create new genre?

chuga
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

Hi,

I have searched quite a bit and can't find the answer to this, but it is probably obvious and I just missed it.

How can I create a new Genre?   For example, "Christmas Movies".

I would then like browse through all of my movies and tag / add them to the new genre.

As a possible different question - I use mediacenter master also - if I open the metadata and add "Christmas" to the genre of a movie, how would that show up as a genre in MB3 server? 

thanks

chuga

Koleckai Silvestri

Go into the Web Client Metadata Manager. Edit the item that you're looking to add a Genre to. Scroll down to Genres and click the blue + button. Once you add it, the server will pick it up on the next scan. Save your metadata. Edit other items in the library as necessary.

I'll get a screenshot... just a moment.

5qJjeJw.png

Type in your new genre in the box like the example above and press the + icon.

If you add it in Media Center Master, it will show up when the server scans the library again. Everything is stored in XML files.

Edited by Wayne Luke
  • Like 3

Koleckai Silvestri

After you do that you can edit the Genre under Movies -> Genres and add a primary and backdrop image if you wish.

7Ey9g0a.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick reply, just what I was looking for.

It generated another question though... I store my media on an unraid server (and will run mb3 server on unraid when it is released) but currently run the mb3 server on my htpc.

If I update the genre using mb3 as you have shown does it update the metadata on the unraid server? Or is it a local mb3 server data cached on my htpc. I want to make sure the new genre would show up on other devices accessing the unraid box.....Roku, iPad, etc

Thanks again

Chuga

Thanks for the replies.

For now I will use mcm as it also generates netgear and other files I need. Or maybe I can play around to see if I can use mcm to regenerate files after mb3 updates metadata.

Long term when mb3 Linux server is out I can ditch the netgear neotv, and use Roku, iPad etc without having to turn on the htpc.

Thanks

Chuga

• 5 years later...

I know this is an old topic but how long does a new Genre take to appear, should I need to force some kind of update? 

The current 3.5 release will require you to run a library scan.

With the upcoming 3.6 release this will no longer be necessary, and they'll appear immediately.