears it is having trouble with that particular content.

mini__me

Yes I agree it would appear to be VLC with the problem :( Hence asking if there is an updated package maybe? Alternatively I may direct my question towards SiliconDust if it's something about they way they produce the stream from the device maybe?

As a test I browsed to Emby DLNA server through standalone VLC on my Sony Android TV and attempted to playback one of the recordings, if I'm reading the transcode log correctly is this just doing a stream copy? If so, this resultant file was choppy also in VLC as happens when playing back recordings in Emby, leading me to think this is a VLC / HDHomeRun incompatibility.

http://pastebin.com/vp0qjHTy

mini__me

The interlaced detection isn't right.

PAL 1920x1080 with a framerate of 25fps is surely interlaced.

You are quite right, good spot!

However, if Emby is handing off the stream from the HDHomeRun directly to VLC (for LiveTV), whatever Emby detects the stream as shouldn't matter should it?

Or does Emby tell VLC what to expect?

However, if Emby is handing off the stream from the HDHomeRun directly to VLC (for LiveTV), whatever Emby detects the stream as shouldn't matter should it?

Correct.  For the playing of the live stream it won't matter.

But, since we couldn't determine it properly that probably means VLC cannot either and may be the source of the problem.  It may be that the tuner isn't sending enough info.

Unfortunately, any later versions of VLC than the one we are using right now have made things worse, not better for us.

mini__me

Sad times :(

Might have to try out their DVR then to replace my old convoluted way of recording within WMC and sharing through Emby....that is once they sort out the audio in their app on the HD Channels, crappy VLC ruining my aim for Emby dominance in my house :(

I am still testing my setup but finding the same issues. Fire TV, HDHOMERUN, Win 10/8gb/i7/250gb SSD/4tb mirror. Running HDHOMERUN app on Firetv yields little to no choppy live tv. Running Emby with direct stream delivers choppy HD live tv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am still testing my setup but finding the same issues. Fire TV, HDHOMERUN, Win 10/8gb/i7/250gb SSD/4tb mirror. Running HDHOMERUN app on Firetv yields little to no choppy live tv. Running Emby with direct stream delivers choppy HD live tv.

Also PAL?

mini__me

Oddly recordings seem to ok tonight, found the wife watching a HD recording and no stutter! I'll have to check back once she's finished on this program for one that was stuttering definitely previously should it just be certain recordings or HD streams.

False alarm, stutter started 30 minutes in.

Edited by mini__me

axehandler

I wonder if this is like my issue with Direct stream and WMV..

I'm not a dev. just checking things is all :) - but can you load a recording to a usb and play it with VLC directly?

(from my thread)

I loaded a File Locally onto VLC and was still getting stuttering.

I looked into the setting and found "enable frame skip" was checked.

If I unselected it however....The video plays fine.

Axe

mini__me

I wonder if this is like my issue with Direct stream and WMV..

I'm not a dev. just checking things is all :) - but can you load a recording to a usb and play it with VLC directly?

(from my thread)

I loaded a File Locally onto VLC and was still getting stuttering.

I looked into the setting and found "enable frame skip" was checked.

If I unselected it however....The video plays fine.

Axe

I'll give it a go and see :)

mini__me

Well playing locally in VLC in one of my recordings stutters regardless of any of the dev options or performance enhancements so it's definitely a problem with VLC itself :(

Just to confirm it wasn't something to do with the local USB drive, I tried Kodi which played the file without fault and even the built in Android Media Player with the TV.... :(

Guess I'll be heading over to VLC, but then it could be months till this makes it across to Emby :(

Nathanio

I'm in the UK and using the same setup. I haven't had any issues that you guys are. I'm using a fire TV box and it is smooth.

Is there anything I can do to help you debug? Have you tried getting it to record to mp4 tobsee if it improves?

I have recorded it and it persists but I will try again. To be fair, the HDHOMERUN is a bit jerky also. Emby magnifies the problem. I have the AFTV plugged directly into the Uverse router, about 8 ft. I'm tempted to get one of those multi band routers to try to see if that will fix the problem as I'm running out of answers

Edited by DannyN

mini__me

Are you viewing HD streams? They are the only ones I have problems with.

As I said, I have taken a recording and played it locally on the devices through VLC and it stutters other players have no issue with the recording played locally, also the HDHomeRun app plays smoothly (with no audio currently on the HD channels) and the HDHomeRun plugin for Kodi plays smoothly on the FireTV/Stick and Sony ATV....so either there is something odd about the Freeview stream off the Sutton Coldfield transmitter that I'm viewing from, or there's something funky with my VLC running on all 4 Android devices I have to play Emby through.

I have no problems viewing with the Emby iOS app on iphone 6. Smooth as butter. I did test a Roku 3 and bad as well. I am going to test another TV. The current TV is about 8 years old... LG LCD

mini__me

Same here, smooth as, with any Emby app that transcodes like iOS or by disabling VLC to force a transcode...it's the ones that will direct stream and use VLC that I have the stutter in :(