Cant get emby server to install on windows 10

jkurk1981@gmail.com

jkurk1981@gmail.com

I have downloaded the install several times (stable and beta) and click on it to install and nothing happens. I right click and run as admin and it pops up and says "Windows can not access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." I have tried everything I can think of and still no luck. Any help would be appreciated. 

Hi, welcome, sorry to hear about this. Where exactly is this happening? Do you mind showing a screenshot? Thanks.

• Like 1

Raducanu

I have downloaded the install several times (stable and beta) and click on it to install and nothing happens. I right click and run as admin and it pops up and says "Windows can not access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item." I have tried everything I can think of and still no luck. Any help would be appreciated. 

Are you installing the server file from a network drive? You start the installation in a different security context (admin instead of your user account) which does not have the network permission/drive mapped.

• Like 1

Same is happening for the docker.

Hi, this doens't really have much to do with this thread. Docker is completely different, and you must specify the paths on the docker command line that the server is able to access.

Vitale4

I have Emby Server running Successfully on a W10 computer.  I was logged in as the administrator, downloaded the installation to the Desktop, then simply double clicked to install.  Installation proceeded without issue.  I would expect that this may be permission related and logging into the computer as an administrator allows it to install correctly.  Have you logged into your computer as an administrator and not do the install as administrator?  By Default, all of the cache and logs are installed to the logged in users location.

Are you installing the server file from a network drive? You start the installation in a different security context (admin instead of your user account) which does not have the network permission/drive mapped.

This sounds like a permissions to the file problem, and yes, it could be linked to permissions that are configured if the installer is on a non-local drive.  it may be worthwhile to copy the file to the root of your system drive (normally this is the C:\ drive) and then run it as an administrator there. 

Also, I have seen issues with installers that come from the non-local network sources where-in the computer's trusts are set to block installer files (<filename>.exe or <filename>.msi).  to over-ride this you can right click the file in question, select properties from the drop-down menu then check the General tab and select "unblock" at the bottom under the Advanced button (note that if the file isn't being blocked you won't see the unblock button).